[Strings] Faster Strings (Updated 10.11.2022)

Alright, so, Ig I am too stupid to understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm putting the .xml files into the /pokeMMO/data/strings but it doesn't seem to change anything. The way I'm testing to see if I changed anything is with Nuse Joy and I get the same text box every time no matter what. I know you said to "dump" them, I assumed that just meant copy/cut paste, the attached image is to show what I mean, sorry for misunderstanding. 

Screenshot 2022-10-27 042805.png

Edited by Cahriah

@ShaoYuWeiZZ

Hi, thanks for the mention.

Here is the aforementioned thread containing localization documentation: https://forums.pokemmo.com/index.php?/topic/150771-docs-localization-files-understanding-syntax-and-load-order/ for reference.

That being said- I have to mention a few important things.

The way your files are currently formatted they are:

• NOT GEC compatible; as per my post: custom language codes break it and the "is_primary=0" flag allows Gilan's Encounter Counter to function properly.
  • NOT Archetype Counter compatible; as the battle text is modified and replaced with a blank entry as well as the day-care man dialog.
  • NOT multi-language compatible, only works for whatever ROM the strings were formatted for (in this case English.) and some areas will also display string ids instead of the actual contents of the string.

I would highly recommend modifying your file header to match the ones I put in the examples, e.g., remove your custom language flag and name and match the one you natively play the game using. There is no reason to define a custom language, it only causes problems.

3 minutes ago, nurver9 said:

@ShaoYuWeiZZ

The way your files are currently formatted they are:

• NOT GEC compatible; as per my post: custom language codes break it and the "is_primary=0" flag allows Gilan's Encounter Counter to function properly.
  • NOT Archetype Counter compatible; as the battle text is modified and replaced with a blank entry as well as the day-care man dialog.
  • NOT multi-language compatible, only works for whatever ROM the strings were formatted for (in this case English.) and some areas will also display string ids instead of the actual contents of the string.

I would highly recommend modifying your file header to match the ones I put in the examples, e.g., remove your custom language flag and name and match the one you natively play the game using. There is no reason to define a custom language, it only causes problems.

Thanks for the information!

These strings actually haven't broken GEC as far as I can tell. Horde encounters and single encounters seem to work fine but I have not tested other types of encounters.

Which strings specifically are the Archetype encounter looking for?

1 hour ago, ShaoYuWeiZZ said:

These strings actually haven't broken GEC as far as I can tell.

They do, here is an example of how installing strings that contain custom language codes breaks GEC:

(tell tale sign is sprites disappearing from GEC.)

RIzXwqH.gif

Here I am testing encounters with the custom language file selected and after restarting the client:

bymwyt-W-Imgur-1.gif

unknown.png

1 hour ago, ShaoYuWeiZZ said:

Which strings specifically are the Archetype encounter looking for?

content that cannot be modified (or included with custom files.) in order to retain Archetype Counter functionality:

string block_id="0" entry_id="5" table_id="547"

string block_id="0" entry_id="7" table_id="426

string id="1832746"

string id="271131044"

Edited by nurver9
flipped region ids by mistake
43 minutes ago, nurver9 said:

region id 2 string block_id="0" entry_id="5" table_id="547"

region id 3 string block_id="0" entry_id="7" table_id="426

string id="1832746"

string id="271131044"

I believe you got region id 2 and 3 reversed there for those particular strings.

I have done as suggested and not edited the received an egg string in each region.

<string id="271131044">{01} received the EGG from\nthe DAY-CARE MAN.</string>

However it still doesn't seem to be tracking eggs whatsoever?

Testing horde's at Rapidash on Rt12 counted 4 per horde.

Edit: Also tracking hoppip swarms as 1x Golbat, 1x bulbasaur, 2x bulbasaur.

This just seems to be a bug in the counter. Probably more suited to your own thread.

Edited by ShaoYuWeiZZ
15 hours ago, ShaoYuWeiZZ said:

as long as you're on Engilsh it should work fine.

Updated my documentation. Please revisit the Unova section.

Any custom Unova string is breaking the user's game.

It doesn't matter if you use the side-load method or use a custom language flag.

We found a workaround, but in the meantime I would highly recommend double checking modifications like this.

Everyone must continue to collaborate as a community.

Relevant section of my post:

Spoiler

Before continuing it is extremely important to understand that when you re-import Unova strings while using English or a custom client language, you will encounter an "issue" where the game will revert to using the internal dump version of files. That means if you have any string that edits region_id="2" on your system- all MMO specific dialog is not being displayed.

Correct dialog with "proper" string files:

unknown.png  unknown.png
Updated Smoke Ball description / breeding item text

Incorrect dialog from "bad" string files:

unknown.png  image.png.bd41998ba51b5d1c76b456f948e8ef33.png
Old Smoke Ball description / missing breeding item text

These are single examples of dialog displaying improperly / straight from the ROMs. There's approximately 48 thousand lines of dialog in the Unova region alone, that is essentially the entire game's worth of monster, item and ability descriptions, conversations etc- anything the developers made specifically for the MMO is not being displayed.

To circumvent this, use this placeholder file @realmadrid1809 and I created.

Create a new XML file in PokeMMO\data\strings titled a_placeholder_for_enabling_unova_edits:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<strings lang="en" lang_full="English" is_primary="1">
  <string id="0987654321234567890"> </string>
</strings>

Without a file similar to this, your game is displaying dialog from the ROMs, not the MMO. In other words, your game is outdated.

Edited by nurver9

Some Changes:

- Berries watering dialogue box removed entirely (Instantaneous Watering)

- Berry harvesting improved

- GAME FREAK Morimoto dialogue removed

- Improved E4 dialogue again.

- Confirmed to be compatible with Gilians Encounter Counter. (I have personally been using it successfully)

- BP Exchanges in all regions have had their dialogue removed. (Excluding confirmation of item/price which has not been removed but instead shortened).

- @nurver9's post has been referenced and his .xml file has been used to properly load from the intended locations.

Updated for Halloween grinding:

- Faster wisps

- Faster turn in dialogues

- Faster Pumpking dialogues

- Faster Kids dialogue.

Note: I have not been able to test this yet since servers are offline, should work fine though. I will edit this post to confirm, or you can try it yourself when servers are online.

Edited: Tested. Works fine and kids added to list of strings removed.

Edited by ShaoYuWeiZZ
  • ShaoYuWeiZZ changed the title to [Strings] Faster Strings (Updated 31.10.2022)
2 hours ago, ShaoYuWeiZZ said:

All of them.

The unova "placeholder" file breaks mobile though so I wouldn't use that if you're on mobile.

I'll look into that sometime after Halloween.

without that placeholder file the game is displaying 48,000 lines of incorrect dialog.

I cannot stress this enough. replace the dummy string with an actual string like string 0 or something from the game. 

otherwise, Unova edits are breaking users games.

alternatively, set another language like Spanish as primary 1 flag and English to 0.

2 hours ago, ClosedBox said:

What I ended doing is dumping all strings, and then just looking for the dialogs I wanted to modify, and adding them accordingly to the strings files.

Just a heads up- when the game receives regular updates to the strings files it will overwrite those modifications.