Pokemon Hunter - Trade in Pokemon to an NPC for Items

AngryGorilla

Question

Hello AngryGorilla Here,

Could it be possible to implement a feature where there is an NPC in each region, the purpose of this NPC is to act as a collector, and you are the "Pokemon Hunter". At the start of each in-game day cycle this NPC asks for a random pokemon native to the region they are in, to which if the player were to catch it on that day and turn it in they receive an item equivalent to the rarity of that pokemon. Same concept as the 2023 Xmas Event hunting the helpers for the elfbots. Some Kanto Examples can be if the player receives if they turn in:

• Magikarp - A Potion
  • Haunter - A Ultra Ball
  • Dragonair - A Nugget

These are just some examples to which in the end collectively as a community we can come up with and fine tune, the reward could also be a tm related to the pokemon. TM - Struggle Bug for Spinarak,

Possible locations for the NPC could be

• Kanto - Outside Pokemon Mansion Entrance
  • Johto - Outside Mt. Mortar Entrance
  • Hoenn - Outside Meteor Falls Entrance
  • Sinnoh - Outside Snowpoint Temple Entrance
  • Unova - Outside Celestial Tower Entrance

The point of this is to add some diversity to the game in just adding another feature the player can complete can even give the player a bronze badge on their trainer card if the complete 250 turn ins, silver badge for 500, gold for 1,000 and diamond for 2,500

Even if the player achieves all 5 catches across the regions, in the 4 day cycles its only 20 items the player has received in a fun side quest mini game.

Let me know you thoughts

Cheers

4 answers to this question

On 1/28/2024 at 7:45 AM, AngryGorilla said:

Hello AngryGorilla Here,

Could it be possible to implement a feature where there is an NPC in each region, the purpose of this NPC is to act as a collector, and you are the "Pokemon Hunter". At the start of each in-game day cycle this NPC asks for a random pokemon native to the region they are in, to which if the player were to catch it on that day and turn it in they receive an item equivalent to the rarity of that pokemon. Same concept as the 2023 Xmas Event hunting the helpers for the elfbots. Some Kanto Examples can be if the player receives if they turn in:

• Magikarp - A Potion
  • Haunter - A Ultra Ball
  • Dragonair - A Nugget

For me personally those kind of rewards arent even worth the little effort it would take to get them. If I recall correctly most people only did the xmas event for the vanities, balls with a higher shiny chance and a wishing stone for Jirachi maybe. It would take that level of rewards to motivate pple to use the feature unfortunately its unlikely they will release such high value items on a daily basis because of a) the effort to it takes to churn out daily vanities b) the Impact on the economy. The scary thing about your suggestion is that the staff released a similar version of it with better rewards (xmas 2023) but some people still hated it with a passion so you can only imagine the disaster that awaits a less rewarding version daily version. I don't see a daily version of the 2023 xmas event hunting happening.

Why didn't you adopt the 2023 xmas point system ,combine it with a reward system similar to the matchmaking reward system ,change the minor rewards every ingame month and change the major reward (untradeable hat vanity) every ingame season (Summer, Winter, etcs)?

On 1/30/2024 at 3:45 AM, BrokenJoker said:

For me personally those kind of rewards arent even worth the little effort it would take to get them. If I recall correctly most people only did the xmas event for the vanities, balls with a higher shiny chance and a wishing stone for Jirachi maybe. It would take that level of rewards to motivate pple to use the feature unfortunately its unlikely they will release such high value items on a daily basis because of a) the effort to it takes to churn out daily vanities b) the Impact on the economy. The scary thing about your suggestion is that the staff released a similar version of it with better rewards (xmas 2023) but some people still hated it with a passion so you can only imagine the disaster that awaits a less rewarding version daily version. I don't see a daily version of the 2023 xmas event hunting happening.

Why didn't you adopt the 2023 xmas point system ,combine it with a reward system similar to the matchmaking reward system ,change the minor rewards every ingame month and change the major reward (untradeable hat vanity) every ingame season (Summer, Winter, etcs)?

I agree with what you say but i also believe they hated some aspects of the xmas event because they were locked into some pokemon for hours aka Pineco, when was completely at random in the swarms, and they wanted to get the exclusive vanities and items, in this it is a random target that can be obtain anywhere in that region not swarms, solely go out there and find it, hence, it is little effort, absolutely but just small gameplay for a wider experience

Love it! This is a really well constructed and great suggestion!

Would be a really good idea to have some daily quests or turn-ins for the game. It would make sense if they made it into some kind of milestone thing. I also like the idea of earning badges to show off your hard work and dedication. Pokedex completion can be done in a week or two, but for daily quests/milestones there is a chance it could motivate people to log in and play the game more often and for longer hours.

After all, we have plenty of PvP rewards in the game. Why not add some rewards for completing PvE quests/milestones? Maybe even some more locations like north pole from 2016(if i remember correctly) to do some questing in. We already saw what was possible during last year’s xmas event. You had to catch the pokemon in those swarms to be able to turn them in. The devs can probably implement quests like these pretty easily since it has been done before. After playing the game for almost 12 years, i can tell that they are more than talented enough to make it happen.

Upvoted!