Rank boosting still seems to be a unspoken problem for ranked PVP?

I Was into the pvp scene in this game pretty heavily around 2017-18, back then there's was an issue with certain groups of people using the low numbers of people in matchmaking at  certain times to form groups and "boost'" each other's ranks. This is a problem many mmos with a  ranked pvp system often struggle with, its nothing new and it dealing with it in pokemmo seemed to be an pretty open discussion. Upon returning to the game I've noticed this still seems to be a glaring issue. I watched OU matches for about 3 hours yesterday and more then 80% of them were clearly people rank boosting. Every single match was just endless switch outs to run out the timer that indicates the match has been long enough then a forfeit without a single HP of damage being done by either side. Why is this issue no longer talked about? There seems to be more mods then ever and just having a few of them spectate high level pvps (especially where one is an elite trainer and one is a novice or regular trainer rank) to check for this kind of behavior would be a big deterrent. I do like the unique flavor of this games meta but unfortunately the clear boosting and lack of meaningful rewards STILL (which is a whole other thing that I'm surprised has not been fixed and is not being discussed) severely discourages me from wanting to play for rank and rewards. 

5 hours ago, GunkQing said:

If thats true that is pretty sad. Just got into the game and was excited to join the ranked ladder once I finish the story. 

But if people are just free to exploit the system like that thats quite the motivation killer

You're good. There's been punishments issued for win trading, it definitely happens, but this guy is blowing it way out of proportion. 

13 hours ago, drewq said:

You're good. There's been punishments issued for win trading, it definitely happens, but this guy is blowing it way out of proportion. 

How exactly am I blowing it out of proportion? By saying it exists? You admit it happens why are you so casually trying to downplay and defend this behavior this like it's no big deal some of our top 100 players (and maybe many of them) have cheated to get where they are. Like I said I watched pvp for 3 hours and saw well over 20 matches where the rank boosting was blatantly obvious. It's very strange to me that nobody is willing to even properly acknowledge it. 

I assure you that behind the scenes matters are being dealt with and bans are on the table for those manipulating ranks. That's not just lip service, just last week some bans were handed out for this very issue.

No system is perfect though. What does help is if you know for sure and can provide some tangible proof of rank manipulation report it in our ticketing system and I promise you it does get investigated. But as always proof is required for GMs to take action on reports.

I will bring up to Desu the matter of improving our match up monitoring system.

@Gizmo, a definitive solution would be to only allow ranked play during specific "peak" hours when there are typically a lot of people playing. Has this been already considered and decided against? I know that it's drastic and would suck for many people, but would also completely solve this issue at least in OU.

1 hour ago, Grisaia said:

@Gizmo, a definitive solution would be to only allow ranked play during specific "peak" hours when there are typically a lot of people playing. Has this been already considered and decided against? I know that it's drastic and would suck for many people, but would also completely solve this issue at least in OU.

No that's absolutely terrible, it's not so big of an issue to justify completely destroying players with different timezones and like people mentioned in this thread it IS actively dealt with. Just remember to report it if you think you've stumbled upon one of these cases.

On 10/11/2023 at 1:47 AM, RoughneckKirby said:

How exactly am I blowing it out of proportion? By saying it exists? You admit it happens why are you so casually trying to downplay and defend this behavior this like it's no big deal some of our top 100 players (and maybe many of them) have cheated to get where they are. Like I said I watched pvp for 3 hours and saw well over 20 matches where the rank boosting was blatantly obvious. It's very strange to me that nobody is willing to even properly acknowledge it. 

People acknowledge it, but they don't care enough unless it's them or someone in their circle.

Killing someone is illegal, and people still do it, doubt you'd care about every single person killed.