[Denied]Move Tutors for Egg Moves

You could add an NPC that can teach your pokemon moves that are only learned by breeding. That way we could still use our existing pokemons.

Either make it a high fee, ie:300k, or make it so that you have to get some items, ie: if you want to learn a move on dragonite, you would need a dragon scale, on dusclops a shadow tag etc... 

just an opinion

Tutors will not be implemented "instead of" breeding, but having move tutors for such moves is possible. Title edited to be more clear on that.

It was a misleading title but like my previous post suggests breeding is likely to be coming next update so having tutors for exclusive breeding moves is not needed so no.

It was a misleading title but like my previous post suggests breeding is likely to be coming next update so having tutors for exclusive breeding moves is not needed so no.

You missed the point. People who alredy have 50-100 trained pokemons could use move tutors instead of breeding a new pokemon for only 1 move

I still think that the 'likely' is a stretch

I still think that the 'likely' is a stretch

Kyubeys are predictable after you get their pattern. (Unless he pulled a HOENN CONFIRMED one me again this is the real deal). Just think about it this wouldn't be renewable by respawn as they would have confirmed that before confirming this. They key word is renewable source.

You missed the point. People who alredy have 50-100 trained pokemons could use move tutors instead of breeding a new pokemon for only 1 move

I wish they made the game easier but they tend to lean to making things more challenging/difficult to get.

Support. This would make breeding less of a "must do" when it eventually gets implemented.
My fear there is that you'll only see people on their bikes west of Celadon with 5 eggs and 1 poke with them.
With this suggestion people can
A> Fix their comp pokemon of the moment
B> Still hunt pokes in the wild without losing much (just abit pricier maybe).

Support. This would make breeding less of a "must do" when it eventually gets implemented.
My fear there is that you'll only see people on their bikes west of Celadon with 5 eggs and 1 poke with them.
With this suggestion people can
A> Fix their comp pokemon of the moment
B> Still hunt pokes in the wild without losing much (just abit pricier maybe).

ok 1 problem here why would you care if people have 5 eggs and just 1 pokemon? they wont duel you if you challenge em cause they might have all lvl 5s and like 1 lvl 50 or so and 2 i dont understand what you mean by "B> Still hunt pokes in the wild without losing much (just abit pricier maybe)." try and clear that up for some people 

i also give support cause if you got that 1 pokemon with godly ivs and try to breed from it and the egg only has like 3 godly ivs then a tutor for egg moves would be great but idk how they are doing breeding here so...cant say just pends on how breeding works here :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

since my thread got locked bc this one exists i'll bump this one with what i wanted to post:

I don't play much and part of the reason why is the huge timesink breeding is.  While it's an essential tool to create top tier movesets, getting top tier pokemon out of it is super rare and an insane way to spend ones time.  It's been suggested that egg cycles be shortened and that flame body be implemented, but is this enough?

I had an idea that egg move tutors could be implemented:  NPCs that ask the player to complete quests for them in exchange for the teaching of one egg move to a pokemon.  These would be renewable quests that could have a cooldown on them.

The idea I had for the quests would be that the NPCs are looking for pokemon with particular egg moves, and perhaps a particular gender and nature if devs want to be bastards.  This still encourages breeding, and as a reward the NPC would teach a pokemon that belonged to one of the same egg groups as the traded pokemon for the quest one of its egg moves, tutor style.  There could be a limit of one egg move per pokemon taught this way and a restriction that you couldn't teach egg moves to a pokemon that already know egg moves, so as not to create some movesets that wouldn't be legal if you were to try them in an actual game or in a simulator.

Pros:

1.  would cut the time spent grinding for egg moves, but would still require some grinding so as to procure a pokemon worthy enough of receiving an egg move in the first place as well as nurturing a familiarity with breeding.

2.  would encourage more diverse breeding as the NPCs wouldn't necessarily be looking for pokemon that were competitively viable.

Cons:

1.  would decrease rarity of some egg move pokemon (e.g. d dance t-tar)

I don't think Breeding is as much of a timesink as people say it is, and I'm sure I've put out more eggs than the majority of the playerbase. The real problem exists with the tedious hatching mechanics. They take away from the game without adding anything at all. They simply deter you from doing more productive things. It's very counter-intuitive with the 'direction' of the game once mentioned by Kyu when people asked about the Elite Four cooldown and he answered with "We want the community to do different things and not just farm the E4 all day." (Paraphrased) 

The hatching mechanics do not slow down breeding at all (because even the longest hatch will only net you three more eggs, giving you a 20 minute window before you'd need to hatch again.) They're not 'fun' in the least bit and they're insanely detrimental to gameplay and, much more importantly, the morale of the community. 

On topic: A lot of the egg moves already are Move Tutors and adding any non-canon Egg Moves seems like an 'easier' alternative to breeding, which is something the devs simply won't agree to do. Furthermore, it creates opportunities for certain fully evolved Pokemon to gain moves than their NFE forms can't learn via breeding.

• 1 month later...

I am just going to post what I did on my own thread which was shut down because of this one.  Be ready for a wall of text.

You need a sink for both ends of the market high and low.  There are people who disagree with me here but it is what keeps the rich from getting richer.  A common commodity only goes so far even in the real world.

Think about the billionaire and how much salt bought versus a regular person.  This is the same as the name rater and pokeballs.  Common commodities are cheap and their usefulness in vast amounts cap out at a point.

The hard thing to balance is whether or not a high end money sink would break the market for those with less money/wealth.  However it is necessary because otherwise the "rich" would keep accumulating vast amounts of wealth causing inflation for the lower tiers. An aesthetic item of some sort would be a nice choice but those usually come down to opinion if they are worth it.

If you give a rich player the ability to edit a pokemon, it gives a distinct advantage which is not a good thing to some degree.  Some games have +15 weapons and such which only the rich can buy.   The only money sink I can think of that would not break the economy is an egg move tutor.  It is something that people would pay a lot for,  but would only add a flat amount to the value of something. IE: the price paid.    It would deflate the value of egg moved shinies to a point where they are only X amount more than the non egg-moved counterparts.

People would pay for bounce on their shiny gyarados for instance. It is a common shiny that would have X value added to make it higher worth.  

This same X value added to something like a snorlax would not seem nearly as steep.  It could equalize the lower end and higher end markets as egg moves are the only thing,I can think of, people would pay for on both ends of the spectrum.

This would keep the comp market balanced by having the price set high enough to where it would be on par with/ more expensive than just breeding your own competitive or buying one off another player.

Example:

All below example prices are just random numbers. Do not use this as factual or bash it. Take it as an idea.

1 egg= 500k 

Move tutor price = 5 million

If X amount was added to shiny gyarados making it worth, for example, 10 eggs more than a normal, you have a 15 value shiny gyarados or properly converted 7.5 million pokeyen.

Start price: 2.5 million

After Tutor Price: 7.5 million

% of value increased: 200%

If X amount was added to a shiny snorlax for curse,  you would go from 90-100   to 100-110 for it.

Start price: 45-50 million pokeyen

After Tutor Price:  50- 55 million pokeyen.

% of value increased: 10%~ increase in value

However in the case of a competitive, if you invest 10 eggs to learn a single move, you will get diminished returns on your investment and in that case you would more than likely keep it for your own use.

Competitive pokemon

Start Price: 1 million/2 eggs

After tutor price: 6 million

% of value increased: 500%

In the case of the above the person would keep their competitive, thus not effecting the competitive market as it was a choice.  If they did sell, they would not get what they paid to get the egg move on it.

It would keep the comp market roughly the same,   upheave the common shiny market,  and  keep rare shinies close to their original value.

Of course this is all speculation, but I think a high priced egg move tutor would be something the majority would use and lessen the bargaining power of rare shinies beyond their spawn rates alone.

Additional things to consider:

Pure shiny only traders do not spend as much on pokeballs because they only catch shinies.

Competitive trainers use more of the commodities such as pokeballs within the game.

The shiny market is much more drastic but ironically effects the competitive market. The impact of the shiny market on the comp market needs to be lessened.

How can we bridge the gap between both markets,  tone down the influence of the shiny market, give the lower end of the value market more power,   all while keeping the rare stuff from spiking along with the rest?

Leave constructive criticism below. I know people are going to come in here assuming I am trying to push an agenda since I am a shiny trader, but that does NOT discredit the numbers behind it.  Everyone has something they wish to see.   If there are legitimate objections as to why this would break a market or cause instability then I gladly will retract my stance on why this is good.

The one thing I'm probably not getting here is how shinies affect the comp market. Maybe it's due to ignorance,but unless people are trying to roll out common shinies as comps, there really should be no relationship between let's say a shiny aron and a salamence with 25+ ivs across the board.

A lot of people wonder the same thing,  so I guess I should address that.

In a market system,  everything's proper price is the median of the price something higher or lower than it as well as its placement in a market system.

You would have to view the market on the macro.  An example of this would be an increase in the demand for some cheaper food items during a recession  while inversely the amount of ferraris sold decrease.

The pokemmo market is a much smaller scale, so the relationships are a lot easier to track.  Not everything is valued the same IV wise as when you reach godly ivs it becomes comparable to other godly IV'd pokemon.

i will break down the pokemmo market into a basic flow chart. There are exceptions to the flow chart.

high desire  and high rarity shiny A  >  high desire but not AS high rarity shiny B > *continues with other shinies* >  mid tier shinies/ godly 25+ everything 31 speed iv with proper nature/ability>  common shinies/comps  >   not as good comps > tms 

Take it as an example.

That being said something in the first section, is considered higher than the second.  Continue down the line and you can compare the shiny aron to the godly salamence u mentioned.

Ultimately it can result from opinion,  but the common opinion held by most of the community holds certain shinies more than others as well as some shinies more than some comps.  That being said if you had to linearly label the prices of something for each person,  you would have a general average for each.

That average price is where the opinions meet for the most part.  If you can look big picture you compare things by going  X is worth  Y number of Z.    That gives most things its general value.

The problem with our economy is that our "high end" of this average scale is set too high. The value ranges are too drastic.  

Lets use the following numbers.   If a lucky egg is 500k,  and a shiny arceus (using a joke so no one flames me)  is 250 eggs,  that means a shiny arceus is 125 million pokeyen.

Now lets compare this to a TM that you can get from the game corner for (roughly) 25k in pokeyen.   I am not entirely sure how much pokeyen it costs to outright buy it at the moment but these are just example numbers anyway.

That means a shiny arceus is worth 5000, 4k coin TMs.  

Now let's take that a step further.   25k  and say you get 500 per payday.

That is 50 paydays for 1 TM.

50x 5k =  250,000  Paydays

Now let's take the time and say roughly 4 seconds for a payday.

1 million seconds for a shiny arceus from paydays.

That is 277.78  HOURS of doing nothing but payday. This does not take into account returning to the pokecenter to heal PP, breaks,  or sleep.

You can ultimately break anything down into lesser values. That is how a shiny aron can be compared to a competitive godly salamence.

What the egg move tutor would do, is lower the capped out limit a shiny can reach to it's base value within the game.  A bred only shiny should be just that, a bred only shiny.   Egg moves when already added to something exponentially more than the rest of the economy, breaks it even further.  Putting a direct value on an egg move can put a cap on something literally pricess.  Doing so would not ruin the value of the rares,  give value to some mid tiers that may need egg moves,  and overall limit the market's capacity for a price ceiling without limiting the players on the other end of the spectrum by making it not cost effective at that level.

That is how the money sink would be effective. We need multiple sinks. I find  this a viable one.

I figured I would address this since there are people who are pming me with a general concern.

"How does this not increase the value of shinies in the hands of the rich?"

It does, but only by the extra amount required to put into it.

Current system:

Shiny A with no egg moves.    200 eggs

Shiny A with egg moves.    300 eggs

New System:

Shiny A with no egg moves  200 eggs

Shiny A with egg moves  220+20 per additional egg move

This overall lowers the price of a rare shiny to its base value + a flat value per egg move. This reduces shiny prices from being so drastic at high levels, but maintains value similarly at moderate levels.

"Doesn't this screw over the competitive market?"

No one would spend 10x value of a comp to give it an egg move and if they did, it would not sell for that same price.

If someone wants to spend the equivalent of a shiny duskull on giving their salamence dragon dance....then by all means, but that does not effect the competitive market as a whole.  The difference is shiny values effect everything else in the server as addressed in my previous post.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post or pm me within game.  I have spoken to quite a few people who were against my idea, but they did not quite understand the effects of it across the market but after a talk they understood it.

TL;DR 

1.Does not effect comp market.

2. Lowers the price ceiling on shiny rares.

3.Acts as an effective money sink to help keep inflation in check by removing mass amounts at once.

• 8 months later...

I think pokemon that knew and egg move should be able to re-learn it.

I have a great jolteon with hidden power ice ,sub,baton pass and tbolt. When it was an eevee it knew faketears. Since bpass is now banned i feel its unfair that i cant change my moveset back to fake tears as I put many hours into the breeding of it.