Enable the Trick House (with some prize modifications)

Bestfriends

Question

Trick House + Prize Modifications = A "Tricky" Experience!

65f211314a600562ff92afc46a932deb.png

This NPC in the trick room is kind of like @Zehkar and that is why I want him to be implemented. He would love to make these interesting riddles and puzzles and give prizes to people who figure his puzzle out.

Here is the Prize List:

63cd47883033040b0513f4a8167ab12f.png

Lets modify the prizes a little..... (Prizes 5 and 8 are the only prizes that do not need modification)

Puzzle 1's Reward: Full Restore

Puzzle 2's Reward: Max Revive

Puzzle 3's Reward: Timer Ball

Puzzle 4's RewardLuxury Ball

Puzzle 5's Reward: TM 12 (Taunt)

Puzzle 6's Reward: TM 36 (Sludge Bomb)

Puzzle 7's Reward: PP Up

Puzzle 8's Reward: Either the Red or Blue Tent

I hope that this suggestion does not break the economy and I modified the prizes to make sure that it would be difficult to break the economy. Tell me what you think about this suggestion. Credit goes to Bulbapedia for the prize table.

Edited by Bestfriends
Cleared up some thoughts

15 answers to this question

And what repeating this? If it were a simple thing to implement, it would have been done by now. Assuming it's more complicated than most other features in Hoenn, it would not be worth the work if a person could only do it once. How would it work to be both balanced and repeatable?

9 hours ago, Lunos said:

I can't see a single reason as to why the prizes would need to be changed.

The Sludge Bomb TM sounds fine, but replacing a Magnet which you can't get In-Game in any other way than buying from someone else or stealing doesn't sounds worth it.

You can get a magnet via Pickup Ability

6 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

And what repeating this? If it were a simple thing to implement, it would have been done by now. Assuming it's more complicated than most other features in Hoenn, it would not be worth the work if a person could only do it once. How would it work to be both balanced and repeatable?

I listed items that would not hurt the economy, but I don't want this feature to be repeatable.

2 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

Then it's simply not worth the time and effort right now.

I guess your looking at this from a different lens. The Trick Room is a one time event, but your concern is alt runs in Hoenn. People who do these alt runs that I consult with often, absolutely dislike Hoenn and some of them even avoid Hoenn all together. In my prize selection, I made my prizes a little top heavy on purpose because people who do alt runs just for the Trick House will get low valued items at first and then if they are extremely dedicated, they'll receive TMs and a PP Up.

Edited by Bestfriends
1 hour ago, Bestfriends said:

I guess your looking at this from a different lens. The Trick Room is a one time event, but your concern is alt runs in Hoenn. People who do these alt runs that I consult with often, absolutely dislike Hoenn and some of them even avoid Hoenn all together. In my prize selection, I made my prizes a little top heavy on purpose because people who do alt runs just for the Trick House will get low valued items at first and then if they are extremely dedicated, they'll receive TMs and a PP Up.

I considered that, but neglected to mention it because any suggestion that encourages alts is very likely going to be ignored. If you hadn't noticed already, the game has been steered towards allowing nearly everything to be repeated for greater rewards and letting us purchase or otherwise obtain items and Pokemon that were once limited to one per character. The devs don't want alts. Why would they put work into a feature that encourages them?

12 hours ago, BigShotJoe said:

I considered that, but neglected to mention it because any suggestion that encourages alts is very likely going to be ignored. If you hadn't noticed already, the game has been steered towards allowing nearly everything to be repeated for greater rewards and letting us purchase or otherwise obtain items and Pokemon that were once limited to one per character. The devs don't want alts. Why would they put work into a feature that encourages them?

Most people dislike Hoenn and even ignored Hoenn in their alt runs. There is a reason why the rewards are top heavy and that is due to the fact of alts. Most people avoid Hoenn at all costs and we can take advantage of people not wanting to do Hoenn by putting somewhat valuable prizes near the end of the Trick Room experience (meaning, you will need at least 5 to 6 badges to get something valuable). Why break your back just to save a little yen for TMs. PP Ups are worth approx 15k in GTL anyways (or that's how much I sell them for).

7 hours ago, Bestfriends said:

Most people dislike Hoenn and even ignored Hoenn in their alt runs. There is a reason why the rewards are top heavy and that is due to the fact of alts. Most people avoid Hoenn at all costs and we can take advantage of people not wanting to do Hoenn by putting somewhat valuable prizes near the end of the Trick Room experience (meaning, you will need at least 5 to 6 badges to get something valuable). Why break your back just to save a little yen for TMs. PP Ups are worth approx 15k in GTL anyways (or that's how much I sell them for).

People avoid Hoenn in alt runs because it's a lot of work for little reward. This means each alt is worth less profit than if they did both regions. Now, by giving people a reason to go to Hoenn, you are making alts more profitable and therefore encouraging them. Also, if PP Ups become more common, they will obviously be worth less, so that point is null.
Requiring badges to earn better prizes isn't going to discourage people from making new characters that they only play a few times. For some, it will encourage them to play through to the end of both regions before leaving the character to rot. It would discourage others from making it all the way through and they are more likely to create yet another character to earn the same amount of money as someone who ran through both regions. It does not matter how far a person makes it through the game. The problem is that so many alt characters even exist. From the very moment you save your character in the initial creation screen to the day the staff delete it for inactivity (which I believe has only ever happened once), that character is then saved to the PokeMMO server (or wherever characters are saved) and takes up space. More importantly for players, it takes up a name that someone may or may not have wanted to use on a character they actually planned on playing for an extended period of time. The only way to discourage players from creating alt characters is by either punishing them for doing so (which is unlikely, as it would be unreliable and cause many arguments) or removing any reason a player might need to create another character. This means doing things like allowing us to purchase TM's in a mart, not allowing us to breed or trade gift Pokemon so they cannot be exploited with alts, removing from the overworld items like nuggets which were relatively plentiful and whose only purpose was for selling, implementing a shared storage between characters on a single account (please, Desu? ;-;), or letting players repeat events such as the Trick House. This suggestion would only encourage alt characters and there are too many features that have been changed to discourage them. 

Tl;dr 
This is a bad idea because just fucking read it.

upping the difficulity of the people inside and maybe making puzzles would also make you available to up the prizes. getting those 8 prizes repeatetly would get boring and prices would drop. maybe adding a random chance to get any item out of a selection or have the list go on so much that we can avoid getting the same items over and over again and the prices dropping

50 minutes ago, GeneralVenican said:

upping the difficulity of the people inside and maybe making puzzles would also make you available to up the prizes. getting those 8 prizes repeatetly would get boring and prices would drop. maybe adding a random chance to get any item out of a selection or have the list go on so much that we can avoid getting the same items over and over again and the prices dropping

The problem with creating more difficulty through puzzles is that each puzzle must be created manually. On top of that, it only takes one person to find the solution and spread the word about how to complete each puzzle. As much as I hate the idea of a lottery system for the rewards, it's the best I have heard or can come up with myself.

2 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

it only takes one person to find the solution and spread the word about how to complete each puzzle

This is with every game, there will be guides etc etc, but so what? just dont read them

he problem with creating more difficulty through puzzles is that each puzzle must be created manually.

this would make it unique, special and hopefully harder then if u use the regular ones

23 hours ago, GeneralVenican said:

This is with every game, there will be guides etc etc, but so what? just dont read them

If you put dozens or possibly hundreds of hours of work into creating something meant to challenge people (such as a puzzle, game, or riddle) and then the solution ended up on Google for everyone in the world to read a few days later, would you want to put forth the effort to make more challenges?
Nobody wants to put hours and hours of work into a project and have said project go unappreciated or ignored. That's exactly what would happen if the puzzles took no more effort than Googling the solution and following a guide.

this would make it unique, special and hopefully harder then if u use the regular ones

This can be related to my above point. While a bunch of tough, clever puzzles to work your brain would be interesting, it's simply not worth the effort because the solutions would be known by everyone within a few days and you would have to continuously think of, design, and program new puzzles just to keep the Trick House relevant. Far more work than it's worth, to be honest.

1 minute ago, BigShotJoe said:

If you put dozens or possibly hundreds of hours of work into creating something meant to challenge people (such as a puzzle, game, or riddle) and then the solution ended up on Google for everyone in the world to read a few days later, would you want to put forth the effort to make more challenges?
Nobody wants to put hours and hours of work into a project and have said project go unappreciated or ignored. That's exactly what would happen if the puzzles took no more effort than Googling the solution and following a guide.

thats the life if being a game developer, you pretty much need to man up and deal with that

This can be related to my above point. While a bunch of tough, clever puzzles to work your brain would be interesting, it's simply not worth the effort because the solutions would be known by everyone within a few days and you would have to continuously think of, design, and program new puzzles just to keep the Trick House relevant. Far more work than it's worth, to be honest

people are saying we need more end game content. this could me a step towards this. there is absolutly nothing negative about this and im 100% sure its gonna get a warm welcome if implemented

5 minutes ago, GeneralVenican said:

thats the life if being a game developer, you pretty much need to man up and deal with that

You have to remember that the developers don't do this as their everyday job. If they don't feel like working on the game, they don't have to. Have a little appreciation for the people that provide you with a quality, FREE game to play. They aren't making much, if any, money off this. 

people are saying we need more end game content. this could me a step towards this. there is absolutly nothing negative about this and im 100% sure its gonna get a warm welcome if implemented

End game content, yes. However, the Trick House is not meant for end game. If you have ever played the original Gen 3 games, you would know that the Trick House puzzles are unlocked as you progress through the game with the last being available after beating the E4. This does not actually add ANYTHING to the end of the game. If you want to see something negative about it, look at my previous comments and actually read them this time. If that's not enough for you, I'm sure someone spewed something about the economy again. 
Warm welcomes are a given. Almost all new features are received well. That's not what matters. It's how they hold up and are seen in the long run. I don't know if you were around when our current breeding system was first implemented, but nearly everyone hated it, myself included. However, if you asked anyone, new or old player, most would say they like the current system and think it's better for the game than clone breeding. The same could be said for berry farming (though I still hate that one). The Trick House, if implemented like the OP suggests, would likely be a small craze for a short time and then be forgotten except once per playthrough. The only good system is one that can support itself.

Its kind of crazy that I am going to actually argue against my suggestion, but that is what I am about to do. The Trick House could encourage more alts and the developers of PokeMMO do not like the thought of alts. Due to alts being a strong possibility which Joe has alluded to, I think we can safely say that this suggestion is going to be locked and denied. Meanwhile, I am going to think of an alternative function for the Trick House NPC.

Here is my alternative: 

Edited by Bestfriends
I figured that ultra ball distribution isn't as deadly to the economy