EV Inheritance

Robofiend

Question

Here's an idea:

When players breed comps, they lose hours of hard work that they spent training the pokemon. Say, for instance, I have a 25/25/23/8/27/22 Adamant Snorlax that I want to improve, but lack the breeders to make it better. So I go on my way, with no better option and train it up to lvl 50 and give it an ev spread of 52/200/52/200 : hp/atk/def/spdef. But then I randomly catch a really nice Treecko with Pursuit and it has IVs that look like 29/29/31/15/25/31 and I'm like "HOLY SHIT I COULD BREED THAT FOR PURSUIT LAX!!!" The problem is, I'd lose all my work EV-ing and training my pokemon, so i'd have to start over from the beginning and spend another 5 hours getting it back to where it was. In a fast-paced, active competitive community like PokeMMO (lel) taking that time to refactor my Snorlax means I'm going to be missing important battles and tournaments!

What if, instead, you could opt to just pass down EV's from parents? This could work in a couple of ways:

1. All evs are transferred, mother gets priority (so if both parents are fully Ev'd then the baby gets the mother's EV spread). If parents have garbage ivs (random leveling ivs) those are passed down as well, making players spend money on EV berries.

2. Players can choose to redistribute EVs as they please. Maybe the ev spread you did last time was a little bit wrong, or now you want to build a more specially-based Modest Snorlax (everyone knows Psychic/Tbolt OP) with Special Attack investment instead of a traditional physical Snorlax. This lets players easily improve upon past mistakes or try out new builds without breaking their backs training and wiping EVs multiple times. 

I don't see a lof of problems with this, it still requires players to EV train pokemon, but makes improving them less painful. It also solves the lasting problem of how PokeMMO could facilitate a Little Cup meta - just breed babies and pass down the EV's from parents! It also cuts out the time sink that is EV training, and might make Vitamins more attractive in the long run, turning them into a reasonable money sink.

Thoughts? Lets make it happen.

Edited by Robofiend

19 answers to this question

I dislike this suggestion because of it will cost a lot of money to reduce evs then we not sack comps for breeding

This. Maybe after exact IVs are implemented, this could be a thing. However, as of now you have to narrow the IVs of the initial pokemon you catch, and in some cases you will also want to narrow the IVs of your offspring (especially if you are breeding for hidden power). This accumulates a lot of EVs you have to get rid of. If you happen to have a bunch of EV'd comps lying around that you want to rebreed, you are already in a better position that those who have to breed from scratch, so you should be happy that there are somebody who is worse off than you.

Edit: Didn't read the second point on the list of the OP. This would make things really easy, since hp EV'ing is now a breeze. I have nothing against easy, but there might be a smoother solution to this.

Edited by PandaJJ

but hitting low level pokes for ev training is so cool /sarcasm

I don't see any problem with this, but i would rather see a new ev train system instead of another workaround to avoid boredom/waste of time

While I like your suggestion for the very fact that I myself have not used certain comps to breed simply because of the effort it took to train it,in the same breath i must agree with felix on this,instead of eving being the mind numbing grind it is(seriously,its crazy how much I've actually come to hate it now)they could work on making it a fun and rewarding experience as it should be.

While I like your suggestion for the very fact that I myself have not used certain comps to breed simply because of the effort it took to train it,in the same breath i must agree with felix on this,instead of eving being the mind numbing grind it is(seriously,its crazy how much I've actually come to hate it now)they could work on making it a fun and rewarding experience as it should be.

This is definitely the better of the two options, but I personally wouldn't object to this shortcut. It frees up developers' time to work on other things (legendaries, crafting, etc.) while still providing a way for players to cut out some of the downsides of rebreeding comps and doing lots of extra EV work.

Thats arguable idea coz EV training would go upside down, people would grind poke ev mothers to sell ev, before breeding 3x31 perf nature u add this EV breeder making the proces longer, and nobody would by vitamins -> cost of vitamins goes down -> no point of ev trading -> WTH is happening with this.

• U can redistribure ev points any time just buy ev berries/vitamins or ev berries/amnesia brace
  • Ev training is not hard and time consuming as it was pre hoenn, now u got many u better training places, like 20-30min to max 252 ev
  • Ev training is part of pokemon, like catching, breeding, dueling, trading, item hunt, shiny hunt

dude what are you even talking about

First, this doesn't make any process longer. Second, it has nothing to do with whether people would buy vitamins (also, lol the cost of vitamins isn't going to go down because of supply/demand, it's hard-coded into the game). 

Stop justifying the game's shortcomings as "a part of the game", the whole point of the Suggestion Box is to suggest features that can make for better gameplay.

First, this doesn't make any process longer. Second, it has nothing to do with whether people would buy vitamins (also, lol the cost of vitamins isn't going to go down because of supply/demand, it's hard-coded into the game). 

Stop justifying the game's shortcomings as "a part of the game", the whole point of the Suggestion Box is to suggest features that can make for better gameplay.

The road of breeeding with "ev breeder", u can start it at any stage

Ev breeder with nature(to make this not that long)r+1x31->1x31 Nature Ev +2x31-> 2x31 Nature etc.

Now how to use this: While u payday/ev train normaly u add to your party future ev breeders with exp shares. After "Ev farm" u can sell them for lower price than all vitamins needed like for 150k. At this (fictional moment) rate people rather buy finished ev than vitamins(or they do when they need to fix or something). 

The road of breeeding with "ev breeder", u can start it at any stage

Ev breeder with nature(to make this not that long)r+1x31->1x31 Nature Ev +2x31-> 2x31 Nature etc.

Now how to use this: While u payday/ev train normaly u add to your party future ev breeders with exp shares. After "Ev farm" u can sell them for lower price than all vitamins needed like for 150k. At this (fictional moment) rate people rather buy finished ev than vitamins(or they do when they need to fix or something). 

It's like… I get what your saying (kinda) but how does any of this pertain to my suggestion?

1. All evs are transferred, mother gets priority (so if both parents are fully Ev'd then the baby gets the mother's EV spread). If parents have garbage ivs (random leveling ivs) those are passed down as well, making players spend money on EV berries.

2. Players can choose to redistribute EVs as they please. Maybe the ev spread you did last time was a little bit wrong, or now you want to build a more specially-based Modest Snorlax (everyone knows Psychic/Tbolt OP) with Special Attack investment instead of a traditional physical Snorlax. This lets players easily improve upon past mistakes or try out new builds without breaking their backs training and wiping EVs multiple times. 

I don't see a lof of problems with this, it still requires players to EV train pokemon, but makes improving them less painful. It also solves the lasting problem of how PokeMMO could facilitate a Little Cup meta - just breed babies and pass down the EV's from parents! It also cuts out the time sink that is EV training, and might make Vitamins more attractive in the long run, turning them into a reasonable money sink.

Thoughts? Lets make it happen.

So you're saying that you don't like the "transfer all EV's" idea? I'm not really sure why you oppose that, the cost of nerfing unneeded EV's would be lower than the cost of Vitamins anyway.. Even so, if it's an optional feature players could choose to just have a blank EV pokemon pop out the other end and train it as they like.

I still think that being able to redistribute existing IVs would be a cool added funtion anyway

Thoughts? 

i think the problem is a endless meaningless grind that is only there because "lel canon", except that we are no longer a pure gen 3 game and after gen 3 pokemon creators realized the potential for a competitive player base and seriously nerfed ev training. 

this is a band aid that does not solve the problem which is ev training itself in it's current form. it only alleviates the problem. 

i think the problem is a endless meaningless grind that is only there because "lel canon", except that we are no longer a pure gen 3 game and after gen 3 pokemon creators realized the potential for a competitive player base and seriously nerfed ev training. 

this is a band aid that does not solve the problem which is ev training itself in it's current form. it only alleviates the problem. 

Eh, but combined inheritance/redistribution does help with a portion of the pain of EV training/comps

Eh, but combined inheritance/redistribution does help with a portion of the pain of EV training/comps

true but this would only help people who breed their comps from old comps, not new players or returning players from long ago, or wild catches(iv increasing items pls).

we need a solution to the 3-5 hours of meaningless grinding per comp on top of everything else, not a bandaid that staff can hide behind and pretend there is not a problem.

true but this would only help people who breed their comps from old comps, not new players or returning players from long ago, or wild catches(iv increasing items pls).

we need a solution to the 3-5 hours of meaningless grinding per comp on top of everything else, not a bandaid that staff can hide behind and pretend there is not a problem.

I definitely agree but they've mostly dismissed possible solutions and shown a preference towards band-aids in the past

Also, casually accumulating and then redistributing EVs isn't so much grind, in fact, it'd give me a reason to actually use pokemon in trainer battles - something that no one ever does outside of EV training (sometimes).

I don't know if the devs realize that I (and probably a lot of other people) train a lot of my pokemon by payday spamming EVs and then VS. Seeker spamming the same trainers over and over until they are safe lvl to throw in the daycare to get them to lvl 50 without losing all their moves. I think it'd be much more "canon" to create a method that encourages me to actually use the pokemon I breed against NPCs rather than raise them almost entirely with exp. share.