Why players buy things from GTL that are cheaper in the Mart?

I've seen this multiple times, but rn the example right in front of me is the Max Repel.

Why people buy Max Repel for 1000 pokeyen or more in the GTL, if they can buy them in the mart for 900 pokeyen? You can buy hundreds at once there too, so what's the advantage of buying them from the GTL? If anyone knows the answer, please share it here. Thanks!

Edited by Totila
32 minutes ago, Totila said:

I've seen this multiple times, but rn the example right in front of me is the Max Repel.

Why people buy Max Repel for 1000 pokeyen or more in the GTL, if they can buy them in the mart for 900 pokeyen? You can buy hundreds at once there too, so what's the advantage of buying them from the GTL? If anyone knows the answer, please share it here. Thanks!

idk. People may forgot where they can buy and then decide to use GTL. That may not be the case for repels, but is 100% for TMs.

35 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

idk. People may forgot where they can buy and then decide to use GTL. That may not be the case for repels, but is 100% for TMs.

Yeah, makes sense for TMs, I've already done this in the past too IIRC.

But Max Repels can be bought in Marts that are either just around the corner from the Pokécenter's PC, or literally inside the Pokécenters. I'm confused. It also happens to other common items like Hyper Potions. It doesn't make any sense to me. Don't you need to grab the items you buy from GTL in a PC? I'd understand buying from GTL directly if the items magically appear in your bag, but I think you must go to a PC to retrieve them anyways, so why not go to the mart instead?

Edited by Totila
4 hours ago, MardukUchiha said:

When you have enough money, sometimes you don't know what to do with it.

How many players that have enough money and don't know what to do with it to sustain an economy this big?

image.png.f5a78f1397bda10cfce6e12798c5544f.png

And with no gain whatsoever, besides stocking on overpriced Max Repels...

And checking the Hyper Potions, it just seems all the deals have already been bought, because the overpriced entries left are fresh additions to the GTL
image.png.5dd0958431f8ad745d8ae89ba5e7539c.png

If Pokemmo's richest are so willing to toss their wealth on things like this, should I try to sell useless Magikarps for millions? Are there any chances someone decides to buy them for the sole purpose of helping a poor soul?

Items like higher-tier potions, repels, pokeballs, and TMs are gated behind storyline progression. Some players will pay a premium for better items, either because they donated and sold some RP and are now flush with cash for their story, or because they're running an alt and it's more convenient than logging back into their main.

It's not any kind of scam usually.

11 hours ago, Totila said:

¿Cuántos jugadores tienen suficiente dinero y no saben qué hacer con él para sostener una economía tan grande?

imagen.png.f5a78f1397bda10cfce6e12798c5544f.png

Y sin ganancia alguna, además de abastecerse de Max Repels caros...

Y al revisar las Hyper Potions, parece que todas las ofertas ya se han cerrado, porque las entradas con precios excesivos que quedan son nuevas adiciones al GTL.
imagen.png.5dd0958431f8ad745d8ae89ba5e7539c.png

Si los más ricos de Pokemmo están tan dispuestos a gastar su riqueza en cosas como esta, ¿debería intentar vender Magikarps inútiles por millones? ¿Existe alguna posibilidad de que alguien decida comprarlos con el único propósito de ayudar a una pobre alma?

The game is 11 years old, there must be quite a few millionaires.

And it's one thing to buy repellents and potions that you do need, and quite another thing to buy "useless magikarps" that have no benefit whatsoever.

Edited by MardukUchiha
11 hours ago, Damian said:

Items like higher-tier potions, repels, pokeballs, and TMs are gated behind storyline progression. Some players will pay a premium for better items, either because they donated and sold some RP and are now flush with cash for their story, or because they're running an alt and it's more convenient than logging back into their main.

It's not any kind of scam usually.

Oh! Now that makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

9 hours ago, Frag said:

i always buy tms and stuff from gtl, 3k+ is not worth one minute of my time running to the shop, time is more valuable than money u know.

also im lazy

I assume you aren't in Unova because it isn't even a minute there as the mart is inside the center. But Max Repels and Hyper Potions? Do you buy these oftenly?

12 minutes ago, MardukUchiha said:

The game is 11 years old, there must be quite a few millionaires.

And it's one thing to buy repellents and potions that you do need, and quite another thing to buy "useless magikarps" that have no benefit whatsoever.

Yeah I was joking about the magikarp, should have left an emoji to be clear. Either way, @Damian gave an answer that explains this perfectly. I still wouldn't believe pokemmo richest would keep spending on overpriced and not so important items daily in a way to sustain an economy that sells hundreds or maybe thousands per day. But the convenience of buying for a bit higher (as these items are gated by the storyline) instead of travelling back to another region when you are beginning a new one, or, in the case of an alt account, need another machine to be able to trade in between accounts, that makes total sense.