*Art Contest* Build your own Pokemon Gym - Hoenn (20th April - 20th May)

1 hour ago, Bazomble said:

Are we allowed to use the pokemmo cosmetics helper? also does the event begin in 1 hr?

It's actually 12 a midnight(the am and pm is confusing in this regard, that's my bad!). You can use the pokemmo cosmetic helper to create your characters.

I'd recommend uploading each of your slides individually, it's too difficult to read when it automatically changes 😛 Could you sort that out and repost at midnight?? 

4 minutes ago, Bazomble said:

MB, i tried different image types but they were too big and I didnt want to clutter the chat with 10 messages, a solution I found was to save the gif and then open in a media player, that way you can slow it down/pause it. 

I would rather not have the judges need to download the gifs/images to view the presentation. You can always put them in spoilers, that will ensure it doesn't clutter the page.

Do all the pokemon have to be the arena's type or can some of them not be the same type, but follow the main theme. ( I know you specified it in the rules but sometimes some Gym leaders have pokemons that are not their Gym type however it still matches the theme of the arena, for exemple Volkner oftenly have a Pelipper to match his electric team ).

I would love to make a gym around a theme, is that okay?

The theme would mean that the pokemon teams may not be all the same type.

One person may have a certain type, and another trainer might have a different one.

Would that be against the rules?

55 minutes ago, NohanSD said:

Do all the pokemon have to be the arena's type or can some of them not be the same type, but follow the main theme. ( I know you specified it in the rules but sometimes some Gym leaders have pokemons that are not their Gym type however it still matches the theme of the arena, for exemple Volkner oftenly have a Pelipper to match his electric team ).

5 minutes ago, fubit said:

I would love to make a gym around a theme, is that okay?

The theme would mean that the pokemon teams may not be all the same type.

One person may have a certain type, and another trainer might have a different one.

Would that be against the rules?

Try and mostly follow the same type but if a Pokemon follows the same sort of theme(as with some of the gyms in PokeMMO), we would not mark you down on it. Try and explain your reasons for using them so they don’t look out of place in the team.

46 minutes ago, Dropsxs said:

Can I reference a "well known" character from DPP that trades you a pokemon?

Idk how I want to use it, but I wanna be sure if it is ok.

Yes sure

30 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

Try and mostly follow the same type but if a Pokemon follows the same sort of theme(as with some of the gyms in PokeMMO), we would not mark you down on it. Try and explain your reasons for using them so they don’t look out of place in the team.

Yes sure

Thanks for the response!

I'm thinking of a theme like, focused around a certain move, and there may be pokemon with different typings that can use that move.

Earthquake, or Thief, for example.

Also, would it be appropriate to link to a google slide as a the submission? Is there a preferred format?

9 minutes ago, fubit said:

Thanks for the response!

I'm thinking of a theme like, focused around a certain move, and there may be pokemon with different typings that can use that move.

Earthquake, or Thief, for example.

Also, would it be appropriate to link to a google slide as a the submission? Is there a preferred format?

It would be preferred if the submission is entirely on this thread. You can use spoilers to help not make a huge wall ^^

As long as your gym teams make sense and you explain your reasons for it, should be fine! I look forward to seeing them!

8 hours ago, KaynineXL said:

Please use HA that exist in PokeMMO, you should pretty much use the resources other gym leaders have.

Does this also restrict the Legendary/mythical Pokemon we have access to using for teambuilding rematch wise if it's not available in PokeMMO yet even if we just use the disclaimer "it's only introduced in that rematch battle so challengers can get the seen dex entry" or deduct points if we do that?

Example: letting our gym leader use a genesect, suicune, shaymin-sky form, etc. In their rematch team

11 hours ago, KaynineXL said:

I don’t understand your trainer classes question. Are you asking if you have to pick from trainers that exist in the game already or make your own?

You can certainly involve lore in your entry!

My idea would kind of go against already established Giovanni lore is what I'm worried about , do you guys care about that or can I fudge the timelines a little bit for the sake of the idea?

And yeah by trainer classes I mean like https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Trainer_classes should I stick to this? You guys mentioned trainer classes in the guidelines but maybe i'm worrying about it too much

5 hours ago, Bunnaiii said:

Does this also restrict the Legendary/mythical Pokemon we have access to using for teambuilding rematch wise if it's not available in PokeMMO yet even if we just use the disclaimer "it's only introduced in that rematch battle so challengers can get the seen dex entry" or deduct points if we do that?

Example: letting our gym leader use a genesect, suicune, shaymin-sky form, etc. In their rematch team

Stick to legendary/mythical pokes that are realistic to PokeMMO and in our current Pokedex for this and since they're not available to players, I wouldn't mind any abilities being used for those. I should edit a post with all the players questions really haha

2 hours ago, peggysweets said:

My idea would kind of go against already established Giovanni lore is what I'm worried about , do you guys care about that or can I fudge the timelines a little bit for the sake of the idea?

And yeah by trainer classes I mean like https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Trainer_classes should I stick to this? You guys mentioned trainer classes in the guidelines but maybe i'm worrying about it too much

You can fudge the lore if you want 🙂

I asked what trainer class they are just to give you examples of how you can give us more information about your trainers. Give whatever details you want about them, such as the classes. You can just not use one from there though, especially if you make your own.

28 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

Stick to legendary/mythical pokes that are realistic to PokeMMO and in our current Pokedex for this and since they're not available to players, I wouldn't mind any abilities being used for those. I should edit a post with all the players questions really haha

Ah f that's unfortunate with that restriction but understandable, is there any way of knowing all the legends/mythicals that's available in PokeMMO (whether we've seen them or used/battled against them before) so we can follow that? 

LMAO yeah a FAQ may be nice to add xD

question... in the gym leader team... sometimes there is 2 types (excample dark/fight and dark/normal). what i am gonna do is 2 types but i am gonna do the 1st typing and a 2nd typing are the same (excample is dark/water and water/fighting)... is that ok to get the typing or it has to be the 1st one is that typing?

5 minutes ago, Bunnaiii said:

Ah f that's unfortunate with that restriction but understandable, is there any way of knowing all the legends/mythicals that's available in PokeMMO (whether we've seen them or used/battled against them before) so we can follow that? 

LMAO yeah a FAQ may be nice to add xD

541521916a0c38fd3505f34fcaac19cf.png

You can see them under ubers in the dex

11 hours ago, brytown said:

question... in the gym leader team... sometimes there is 2 types (excample dark/fight and dark/normal). what i am gonna do is 2 types but i am gonna do the 1st typing and a 2nd typing are the same (excample is dark/water and water/fighting)... is that ok to get the typing or it has to be the 1st one is that typing?

As long as they all share 1 common typing(or a theme on a couple with good reasoning). So yes, what you said is fine.

13 hours ago, MasterWobble said:

Will post here soon
(WIP)

P.S

1. All entries must be your own original work, any plagiarised entries will be disqualified

Does this mean that resources like sprites, and tile sets have to be my original work? Or is it okay if I use the community resources.

10 hours ago, Barrelztitor said:

In regards to making sprites, can we use the already existing sprites in the game to keep the "defining artistic identity of the game" or does that count as plagiarism and need to make completely original sprites and art?

Yes existing sprites/tiles in the game can be used

Gym Leader Jacob! (Grass Type Leader) Made by SquashySquid - ign pokemmo

Jacob was a 13 year old boy  whom everyone had high expectations for.  His parents forced him to go to school and get good grades as well as join a bunch of sports teams to gain popularity.  Jacob wasn't interested in this kind of stuff and you always try to tell his parents but they would never listen.  To rebel against his parents he would often skip school and skip baseball practices.  To free his time he would spend time in Petalburg Woods  and soon become fascinated with nature in there.  He created bonds with many of the Pokemon there and made a lot of friends in those woods,  trainers and Pokemon alike.  He would battle with the Pokemon for fun and soon became really experienced in battling.  Because of all the fun he was having in the woods he would always come home late and get scolded by his parents for failing classes.  The next day, he was skipping math class he decided to go back to the woods.  At the entrance, his parents were looking at him with their arms crossed. "Is this where you've been going all this time" said his mother. His dad was silent just staring at him coldly. Jacob replied to them, "I don't want to do any of this stuff you put me through." His mother said "Nonsense" and grabbed his arm, pulling him back in the direction of the school. The dad followed, but when they were heading back, a shroomish came out came out and slapped the parents. The mom let go of  Jacob and he ran back into the woods with the Pokemon. He led him throughout the forest, and they were soon met with a small tree in the road. The Shroomish called out for a Zigzagoon, who quickly cut the tree. Jacob ran through the woods with the Shroomish and soon escaped the world of his parents and social life. He would live with the Pokemon in the woods, making them stronger in return for food and shelter. 

At the age of 15, Jacob wanted to do something in his life. He was tired of living it, and wanted a challenge. He missed the smell of pollution in the cities, and the smiles and talking of people. He decided to sign up to be a trainer. He left the woods, and said farewell to all his Pokemon friends. "I will come back to see you guys I promise!" Jacob signed up as a trainer, and got to meet Professor Birch. He offered Jacob a torchic, treecko, and a mudkip, but Jacob declined, and said "I know who I want my starter to be." He asked Birch to take him to Petalburg Woods. Once they reached there, he called out "Shroomish!" No one came. "Shroomish!" Once again, no reply. Jacob laughed and said, "Shroomish I got a Sitrus berry for you!" That's when the Shroomish came out and ran over to hug Jacob. Jacob hugged Shroomish back and said, "Do you want to go on a journey with me?" The Shroomish nodded its head, and Birch gave me the thumbs up, that this can be my partner.

Shroomish and Jacob soon became one of the best duos in the Hoenn region. Gym after Gym, Badge after Badge, they were crossing Hoenn as if it was their own backyard! Jacob left all his worries behind and used his past trauma as a kid in his battles. Jacob was at the Elite 4, when he heard a conversation about how the Petalburg Gym leader is retiring. He then had the idea, to apply for the Gym Leader spot there! He could make the lives in Petalburg Woods great for everyone. So he went to the forums, and posted his application. Hoping to be accepted!

Badge: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/975143212035489802/1099377640936321065/IMG_0372.jpg?width=347&height=463

Layout:https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/975143212035489802/1099377641380905053/IMG_0341.jpg?width=347&height=463

*the layout is the same as the original gym, except instead of battle rooms, its a quiz about Petalburg Woods! Answer incorrectly, and you must battle a trainer.*

Teams:

Gym Leader 1st Team: https://pokepast.es/8d8f1f8d4bffc35b

Gym Leader 2nd Team: https://pokepast.es/8fde6e88a6769d3d

Gym Trainer Anthony (Schoolboy) Team: https://pokepast.es/b6f2edfaf897c703

Gym Trainer Kevin (Schoolboy) Team: https://pokepast.es/76bfe2194a5a1dda

Scripts

Gym Leader Jacob's Script

1st Battle: "I remember I used to battle gyms like this...I hated losing, so I won't lose to you!"
Lost Battle: "I let you win, I was sick of carrying this gym badge. Also take this, too!" *gives bullet seed tm*
Won Battle: "Sorry, but no one can take down Breloom and I!"

Gym Trainer Anthony (Schoolboy)

Before the battle: "Just because I'm a nerd doesn't mean I'm weak!"
After Winning: "Guess my strength isn't as good as my brains, huh"

Gym Trainer Kevin (Schoolboy)

Before the battle: "Let's not make this battle SPORING"
After winning: "Get it, because SPORING rhymes with BORING..."

Thanks for the judges or anyone who is reading my entry! I wish the best of luck to everyone who is participating!

Edited by SquashySquid

question... i am gonna have 2 indoor backround pics from another sorce. then used my trainers/idems scattered acrossed that room... (ie istock image) is that ok or use 'my paint' (or other painting apps) and draw the indoor? i am a bad background guy and i just wanna get a background of the buildings and make my own trainers. i mean the 2 images doesn't have the water mark (that i can tell)... pic down below of the 2 images.

iStock_000021977457Small.png

2 4566a7ab-8623-4863-bdca-48de78dbe5ee-InsideWaterMarkbuilding.png