Shiny Recessive Gene

Quinzy18

Question

Seeing as shinies could be seen as Pokemon with a recessive gene, and considering how organisms' traits can change and present differently as they grow, I think it would be fun if all Pokemon had a slight chance at possessing a recessive shiny gene.

This could present itself as a small chance, lower than the current 1/30k shiny chance (such as 1/60k, or even lower), that when a Pokemon evolves it could turn into a shiny. The Pokemon is growing and its next stage now allows it to present its recessive shiny trait.

This would add an additional excitement factor to evolutions. We can have an option like egg hatching to turn off the evolution animation except when it evolves into a shiny (may be a separate suggestion). Imagine having a competitive Pokemon and leveling it up to lvl 100, when it evolves and becomes a shiny! How incredible would that feel! I think everyone hopes for it when breeding, and this could apply to wild caught Pokemon as well. 

Potential impacts - devaluing other great IV shinies that were wild caught or bred. Or even devaluing all shinies. I don't know enough to understand how likely this is.

Could continue to shiny lock gift and starter Pokemon so don't evolve into a shiny.

I also think that if a Pokemon becomes shiny, it locks the Pokemon into remaining a shiny. So, if it evolves again, it will retain its shiny status.

Feel free to let me know what else you think! Idk if this is even a worthwhile suggestion, but I thought it was a fun idea. Would love to hear what everyone else thinks about this.

3 answers to this question