PokeMMO on SteamOS / Steam Deck

On 8/7/2023 at 1:38 PM, FalloffCliff said:

If you’re still out there please update this! This method no longer works and I would love to play on my steamdeck!

On 8/16/2023 at 4:17 PM, DarknessEagleX said:

im trying to get this to work again aswell but it wont launch. i noticed that there is more code in the pokemmo.sh file about os flags. i tried removing that but it still wont launch at all. it was working a few weeks ago

On 10/17/2023 at 5:50 PM, spectral said:

This did not work for me I can't get this game to run no other guides work and there's only one video online and that doesn't work either

Okey so I just noticed in my post I had written

export JAVA_HOME=/.java

This is WRONG!

The correct path should be

export JAVA_HOME=./java

I'm sorry for the confusion this has caused!

Edited by MajoraAKC
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear players, first of all thanks for this guide.

I've a starnge behaviour with my deck.

In desktop mode, I can load roms normally and the game runs as expected, but in gaming mode the optional roms I use are not being loaded correctly, and i cannot selected them, it simply sais: the Rom is not loaded.

I don't know if someone can help me with this issue.

Thanks to all

On Step 2 it says you need to download JDK 17 64 bit for Linux, you can download it here, but there is no link to the download. I tried looking it up but I couldn't figure out the right thing to download. Anyone able to post a link to the Java I'm supposed to download in Step 2?

On 11/11/2023 at 8:01 PM, Tomikato said:

On Step 2 it says you need to download JDK 17 64 bit for Linux, you can download it here, but there is no link to the download. I tried looking it up but I couldn't figure out the right thing to download. Anyone able to post a link to the Java I'm supposed to download in Step 2?

try this: https://download.oracle.com/java/17/archive/jdk-17.0.9_linux-x64_bin.tar.gz

On 11/11/2023 at 8:01 PM, Tomikato said:

For some reason I can not make that text clickable. The URL tag simply doesn't work there. I have added the full URL to the main post instead. Thanks for notifying me and thanks to GT264 for the link!

• 1 month later...

Hello ,

i am trying to replicate the steps but when launching the ssh I have the following message 

error : could not find or load main class com.pokemmu.client.Client caused by Java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.pokeemu.client.Client

does anyone ran into the same problem, can you please help me fix it .

Thanks a lot 

Edited by zephyros1611
21 hours ago, zephyros1611 said:

Hello ,

i am trying to replicate the steps but when launching the ssh I have the following message 

error : could not find or load main class com.pokemmu.client.Client caused by Java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.pokeemu.client.Client

does anyone ran into the same problem, can you please help me fix it .

Thanks a lot 

Hey there!

It sounds like something is written incorrectly. Please make sure everything is written correctly, the folder name is case sensitive. Here is an example of my file https://pastebin.com/NnTUbxWq

If it still won't work then please upload your PokeMMO.sh file to pastebin or post it here

17 hours ago, MajoraAKC said:

Hey there!

It sounds like something is written incorrectly. Please make sure everything is written correctly, the folder name is case sensitive. Here is an example of my file https://pastebin.com/NnTUbxWq

If it still won't work then please upload your PokeMMO.sh file to pastebin or post it here

Thanks but the file is exactly the same, i copied and pasted the two line directly to avoid any error.

what I did is :
1-Extract the Java tar file in the PokeMMO folder in the desktop mode

2-Renamed it to java (so now i have the java folder next to my roms folder , and other PokeMMO folders)

edited the sh file as mentioned

3-double clicking on the sh file and execute ... nothing happen

4-I tried to open the sh file in terminal and i have the message "error : could not find or load main class com.pokemmu.client.Client caused by Java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.pokeemu.client.Client "

Sorry I could not copy the file from my steamdeck to share it  as i did not have any usb drive near me yesteday.

8 hours ago, zephyros1611 said:

Thanks but the file is exactly the same, i copied and pasted the two line directly to avoid any error.

what I did is :
1-Extract the Java tar file in the PokeMMO folder in the desktop mode

2-Renamed it to java (so now i have the java folder next to my roms folder , and other PokeMMO folders)

edited the sh file as mentioned

3-double clicking on the sh file and execute ... nothing happen

4-I tried to open the sh file in terminal and i have the message "error : could not find or load main class com.pokemmu.client.Client caused by Java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.pokeemu.client.Client "

Sorry I could not copy the file from my steamdeck to share it  as i did not have any usb drive near me yesteday.

Right click the file, then Properties option, then Permissions tab and make sure that Is executable is checked as well

Edit:

I just noticed that there is now a PokeMMO flatpak available! https://flathub.org/apps/com.pokemmo.PokeMMO

It's probably better to run that version instead. Do note however that it is not made by the official PokeMMO developers. It's made by community members

Edited by MajoraAKC

If anyone else is having trouble like I was, the guide makes it sound like you make a PokeMMO folder then extract a Java folder and the PokeMMO folder into that folder (so it appears like PokeMMO > Java and PokeMMO>PokeMMO.

The zip has the pokemmo folder already in it, so you don't need to make a folder. The Java folder also needs to be next to the rom folder so INSIDE the PokeMMO folder you extract, or the path will not work that you set up with the script in the .sh file.

So to recap:

1. Extract the PokeMMO zip.
  2. Extract the Java file INTO that folder you just extracted.
  3. Right click (L2) on the .sh file and add the script in the first post
  4. Right click (L2) in the PokeMMO folder > Open Terminal Here
  5. Type the chmod script in the first post
  6. Add your moms to the rom file
  7. Run the .sh file select 'execute'

On 1/28/2024 at 12:20 AM, Swancin said:

If anyone else is having trouble like I was, the guide makes it sound like you make a PokeMMO folder then extract a Java folder and the PokeMMO folder into that folder (so it appears like PokeMMO > Java and PokeMMO>PokeMMO.

The zip has the pokemmo folder already in it, so you don't need to make a folder. The Java folder also needs to be next to the rom folder so INSIDE the PokeMMO folder you extract, or the path will not work that you set up with the script in the .sh file.

So to recap:

1. Extract the PokeMMO zip.
  2. Extract the Java file INTO that folder you just extracted.
  3. Right click (L2) on the .sh file and add the script in the first post
  4. Right click (L2) in the PokeMMO folder > Open Terminal Here
  5. Type the chmod script in the first post
  6. Add your moms to the rom file
  7. Run the .sh file select 'execute'

Thanks for pointing it out. I edited the main post to make it clearer

• 5 weeks later...

I followed this guide and everything works really well EXCEPT when trying to open the game as a non-steam game (to use later in Gaming mode). When I open PokeMMO.sh as a non-steam game, it's as if the game cannot find/load the roms even though they are in the roms folder. When trying to add the roms via the in-game client management, I get "File selection was cancelled." Has anyone found a solution to this?

image.png.b80a4f3cb3e3a2ab101ce367e96cf8b2.png

Here is the Steam shortcut in case you are wondering.

image.png.bc4abc93b5c375c060ea0a95684f8c16.png

image.png.20a3af255edc061cac966373b4fcd478.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So these directions worked great outside of one little wrinkle. I get zero audio from the game when launching in desktop or game mode 😧

Any ideas? I tried changing through the audio outputs in the ingame settings, as well as swapping to and from the Android theme. Also tested it with Fire Red and Black, and no difference between the two games.