Inspect other players

Sourcerer

Question

Implement a feature where players can click on a nearby player and inspect them. 

1. This inspect feature would let us see their vanity slots with description tooltips on hover.

2. The inspect feature would also show the inspected player's current pokemons, and those mons would also be inspectible so that we can see the stats and information regarding their mons.

3. Additional Trainer information could be visible when inspecting. This information can include their account creation date, hours played, rank etc.

I think this would significantly improve the community aspect of the game.

This could also allow players to admire others and set new goals for themselves, which in turn should improve player retention and loyalty levels.

8 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Sourcerer said:

Implement a feature where players can click on a nearby player and inspect them. 

1. This inspect feature would let us see their vanity slots with description tooltips on hover.

2. The inspect feature would also show the inspected player's current pokemons, and those mons would also be inspectible so that we can see the stats and information regarding their mons.

3. Additional Trainer information could be visible when inspecting. This information can include their account creation date, hours played, rank etc.

I think this would significantly improve the community aspect of the game.

This could also allow players to admire others and set new goals for themselves, which in turn should improve player retention and loyalty levels.

I think that this isn't a good idea. Maybe trainer card alone, but if you could inspect others pokemon, matches in the overworld can become greatly unfair. Especially with knowing the stats and movesets of their mons? No way. I think vanities are also not very reasonable to be allowed to "inspect" because the amount of beggars who would just harrass people with cool vanities is insane. You wouldn't think it'd be likely, but it definitely would happen a LOT, especially for those with the rarer vanities, basically Red Reaper Hood and upwards would be constantly asked to sell their stuff.

I also disagree with the improving community aspect. Anyone who knows what vanities are rare and important (AKA the ones who'd be inspecting other players) would already have played the game long enough to have goals in mind. If they're curious, they can just ask the player.

1 hour ago, Strodex said:

if you could inspect others pokemon, matches in the overworld can become greatly unfair

How it is unfair if both parties can see it?

I think vanities are also not very reasonable to be allowed to "inspect" because the amount of beggars who would just harrass people with cool vanities is insane.

I can't imagine someone would beg someone for part of his outfit, also you can see it already just some people won't know vanity name

Maybe trainer card alone

How is this any better than showing someone's vanities which are visible anyway? I bet more players would beg for money, like 1kk if they see you have 200kk. 

I wouldn't mind any of it 
Just give player possibility to choose what he wants to share

Edited by MisakiMei
26 minutes ago, MisakiMei said:

How it is unfair if both parties can see it?

Because if you can inspect someone, presumably without permission, you can easily get away with just seeing other teams. The only ways to mitigate this is if it's either giving a notification to the inspected player or giving an "inspect request", this of course I think could be helpful, if customizable in the settings.

I can't imagine someone would beg someone for part of his outfit, also you can see it already just some people won't know vanity name

I might've misunderstood the original point, I assumed that it was being able to see all vanities but I definitely didn't see "Vanity slot", if its just what they're wearing then I think this could be a nice QoL addition.

How is this any better than showing someone's vanities which are visible anyway? I bet more players would beg for money, like 1kk if they see you have 200kk. 

My apologies, I'm realizing my original comment was a bit rushed. When I say trainer card I mean Pokedex count and starting date, I forgot it shows money lol

I wouldn't mind any of it 
Just give player possibility to choose what he wants to share

Has been suggested at least 20x times, was most popular at least 20 times. Multiple recommendations such as a "hide team" checkbox for privacy and all mankind could think of.

However, the devs like to miss out on the most obvious MMO-stuff, they are 2 busy overfilling the game with vanities.

Edited by Johnwaynee
On 12/23/2023 at 5:24 AM, Johnwaynee said:

Has been suggested at least 20x times, was most popular at least 20 times. Multiple recommendations such as a "hide team" checkbox for privacy and all mankind could think of.

However, the devs like to miss out on the most obvious MMO-stuff, they are 2 busy overfilling the game with vanities.

Thanks for the info. This is really sad.

The only way I would add this is with the other person's permission, as a trade request, and for a time period for it, without leaving the option to see the Pokémon on your team, for that you could already send a link in the chat. If it teaches the Pokémon it would break with the unofficial tournaments that the game has as well as psl, tcl, wc, or even TT