[Denied]TM Distribution - a more feasible idea.

Adjusting the percentages to the point where it requires some work but not enough to discourage players into another playthrough would take a lot of balancing from the Devs. They just don't have that kind of time when you look at what remains to be done - of course TM renewability isn't necessarily high in priority. The idea of making story TMs untradeable is probably the best we can do, but it does lack a lot of logic - plus those TMs would need extra work done to differentiate them from the held-TMs.

Removing story TMs may not be the right solution, but it's my favorite at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Once thief is implemented, TMs will be easier to farm. Maybe place more desirable TMs on rarer pokemon in Safari, so that Thief cant be used, and soso TMs like Shock Wave and Water pulse on common pokes like pikachu and starmie.

A lot of balancing needs to be thought out. Too rare and people will just make alt accounts to get TMs, too common and there will be so many of the damn things around that people will just be giving them away. There wont be any market for them at all! Think how many shinys are going around at only 1\8192 odds of even encountering one.

But I fully support this idea! It just needs to be done carefully.

EDIT Holy shit i totally necroed this. Sorry, I somehow found myself on this topic and have been reading it for ages, I forgot it was old!

Once thief is implemented, TMs will be easier to farm. Maybe place more desirable TMs on rarer pokemon in Safari, so that Thief cant be used, and soso TMs like Shock Wave and Water pulse on common pokes like pikachu and starmie.

A lot of balancing needs to be thought out. Too rare and people will just make alt accounts to get TMs, too common and there will be so many of the damn things around that people will just be giving them away. There wont be any market for them at all! Think how many shinys are going around at only 1\8192 odds of even encountering one.

But I fully support this idea! It just needs to be done carefully.

EDIT Holy shit i totally necroed this. Sorry, I somehow found myself on this topic and have been reading it for ages, I forgot it was old!

It's not really a necro if it's still on the agenda, and no solution has been met yet.

That being said, it can all be done with percentage rates.

Would anyone be interested in helping come up with percentage rates for each Pokemon holding X TM?

Would anyone be interested in helping come up with percentage rates for each Pokemon holding X TM?

id love to help but i wouldnt know enough to do anything but guesstimate.

id assume the held item rate would have to be valued inversely with the corresponding pokemon's encounter rate?

and then the encounter to held item ratio would have to be calculated according to the subjective value given to each tm (perhaps)?

sounds like a lot of guess work.

id love to help but i wouldnt know enough to do anything but guesstimate.

id assume the held item rate would have to be valued inversely with the corresponding pokemon's encounter rate?

and then the encounter to held item ratio would have to be calculated according to the subjective value given to each tm (perhaps)?

sounds like a lot of guess work.

All of that would be correct.

i guess the first step would be to determine the tiers in which each tm belongs...?

lol but its so subjective.

for example you suggest that tbolt be put on pikachus while thunder is on electabuzz. i feel like it should be the opposite because accuracy > power in my opinion, thus tbolt is more "valuable".

i feel like we would have to monitor the trade chat to determine which tms are in most demand. and this cant be done for tbolt ibeam fthrower until theyre implemented..

so confusing ;_;

Well, if I could pitch one example - Earthquake.

To play through to get multiple copies of that would take a while, because obviously, its obtained in the final gym, so I don't think a whole lot of thought needs to be put into that particular one.

Same goes for Fire Blast and Overheat, so they could quite comfortably be made into 1 or 2% drops on rarer encounters, or 5-8% on encounters like Kangaskhan and Tauros (they don't need to be as rare as the Lucky Egg, so maybe even 10% would be appropriate there.)

If this gets implemented it will be hell.

1) Catch Meowth

2) Grind Meowth to respectable level.

3) Payday everything

4) Buy pokeballs

5) Catch pokemon which holds Thief TM

6) Cry when i don't get one

7) Repeat steps 3 - 6 when money runs out

8) If I have somehow survived this ordeal and have the Thief TM, teach it to Meowth.

9) Thief everything

10) Contemplate the meaning of life

If this gets implemented it will be hell.

1) Catch Meowth

2) Grind Meowth to respectable level.

3) Payday everything

4) Buy pokeballs

5) Catch pokemon which holds Thief TM

6) Cry when i don't get one

7) Repeat steps 3 - 6 when money runs out

8) If I have somehow survived this ordeal and have the Thief TM, teach it to Meowth.

9) Thief everything

10) Contemplate the meaning of life

The percentage rates would hopefully be enough to balance out the time taken to obtain the TM's on an alternate account, the rarity of the Pokemon, and the value of the TM.

Well I think we can all agree that this is a good idea. All that's left is to flesh it out. I think if we're going to make a tier list for tms we should assume that they're all obtainable in the fashion they were in the original games. As has been said already, the one off tms that you get at the end of the game are going to be more valuable than the one-offs you get at the start.

With this in mind, making a tier list should be as simple as going through the game's tm list and arranging all of the one-off tms in the order they can be aqquired. That should give us a good starting point at least.

Well I think we can all agree that this is a good idea. All that's left is to flesh it out. I think if we're going to make a tier list for tms we should assume that they're all obtainable in the fashion they were in the original games. As has been said already, the one off tms that you get at the end of the game are going to be more valuable than the one-offs you get at the start.

With this in mind, making a tier list should be as simple as going through the game's tm list and arranging all of the one-off tms in the order they can be aqquired. That should give us a good starting point at least.

That sounds like a great idea.

Then we'd just need to take rarity into account also.

Would anyone mind making this list? Or is this something I'm going to have to do when I have some more time.

That sounds like a great idea.

Then we'd just need to take rarity into account also.

Would anyone mind making this list? Or is this something I'm going to have to do when I have some more time.

I could get started on this, should I just go down the list of the currently availalbe (wild) pokemon including the safari zone and simply plug and chug the hold items making a custom version of the 4/5th gen hold items specifically for PMMO via an Excel chart?

I could get started on this, should I just go down the list of the currently availalbe (wild) pokemon including the safari zone and simply plug and chug the hold items making a custom version of the 4/5th gen hold items specifically for PMMO via an Excel chart?

Yes that sounds like a great idea!

Very nice idea. I'm with it 100%

Thank you.

This idea has been brought up before (see the tagged thread on the bottom) and I still think it's the best way to handle getting additional TMs. Using the Horsea example:

Someone hunting for a good Horsea to train can trade off any extra Water Pulses or Dragon Scales that they find.

Someone hunting for Dragon Scales can trade off Water Pulses or a good Horsea they find.

Someone hunting TMs can trade off Dragon Scales or a good Horsea they find.

I love this post and this suggestion.

It's something different and gives people more things to do. The fact that it also creates a new market within trades makes me a happy camper too

Continued on, hit Staryu and realized that there aren't enough fire types available to cover the fire type TMs and an abundance of water types for two water TMs, as rediculous as it sounds, "solving" the issue by giving some pokes that have no reason for the Fire type TMs to have them for rough draft.

Ultimately not proud of the solution though.

EDIT:

Made it publicly viewable via Google Docs, Can be viewed publicly but not edited, please leave feedback and inform me of any changes that could be made that would be more sensible, such as removing pokes that don't have a hold item AT ALL from the list entirely. (Roughdraft version is just to show that these are the only actively obtainable pokemon in the wild

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmfXqI2KjpUFdEtmVnhDMlZfU3dqY3VKRlJtSTBSRmc

Continued on, hit Staryu and realized that there aren't enough fire types available to cover the fire type TMs and an abundance of water types for two water TMs, as rediculous as it sounds, "solving" the issue by giving some pokes that have no reason for the Fire type TMs to have them for rough draft.

Ultimately not proud of the solution though.

EDIT:

Made it publicly viewable via Google Docs, Can be viewed publicly but not edited, please leave feedback and inform me of any changes that could be made that would be more sensible, such as removing pokes that don't have a hold item AT ALL from the list entirely. (Roughdraft version is just to show that these are the only actively obtainable pokemon in the wild

Link: https://docs.google....Y3VKRlJtSTBSRmc

I like it, maybe Growleth could have 1% for 2 separate TMs or something?