Please hold multiple tournaments at the same time or make tournament participation random

BuurmanJuan

Question

I literally set an alarm, hovered my cursor over the signup button and signed up under 5 seconds after signup opened. I was still too late. 

There's just too many players that want to join the tournaments and not enough seats. Please host 2 or 3 tournaments with the same setup at the same times, so more people can have a chance to participate. 

Another idea could be to randomly draw participants from the signup pool instead of entering whoever signed up quickest.  

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, BuurmanJuan said:

I literally set an alarm, hovered my cursor over the signup button and signed up under 5 seconds after signup opened. I was still too late. 

There's just too many players that want to join the tournaments and not enough seats. Please host 2 or 3 tournaments with the same setup at the same times, so more people can have a chance to participate. 

There's no need for this - OU is the most popular compared to the other tiers. I recommend having your teambuild ready 10-15 minutes before the sign ups start and then you'll pretty much be in the queue as you have the time to join.

Also if you were to have 2-3 tournaments at the same time (presumably all OU) then the seats in the other tournaments wouldn't fill, and that wouldn't be fair on the players who signed up to the tournament with a full bracket.

1 hour ago, BuurmanJuan said:

Another idea could be to randomly draw participants from the signup pool instead of entering whoever signed up quickest.  

There's already a priority queue based on the highest ELO in certain tournaments.

I don't see an issue with the system regarding this, next time just be a bit faster.

40 minutes ago, Imperial said:

Also if you were to have 2-3 tournaments at the same time (presumably all OU) then the seats in the other tournaments wouldn't fill, and that wouldn't be fair on the players who signed up to the tournament with a full bracket.

I'm pretty sure 2 OU tournaments with 64 players at the same time would fill up easily. And what's the point of having 15 minutes signup time if you can only really sign up in the first 10 seconds?

29 minutes ago, BuurmanJuan said:

I'm pretty sure 2 OU tournaments with 64 players at the same time would fill up easily. And what's the point of having 15 minutes signup time if you can only really sign up in the first 10 seconds?

If it was for a shiny prize, yes, but is there really point in doing that? The admins would never allow 2 shiny Pokemon to be given out like that.

Regarding your second point, the signup is supposed to enable as many players to sign up, you mainly have to be quick if you have low ELO (official tournaments) otherwise for Community Combats as long as you join within the first 30 seconds you're fine (as these are deemed as less important to many competitive players).

At the end of the day it's the players who are most prepared / highest ranked which should be given priority.

1 hour ago, Imperial said:

If it was for a shiny prize, yes, but is there really point in doing that? The admins would never allow 2 shiny Pokemon to be given out like that.

Regarding your second point, the signup is supposed to enable as many players to sign up, you mainly have to be quick if you have low ELO (official tournaments) otherwise for Community Combats as long as you join within the first 30 seconds you're fine (as these are deemed as less important to many competitive players).

At the end of the day it's the players who are most prepared / highest ranked which should be given priority.

Winners of both tournaments battle for the shiny in case of 2 tournaments. 2nd place gets a 6x31 IV. 

I wrote this post after I got rejected for a community combat tournament after 10 seconds, so idk about that. 

Sure, some spots should be reserved for high ranked players, but why does it have to be time-based for everyone else? I think it would be more fair if it wasn't a contest of whoever can click the fastest (for those with low ELO aka me). 

Edited by BuurmanJuan
6 minutes ago, BuurmanJuan said:

Winners of both tournaments battle for the shiny in case of 2 tournaments. 2nd place gets a 2x31 IV. 

As much as this is a nice idea, this unfortunately wouldn't work especially as the tournaments are automated and created days / weeks in advance - as much as the system itself has faults, the sign ups are fine as they are.

6 minutes ago, BuurmanJuan said:

I wrote this post after I got rejected for a community combat tournament after 10 seconds, so idk about that. 

Sure, some spots should be reserved for high ranked players, but why does it have to be time-based for everyone else? I think it would be more fair if it wasn't a contest of whoever can click the fastest (for those with low ELO aka me). 

For an OU Community Combat that is definitely very fast, so I'm pretty confident it probably took you a little longer than 10 seconds - either way I'm sorry you couldn't get in tonight.

Randomly drawn participants wouldn't be a good idea as it can risk many high quality players missing out in the tournament and replacing them with those who will realistically often lose in round 1 - as annoying as it is the current process is probably the fairest way to do it, and I don't think they should increase the playerbase to 128 for a Community Combat.

Timezones and prizes are usually the factors to how popular a tournament is - I can guarantee that you wouldn't have this much of an issue with the other tiers/formats (UU, NU, Doubles).

31 minutes ago, Imperial said:

Randomly drawn participants wouldn't be a good idea as it can risk many high quality players missing out in the tournament and replacing them with those who will realistically often lose in round 1 - as annoying as it is the current process is probably the fairest way to do it, and I don't think they should increase the playerbase to 128 for a Community Combat.

I don't see what being a high quality player has to do with signing up fast. Maybe just create a minimum treshold to sign up and pick random participants from those. That way you filter out the worst players while still giving everyone who didn't sign up within 10 seconds a chance. 

if 64 players really fill up in less than five seconds, it stands to reason that 128 would very easily fill up as well, especially over fifteen minutes.

if you dont want to make 128 or 256 the new standard for tournament participants due to, well, the long commitment of having to sit around for 8 rounds and stuff with massively buffed prizes.

then yeah. you could just make several 64-man tourneys at the same time, with several 1st-place winners with the standard 1st place prize.

Well, wouldn't it be better to suggest that they change the number of seats available per tournament?

I would suggest that they add a tracking system that assesses how tiers are doing in terms of Popularity. And based on that, determine how many seats you will have in the tier tournaments.
Example:
The OU tier is very popular, so your seats should be increased to 96(With the 32 that came from the priority queue, getting a bye for the next stage of the tournament) or 128 seats.
However, UU, NU and Doubles have more seats than they should, as they are not being filled 100% of them in tournaments (I can confirm, there are people going through W/O (Without Opponent)to next stage of tournament ,and with randoms, it only worsened the situation), and because this, the more correct to do, is reduce the avaliable seats to 48(With the 16 that came from the priority queue, receiving a bye for the next stage of the tournament) or 32. 
What does that mean? The more the tiers become popular, the more places available in Community Combat they would have. Likewise, the less popular the tiers become, the smaller the vacancies in Community Combat. 
This system could even be used by the staff to see how the tiers are in terms of popularity, and if they see that a tier is not being played, implement something in it to encourage people to play it.

Edited by caioxlive13