Sorting out what's allowed and what's not

Hi there, PokeMMO players and PokeMMO staff!

I recently stumbled upon a video where a PokeMMO content creator was banned, with suspicions being directed towards the fact he'd been using a controller.

From there, I found a forum post where Rache clarified "He wasn't banned for simply using a controller, nor was it an act of malice against him.", which still leaves me a bit curious.

While I totally understand why you would want to keep the specifics to yourselves, as to not tip off potential cheaters, it still leaves a large portion of the player base nervous to what you're allowed to do and what you're not.

In that same vain, I have a few clarifying questions that I'd like to know if they're allowed or not. Bear in mind that none of these questions, to my knowledge, are answered in the terms of service for the game.

1. Every controller I've used have given me the advantage of 'rapid firing input' in a way that keyboards cannot. For example, using a normal Xbox controller, you're able to hold the A button down during combat to rapidly input that same button, while you have to repeatedly press the SPACE bar in order to achieve the same results on a keyboard. This is standard functionality for any controller I've tested, and of course out of the box without any separate software needed.
Is this allowed?

2. While a variety of software that enables you to play on multiple accounts on the same device has been forbidden (namely VM's and emulators), I've yet to stumble upon a statement that simply playing on multiple accounts on the same device is. This seems a bit weird to me, because while some methods for playing on multiple accounts on the same device is clearly not allowed, the practice itself seems to be in a sort of grayzone, where you don't encourage it but don't disallow it either. 
Some clarity here would be appreciated.

3. On that same note, there are still some nuance to be had. The latest Samsung Android phones come with the functionality for 'Phone Link', which mirrors your phone screen to your PC. In this instance, the entire processing for the actual game is being conducted on the phone, with the app window on the desktop screen showing what would have been shown on the phone. Essentially, two different devices are being used to play the game, but it takes place on the same device. 

Is this allowed?

4. What counts as third party software? While macros, scripts and other unfair practices are understandably not allowed, are you allowed to use third party software, while using a controller, to bind a single controller input to a single keyboard output?

For example, I bind the A button on my controller, using third party software, to output the letter 'K' from my keyboard. 

Of course, multiple outputs for a single input would be against the rules, but what about one input - one output?

Is this allowed?

As a side note to that same question: Would merely having that software present on your PC be able to cause enough suspicions to warrant a permanent ban, regardless if the practice of one input - one output is allowed or not?

I'm looking forward to any clarity about the rules, because I, together with a large portion of the player base, are looking to play the game in good faith without the risk for 'accidentally' breaking any rules that are not clearly stated on the website.

Cheers, everyone!

Edited by LilBoyMacc

This message is not to answer all your questions as you are probably looking for an answer from an active staff member, and not even sure that I can give you the answers that you are looking for, but I really want to mention the following myself.

So many people already use controllers and are not banned. People get banned because they get stupid and use some sort of automation while playing the game, like a macro. 

Whenever people are banned for botting and have their ban appeal rejected (where evidence is reviewed by another senior staff member than the staff member who issued the ban) it is simple: the player remains banned because the evidence is there and they are in fact guilty

So don't worry - keep using your controllers without fear; just use them manually. Don't get tempted to use some sort of macro as that is considered botting too.

Enjoy the game. 🙂 

1 hour ago, LilBoyMacc said:

Olá, jogadores do PokeMMO e equipe do PokeMMO!

Recentemente, me deparei com um vídeo em que um criador de conteúdo do PokeMMO foi banido, com suspeitas direcionadas ao fato de ele estar usando um controle.

A partir daí, encontrei uma postagem no fórum onde Rache esclareceu " Ele não foi banido simplesmente por usar um controlador, nem foi um ato de malícia contra ele.", o que ainda me deixa um pouco curioso.

Embora eu entenda totalmente por que você gostaria de manter os detalhes para si mesmos, para não alertar possíveis trapaceiros, isso ainda deixa uma grande parte da base de jogadores nervosa com o que você pode fazer e o que não pode.

Nesse mesmo sentido, tenho algumas dúvidas esclarecedoras que gostaria de saber se são permitidas ou não. Lembre-se de que nenhuma dessas perguntas, que eu saiba, é respondida nos termos de serviço do jogo.

1. Todos os controladores que usei me deram a vantagem de 'entrada de disparo rápido' de uma forma que os teclados não podem. Por exemplo, usando um controle normal do Xbox, você pode manter o botão A pressionado durante o combate para inserir rapidamente o mesmo botão, enquanto precisa pressionar repetidamente a barra de ESPAÇO para obter os mesmos resultados em um teclado. Esta é uma funcionalidade padrão para qualquer controlador que testei e, claro, pronta para uso, sem a necessidade de nenhum software separado.
Isso é permitido?

2. Embora vários softwares que permitem jogar em várias contas no mesmo dispositivo tenham sido proibidos (ou seja, VMs e emuladores), ainda não encontrei uma declaração de que simplesmente jogar em várias contas no mesmo dispositivo é. Isso parece um pouco estranho para mim, porque embora alguns métodos para jogar em várias contas no mesmo dispositivo claramente não sejam permitidos, a prática em si parece estar em uma espécie de zona cinzenta, onde você não incentiva, mas não proíbe isso também. 
Alguma clareza aqui seria apreciada.

3. Na mesma nota, ainda há algumas nuances a serem obtidas. Os telefones Samsung Android mais recentes vêm com a funcionalidade 'Phone Link', que espelha a tela do telefone no PC. Nesse caso, todo o processamento do jogo real está sendo realizado no telefone, com a janela do aplicativo na tela do desktop mostrando o que seria mostrado no telefone. Essencialmente, dois dispositivos diferentes estão sendo usados para jogar o jogo, mas ocorre no mesmo dispositivo. 

Isso é permitido?

4. O que conta como software de terceiros? Embora macros, scripts e outras práticas desleais compreensivelmente não sejam permitidas, você pode usar software de terceiros, enquanto estiver usando um controlador, para vincular uma única entrada do controlador a uma única saída do teclado?

Por exemplo, eu ligo o botão A no meu controlador, usando um software de terceiros, para gerar a letra 'K' do meu teclado. 

É claro que várias saídas para uma única entrada seriam contra as regras, mas e quanto a uma entrada - uma saída?

Isso é permitido?

Como uma nota lateral para a mesma pergunta: Apenas ter esse software presente em seu PC seria capaz de causar suspeitas suficientes para justificar um banimento permanente, independentemente se a prática de uma entrada - uma saída é permitida ou não?

Aguardo qualquer esclarecimento sobre as regras, porque eu, junto com uma grande parte da base de jogadores, estamos procurando jogar o jogo de boa fé sem o risco de quebrar 'acidentalmente' quaisquer regras que não estejam claramente declaradas em o site.

Saúde, pessoal!

With these questions, I was in doubt, is it allowed to use keyboard and mouse on Android? the keyboard on Android gives an advantage of updating the gtl with the Space key, the mouse would help players to copy the texts, I would like to know if it is allowed too.

9 hours ago, LilBoyMacc said:

Hi there, PokeMMO players and PokeMMO staff!

I recently stumbled upon a video where a PokeMMO content creator was banned, with suspicions being directed towards the fact he'd been using a controller.

From there, I found a forum post where Rache clarified "He wasn't banned for simply using a controller, nor was it an act of malice against him.", which still leaves me a bit curious.

While I totally understand why you would want to keep the specifics to yourselves, as to not tip off potential cheaters, it still leaves a large portion of the player base nervous to what you're allowed to do and what you're not.

In that same vain, I have a few clarifying questions that I'd like to know if they're allowed or not. Bear in mind that none of these questions, to my knowledge, are answered in the terms of service for the game.

1. Every controller I've used have given me the advantage of 'rapid firing input' in a way that keyboards cannot. For example, using a normal Xbox controller, you're able to hold the A button down during combat to rapidly input that same button, while you have to repeatedly press the SPACE bar in order to achieve the same results on a keyboard. This is standard functionality for any controller I've tested, and of course out of the box without any separate software needed.
Is this allowed?

2. While a variety of software that enables you to play on multiple accounts on the same device has been forbidden (namely VM's and emulators), I've yet to stumble upon a statement that simply playing on multiple accounts on the same device is. This seems a bit weird to me, because while some methods for playing on multiple accounts on the same device is clearly not allowed, the practice itself seems to be in a sort of grayzone, where you don't encourage it but don't disallow it either. 

3. On that same note, there are still some nuance to be had. The latest Samsung Android phones come with the functionality for 'Phone Link', which mirrors your phone screen to your PC. In this instance, the entire processing for the actual game is being conducted on the phone, with the app window on the desktop screen showing what would have been shown on the phone. Essentially, two different devices are being used to play the game, but it takes place on the same device. 

Is this allowed?

4. What counts as third party software? While macros, scripts and other unfair practices are understandably not allowed, are you allowed to use third party software, while using a controller, to bind a single controller input to a single keyboard output?

For example, I bind the A button on my controller, using third party software, to output the letter 'K' from my keyboard. 

Of course, multiple outputs for a single input would be against the rules, but what about one input - one output?

Is this allowed?

As a side note to that same question: Would merely having that software present on your PC be able to cause enough suspicions to warrant a permanent ban, regardless if the practice of one input - one output is allowed or not?

I'm looking forward to any clarity about the rules, because I, together with a large portion of the player base, are looking to play the game in good faith without the risk for 'accidentally' breaking any rules that are not clearly stated on the website.

Cheers, everyone!

ok, i'm going to answer.

Is this allowed?

Answer: Probablly not allowed. Reason: You can set two rapid fire buttons and you already have a automatic XP farm. A example of how this can be abused is like this: Use a mon with quake as first move on first slot, give a Exp. Share to a mon you want to buff, and set X button to be "A" button and Y button as a hotkey to use sweet scent. Trigger both at same time and you'll be farming XP until run out of PP. 

Using a controller is fine but i think use this feature not, otherwise people could abuse from this trick to train mons faster.

On that same note, there are still some nuance to be had. The latest Samsung Android phones come with the functionality for 'Phone Link', which mirrors your phone screen to your PC. In this instance, the entire processing for the actual game is being conducted on the phone, with the app window on the desktop screen showing what would have been shown on the phone. Essentially, two different devices are being used to play the game, but it takes place on the same device. 

Is this allowed?

Answer for 2 and 3: Any way you run 2 accounts on same device simultaneously is considered client tampering and will lead to ban. If you want to log with two accounts, this has to be done in separate devices. If both are being processed separatedly idk that in case of 3, is bannable because you're just sharescreening the Desktop screen on phone. Is the same case that i sharescreen my screen on phone with game open on my desktop and at same time open on desktop the game. In a resume way

Having one account: Allowed
Having two or more accounts: Allowed
Use both accounts at same time: Allowed
Use both accounts at same device: Allowed
Use both accounts at same time on Same device: Not Allowed.
Use accounts for malicious purposes(aka matchmaking/tour manipulation , macro abusing on one but not in other): Obviously not allowed.

Is this allowed?

Answer:
I think this can be Third-party software. There is simply no reason to you use a software to bind a controller button on a keyboard button, to utilize that said button on game. You can connect the controller on your PC and direct bind the button onto a key. You can directly bind the "A" button of game with the "A" button of your controller. There is no need of said software to do so. If you're having troubles with the controllers, raise a ticket on the support platform and play with keyboard while they're resolving the issue.

5. Would merely having that software present on your PC be able to cause enough suspicions to warrant a permanent ban, regardless if the practice of one input - one output is allowed or not? 

Answer: If you're using a software that are interfering with the game, then it will be bannable. The system doesn't detect if you're using software or not on your device, they detect if they're interfering in the game.

Edited by caioxlive13

I think for question number 3 can be answered by Teddi's statement:

On 4/8/2023 at 9:24 AM, Teddi said:

Hi,

Screencasting is not against the rules. You are effectively using 2 devices but one screen. As long as you are not using any sort of automation (inputs automatically generated, one input generates more than one action or actions on more than one account) or using one device as different devices, you are not breaking any rules.

I hope this clarifies. 🙂

As I've learned on my years playing the game and reading forum posts from admins; basically it is forbidden to use software or anything that automates the game, like it plays by itself without needing you to actually play, from that we can conclude that such things you asked like rapid firing or biding keys is not a problem since it doesn't give any advantage or automates the gameplay.

About playing with multiple accounts, they never said playing on multiple accounts simultaneously is forbidden, paraphrasing what admins said about that: they don't care if you farm or play in 2-3 accounts at the same time as long as you play all them manually whether playing them at the same device or combining devices like pc+phone. But, it is forbidden to use a bot in any of those accounts or setting your pc so all your characters are being controlled at the same time by the same keyboard inputs.  Also, if they detect you farming shiny pokemon in like 5+ accounts they directly ban all those accounts without warning. 

That's what I have been learning by digging in posts like yours that got answered by admins, I was worried specially by multi account on the same device simultaneously because I like to play 2 accounts at the same time. One time I also binded ctrl key to another key in my laptop because it was broken and never had problems.

20 hours ago, ToxicoDave said:

As I've learned on my years playing the game and reading forum posts from admins; basically it is forbidden to use software or anything that automates the game, like it plays by itself without needing you to actually play, from that we can conclude that such things you asked like rapid firing or biding keys is not a problem since it doesn't give any advantage or automates the gameplay.

About playing with multiple accounts, they never said playing on multiple accounts simultaneously is forbidden, paraphrasing what admins said about that: they don't care if you farm or play in 2-3 accounts at the same time as long as you play all them manually whether playing them at the same device or combining devices like pc+phone. But, it is forbidden to use a bot in any of those accounts or setting your pc so all your characters are being controlled at the same time by the same keyboard inputs.  Also, if they detect you farming shiny pokemon in like 5+ accounts they directly ban all those accounts without warning. 

That's what I have been learning by digging in posts like yours that got answered by admins, I was worried specially by multi account on the same device simultaneously because I like to play 2 accounts at the same time. One time I also binded ctrl key to another key in my laptop because it was broken and never had problems.

That was my understanding as well, but I think it runs a bit counter to the fact they've disallowed the use of VM's or emulators, so I just wanted to make sure!

An answer on some of my questions from an active staff member would definitely be appreciated.

23 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

ok, i'm going to answer.

Is this allowed?

Answer: Probablly not allowed. Reason: You can set two rapid fire buttons and you already have a automatic XP farm. A example of how this can be abused is like this: Use a mon with quake as first move on first slot, give a Exp. Share to a mon you want to buff, and set X button to be "A" button and Y button as a hotkey to use sweet scent. Trigger both at same time and you'll be farming XP until run out of PP. 

Using a controller is fine but i think use this feature not, otherwise people could abuse from this trick to train mons faster.

On that same note, there are still some nuance to be had. The latest Samsung Android phones come with the functionality for 'Phone Link', which mirrors your phone screen to your PC. In this instance, the entire processing for the actual game is being conducted on the phone, with the app window on the desktop screen showing what would have been shown on the phone. Essentially, two different devices are being used to play the game, but it takes place on the same device. 

Is this allowed?

Answer for 2 and 3: Any way you run 2 accounts on same device simultaneously is considered client tampering and will lead to ban. If you want to log with two accounts, this has to be done in separate devices. If both are being processed separatedly idk that in case of 3, is bannable because you're just sharescreening the Desktop screen on phone. Is the same case that i sharescreen my screen on phone with game open on my desktop and at same time open on desktop the game. In a resume way

Having one account: Allowed
Having two or more accounts: Allowed
Use both accounts at same time: Allowed
Use both accounts at same device: Allowed
Use both accounts at same time on Same device: Not Allowed.
Use accounts for malicious purposes(aka matchmaking/tour manipulation , macro abusing on one but not in other): Obviously not allowed.

Is this allowed?

Answer:
I think this can be Third-party software. There is simply no reason to you use a software to bind a controller button on a keyboard button, to utilize that said button on game. You can connect the controller on your PC and direct bind the button onto a key. You can directly bind the "A" button of game with the "A" button of your controller. There is no need of said software to do so. If you're having troubles with the controllers, raise a ticket on the support platform and play with keyboard while they're resolving the issue.

5. Would merely having that software present on your PC be able to cause enough suspicions to warrant a permanent ban, regardless if the practice of one input - one output is allowed or not? 

Answer: If you're using a software that are interfering with the game, then it will be bannable. The system doesn't detect if you're using software or not on your device, they detect if they're interfering in the game.

1. I frequently do this on accident, actually to my detriment as a player. Wanting to select a move that isn't the first but I accidentally held the button and chose the first, which happened to be a move my opponent was immune to, and the next turn they made my pokemon faint. I don't remember which move or mon it was, but it's happened more than a few times. If this were to get me banned, I think that'd be kinda silly.

As a side, is it even possible to bind an overworld move to a hotkey? 'Cause otherwise how would one bind sweet scent to Y in the first place?? Also if your pokemon faints it ruins that potential exploit, as well as if either of your party members want to learn a new move, the loop is moot, and if the opponent disables, torments or otherwise incapacitates that first move, you're stuck in a loop of doing nothing but trying and failing to use quake. It's just not a practical exploit by any means, and not a reason for rapid fire input on a controller to be a reasonably bannable offense. Best bet is the devs allow it, or patch the game to stop it from happening.

Edited by TheGoodMush

No on talking about that "rapid fire" works on pc too. My "A" button is bound to my space key on my keyboard and just pressing and not releasing it makes it press "A" the whole time. On my desktop the same as on my laptop. 

19 minutes ago, TheGoodMush said:

1. I frequently do this on accident, actually to my detriment as a player. Wanting to select a move that isn't the first but I accidentally held the button and chose the first, which happened to be a move my opponent was immune to, and the next turn they made my pokemon faint. I don't remember which move or mon it was, but it's happened more than a few times. If this were to get me banned, I think that'd be kinda silly.

As a side, is it even possible to bind an overworld move to a hotkey? 'Cause otherwise how would one bind sweet scent to Y in the first place?? Also if your pokemon faints it ruins that potential exploit, as well as if either of your party members want to learn a new move, the loop is moot, and if the opponent disables, torments or otherwise incapacitates that first move, you're stuck in a loop of doing nothing but trying and failing to use quake. It's just not a practical exploit by any means, and not a reason for rapid fire input on a controller to be a reasonably bannable offense. Best bet is the devs allow it, or patch the game to stop it from happening.

You can bind sweetscent, surf and other moves to hotkeys. 

On 7/27/2023 at 3:56 AM, Torino said:

With these questions, I was in doubt, is it allowed to use keyboard and mouse on Android? the keyboard on Android gives an advantage of updating the gtl with the Space key, the mouse would help players to copy the texts, I would like to know if it is allowed too.

You can allready copy and paste on android with out mouse and keyboard.