Design Your Own Region [ April 18th-May 28th]

Just wondering, do we have to draw the region by hand, or can we make towns/routes and etc by using tiles.
Ex: Photoshoping a house and a map, then adding trees, Pokemon, Pokemon centers, etc.
I'm not a very good artist but I've always been good at creating Pokemon towns.

^

Also, can we mix tiles with our art?

I've already chosen my region name, my professor name, and all the Pokemon found in my region.
Im still curious about my question, and im also wondering if there is a max amount of Pokemon that can be found. My list is tipping over 270....

Edit: Removed a lot of Pokemon, added starters and legendaries and im at 173 Pokemon SWEEET

HOLY FUCK, this is one hell of an event, Mu. I am beyond excited for this! ;D 

Okay, a couple questions... I did read the OP but I am all excited etc (from the event and I have an exam later.. plus seeing my sweetie pie LOL) but umm..

No fakemons? 

Legendaries have to be previously occurring legendaries? 

Glad to hear! And yes, no fakemons will be allowed. Legendaries have to simply be existing legendaries, too. 

Just wondering, do we have to draw the region by hand, or can we make towns/routes and etc by using tiles.
Ex: Photoshoping a house and a map, then adding trees, Pokemon, Pokemon centers, etc.
I'm not a very good artist but I've always been good at creating Pokemon towns.

^

Also, can we mix tiles with our art?

You are more than welcome to use Photoshop, or any other art mediums, just so long as what you're making is easy enough for us to read, and the end result is original! However you cannot build on top of an already existing map, that is not of your own creation. Ex; Taking France and simply putting your routes and town locations on it. Hopefully this answers your question? When I hear the term "Photoshopping" I imagine the act of altering an already existing picture, which is not going to be allowed for the actual map submission. I'd like for that to be completely of your own devising. However, if you want to include such pictures for explanations of your towns/routes/ etc. to give us a sense and feel of what they're like, that will be just fine. Let me know if this doesn't fully answer your question!

I've already chosen my region name, my professor name, and all the Pokemon found in my region.
Im still curious about my question, and im also wondering if there is a max amount of Pokemon that can be found. My list is tipping over 270....

Edit: Removed a lot of Pokemon, added starters and legendaries and im at 173 Pokemon SWEEET

The only limit Pokemon wise is having the maximum of 8 legendaries. Other than that, you can have as many native Pokemon as you want in your region!

This sounds fun and the prize is dope. Gonna give it a shot!

This is a dumb question but to make sure but can you mix up the pokemon from different generations (1-6) for gym trainers, your rival, elite 4 etc etc ....?

you certainly may!

Glad to hear! And yes, no fakemons will be allowed. Legendaries have to simply be existing legendaries, too. 

You are more than welcome to use Photoshop, or any other art mediums, just so long as what you're making is easy enough for us to read, and the end result is original! However you cannot build on top of an already existing map, that is not of your own creation. Ex; Taking France and simply putting your routes and town locations on it. Hopefully this answers your question? When I hear the term "Photoshopping" I imagine the act of altering an already existing picture, which is not going to be allowed for the actual map submission. I'd like for that to be completely of your own devising. However, if you want to include such pictures for explanations of your towns/routes/ etc. to give us a sense and feel of what they're like, that will be just fine. Let me know if this doesn't fully answer your question!

The only limit Pokemon wise is having the maximum of 8 legendaries. Other than that, you can have as many native Pokemon as you want in your region!

Ok Thanks. I didnt mean photoshopping like that :/
I meant like, Id find Pokemon sprites (buildings and etc) and Id add them to a colored background.

So, hypothetical. Lets say I win 1st place, but want the 2nd place prize, can I switch

Once I gather more information I'll get back to you on this one. 

Question:

I'm a really bad artist, will that count against me as long as you can read/get the jist of my point?

I like writing but art and me just mix :/

There's only one section of the contest that requires art, which is the map of the region. So long as it's legible, it's good to go! If you'd prefer not to incorporate other pieces of art, that's absolutely fine. However if you do include other pieces they do have to be identifiable.  

erm im just wondering, do i need to make a pic of all the gym leaders and make the map of each town? :L 

The only portion of the contest that requires any sort of artwork is the actual region map. So while you do have to provide a description for each town, and all gym leaders you are not required to make a mini map, so to speak, of each town or a drawn picture of each leader. 

I know you can't build on an already existing map, but can you use the town/route indicators from other maps?

Yes that's perfectly fine!

Already have half the map done. Getting those gains

I got my villain team.

Brace yourselves.

Yo'ure gonna need quality work to beat this.

Lawl. I've finished my Professor Explanation/Description, Pokemon and Locations, Pokedex Description, Explanation of Region Name, and half my Region Map :P

I'm still thinking about my team. It has to fit in perfectly with my Region and legendaries found in it. 

EDIT: Also, it surprises me that People are already thinking they'll win. Only one part of this contest requires art. The other 95% requires something rarely found on this forums called Creativity.