[Implemented] Restructure EV training

Yes, yet another suggestion to remake EV training.

Let's ask ourselves this question: why is EV training a bad feature in this game? Because it takes ages, sometimes you having to sit through each of the 508 individual points.

Two steps can greatly improve the experience, making it highly rewarding:

1. Scrap EXP Share. Despite it being an actual canon item from gen 2 through 5, it simply fails at the one thing it is mainly used at (aside from leveling up): EVing

If the pokemon you train hold EXP Share, they will most of the time be limited to 1 EV per battle. Why would you need to try harder to EV if your pokemon cannot win wild battles?

Gen 6 has reintroduced the EXP All, a key item that shares the experience of the lead to the rest of the team. As this existed in both gen 1 and ORAS, I believe it will be appropriate to have it added here. This, way, the pokemon you EV will be free to hold Macho brace, while the lead can take advantage of its pickup ability. No switching, just kill and exp.

2. Introduce Swarms via sweet scent. This time you cannot lie. We know you can make swarms happen. Why not have swarms of pokemon everywhere? Following step 1, you will be able to gain 10 EVs guaranteed per battle (all hail EQ/RS Level 100 Phanpy).

This way, we can populate the wild with actually meaningful battles, giving players a multitude of swarms to choose from, with each specific area offering different potential Pickup Items. Despite this risking to become a benefit-for-player type of thread, I really see no downside in finishing my ev training within a bit over 50 battles. 510 battles are insane, and nobody benefits or explores areas that way.

Well i think its sort of interesting that exp shares have such a moderately high value (about 80k i think).  You get 2 over the course of the game so this leads players to want to buy up to 3 more so you can ev up to 6 pokemon at once. 

If you were to EV 6 pokemon at once and have your pokemon in the front of the party hold a macho brace then you would be gaining 7 EV stats per battle.  Thats just with 1 EV pokes and it could be much easier with pokes that produce more.  Out of all the grindiness I find EVing to be much less cumbersome then say, i dont know, farming silk scarfs. 

If we had easy ways to EV train then it wouldnt be as special.  We wouldnt have people alt running for exp shares and people having EV training services.  I understand with braces, pokerus, and hordes in gen 6 it makes eving like a 20 minute endeavor but this isnt gen 6.  It's grindmmo.  Lets keep it special and hardcore to breed similar to the olden times. :D

If you were to EV 6 pokemon at once and have your pokemon in the front of the party hold a macho brace then you would be gaining 7 EV stats per battle.  Thats just with 1 EV pokes and it could be much easier with pokes that produce more.  Out of all the grindiness I find EVing to be much less cumbersome then say, i dont know, farming silk scarfs. 

This requires you to EV 6 pokemon at once, which is a huge issue. If I come up with an idea for a pokemon, and then proceed to breed the pokemon, I now have to make 5 more pokemon to even start EV training? Those 5 pokemon of course need the exact same spread as the pokemon I came up with (which is not a vanilla 252/252 spread, in most cases.) The fact that you can EV train 6 pokemon at once can really only be taken advantage of by EV-training services, which are not reliable in terms of trust and speed.

If we had easy ways to EV train then it wouldnt be as special.  We wouldnt have people alt running for exp shares and people having EV training services.  I understand with braces, pokerus, and hordes in gen 6 it makes eving like a 20 minute endeavor but this isnt gen 6.  It's grindmmo.  Lets keep it special and hardcore to breed similar to the olden times. :D

First of all, alt running is terrible gameplay and the developers should do everything in their power to remove it. And guess what, they have already started - by adding renewable tms etc to the game. If you think EV training encourages alt running, it should by all means be changed. Also, while this is an MMO, that does not mean every little insignificant piece of action in this game has to be a grind. In fact, it just means they need to have enough content to keep players playing the game. And do you know what this game doesn't have? Multiplayer features. If they added more multiplayer features, we wouldn't need all this excessive amount of grinding for no benefit. EV training is in particular the most meaningless grind in this game, it needs to change.

Edited by PandaJJ

Apart from the small handful of people that enjoy EV training (y'all are weird >.>), I don't think anyone has any reason to be against this. While the Exp. All is useful in some situations, I don't think it should replace the Exp. Share. Some people actually do use it just for leveling one or two Pokemon. Also... 

EV'ing is special in the same way 30 years of slavery in a fiery pit is special. Breeding has been changed (I think this system is more fitting for an MMO game.), grinding money has been changed (not by much, but the system seems reasonable), and I see no reason to keep EV'ing the same. It's an absolute time sink. I don't think anyone at all has ever actively paid attention to the EV'ing session the whole time they were doing it. We all dread the feeling of accidentally killing a shiny Tangela, Paras, or Azumarill (Golbat can eff off). The only possible con I can see to removing some of the grind from EV'ing is that fewer shinies will be found. Of course, that could also be a good thing, depending on your point of view.

Something would change about amnesia brace too. I bought one recently and it would be nice if it works like the macho brace and double the evs point. Train a pokemon at level 5 is already kinda difficult and pay an item with 1000 rp deserve more help and advantages than only a simple ev training without experience. 

Something would change about amnesia brace too. I bought one recently and it would be nice if it works like the macho brace and double the evs point. Train a pokemon at level 5 is already kinda difficult and pay an item with 1000 rp deserve more help and advantages than only a simple ev training without experience. 

I agree. The amnesia brace was born out of necessity to train a Pokemon without going over level 50. That entire idea went out the window when Tournament Mode was introduced. The amnesia brace hasn't changed at all, despite being close to useless. Even the price is the same. If you lowered the price, people would probably complain about paying for it before the price was lowered and it would still just as useless. I think it needs more perks to even be worth it's own existence.

This... so much this. Its really hard staying engaged with the game when you breed a few comps and have to spend hours eving them. I understand and completely accept that an mmo should have some grind but the way eving is atm is just bad. This idea reduces the grind while not getting rid of it. +1 homie.

• 1 month later...