How to start preparing for Halloween event?

I'm still clearing the regions, but I understand this is one of the bigger events in the game, with particle mons, rare spawns, boss battles, etc.

My initial plan was to clear the regions, farm money with berry farming and trainer rebattles, then work on building a gym run team. With this event likely only a month and a half away, I just want to get an idea of what you veteran players think I should do to prepare for these events in terms of how I should be spending/saving my money right now.

Hi, a recommendation could be that leveling your Pokémon to lvl 100 - cause you will never know what team will be worth using to defeat the Pumpking. The last few years a lot of teams to defeat Pumpking included (but not limited to) Aerodactyl, Mr. Mime, Krookodile, Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Togekiss but who knows if that will be the case again. People always figure out a 3-4 mon team that works against Pumpking. The developers will definitely adjust things so players don't go out and farm the Pumpking immediately - that new tactics have to be figured. 

Farm money, get cheap Dittos to put particle on (perhaps even shinies) as these will likely increase in price too during event, get recipee items ready (for example, Berry Power) for the Full Heal, Full Restore items etc. Different berries also increase in prices during event as people adjust EVs on their comps. 

That being said, a lot of people tend to lose a lot of money trying to prepare for Halloween as a lot of the things that you prepared will be worthless, and you will in fact just have wasted money. If I was going to prepare for it, I would just farm money and be ready to adjust to this year's Pumpking when I know what team I will be needing. 

Good luck 🙂 

Attached to what Seth said, which pretty much sums up this last years, if you had to blind pick a pokemon to use, probably Tyranitar. It has been useful every single time this event was released, so it wouldn't be a bad choice to gamble at it. Of course, you will need more but those tend to vary.

Edit: Also, add alphas to particle, since those may have a lot of interest in the following months, and can give you a lot of cash.

Based on the previous Halloween event, I would recommend you to prepare some Pokemons with dark/ghost type (also move set for STAB) since this type is super effective against Pumpking Boss (I believe the boss is ghost type). Unfortunately we don't know what the next event will be like and it may cost you a lot if the Pokemons you have prepared is ineffective against the boss. Your initial plan actually great, I personally advice you to also collect exp candies from alpha battle to save time when you already decided what Pokemon used and need to level up your Pokemon to level 100 during the event.

Buy some rps instead of keeping all your investments as pokeyen. (RPs usually go up in price during Halloween event - you can sell those during event or buy cosmetics from gift shop)

Familiarize with last Halloween's pumking and get ready for a similar boss fight where you cant use more than 2 items. (item restricted boss fights seem to be the trend now - e4, radiant ho-oh, red)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have atleast 2 alt accounts incase they release unfarmable tradeable rewards. (If this doesn't end up being the case alts will help you farm more berries for cash)