Suggestion: Review the pokémons, locations, encounter rates, gap between swarms and duration of swarms.

Introduction: Implement the pokémon outbreaks are a good idea, being a way to introduce unavailable pokémons. But right now they are not interesting because of the difficult. The lack of information is the main cause. If the player does not know when a swarm happens, the encounter rate and the duration, he will be just frustrated.

A feature useful like that must be used with all its potential. If it is not reviewed, the players will lose the interest fast, like happened with Altering Cave and the Night Cycles. 

Explanation:  

1. Pokémons

Pokémon outbreaks (Japanese: 大量発生 mass outbreak), also known as swarms or mass outbreaks, are a feature introduced in Generation II that allows the player to catch Pokémon that are usually rare or otherwise unobtainable. (Source: Bulbapedia)

This is the original concept of the swarms. Grimer, Ponyta, Donphan, Linoone, Tangela, Haunter and Slugma are not rare or unobtainable in PokeMMO, so there is no reason to waste a swarm round with these pokémons.

The swarming pokémons should be the only available in Safari Zone, Altering Cave, Johto and Hoenn regions and with low encounter rate in Kanto. This way the players can have access to rare pokémons, motivating them to follow the swarms. Some of the pokémons does not need egg moves in the competitive scenario, so the players could have the chance to catch the pokémons in the wild, not losing the interest in the swarms. 

A list of recommended pokémons:

[spoiler]

Bulbasaur
Charmander

Squirtle

Farfetch'd

Lickitung

Chansey

Kangaskhan

Mr. Mime

Scyther

Jynx

Electabuzz

Magmar

Pinsir

Tauros

Snorlax

Chinchou

Togepi

Aipom

Murkrow

Misdreavus

Girafarig

Shuckle

Sneasel

Teddiursa

Mantine

Stantler

Smeargle

Tyrogue

Poochyena

Lotad

Slakoth

Sableye

Mawile

Aron

Plusle

Minun

Roselia

Gulpin

Carvanha

Spoink

Spinda

Cacnea

Baltoy

Feebas

Shuppet

Duskull

Snorunt

Spheal

Relicanth

[/spoiler]

Obviously I am not aware what the devs are planning for some pokémons, some of them can't be implemented for some reason.

2. Locations

Most of the locations chosen for the swarming pokémons fits with their habitat, but some of them are strange, so I would like recommend new locations. And, of course, recommend the locations for the pokémons not implemented in the swarms yet.

a. Changing locations

[spoiler]

Bulbasaur: Pattern Bush >>> Viridian Forest. All the pokémons in the Pattern Bush are Bug types. It is more proper put Bulbasaur in Viridian Forest alongside Roselia or other location.

Squirtle: Water Path >>> Route 25. According the pokédex, Squirtle likes lakes instead sea.

Kangaskhan: Rock Tunnel >>> Route 23. According the pokédex, Kangaskhan doesn't live in caves, she likes plains and grass. 

Mr. Mime: Route 21 >>> Route 7 or 16. According the pokédex, Mr. Mime likes towns and cities, so it is a urban pokémon. Route 16 is near Celadon and Route 7 is between Celadon and Saffron, two big cities.

Girafarig: Seavault Canyon >>> Safari Zone. In the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald versions Girafarig can be encountered in Safari Zone. Seavault Canyon is not a bad location, but Safari Zone would be more proper.

Sableye: Route 9 >>> Lost Cave. "SABLEYE lead quiet lives deep inside caverns. They are feared, however, because these POKéMON are thought to steal the spirits of people when their eyes burn with a sinister glow in the darkness."

Mawile: Route 9 >>> Rock Tunnel. According the pokédex, Mawile doesn't live in grass, it likes caves. 

Minun & Plusle: Route 2 & 3 >>> Power Plant. "It cheers on partners while scattering sparks from its body. It climbs telephone poles to absorb electricity."

[/spoiler]

b. New locations

I will continue this part later, there are a lot of recommended pokémons not implemented in the swarm. Feel free to suggest a proper location for a pokémon in the list.

[spoiler]

Lickitung: Berry Forest alongside Snorlax. They are both fat normal-types and seems appreciate berries.

Chansey: Route 7, 8 or 16. Chansey likes towns and cities, and these routes are between cities.

Scyther: Pattern Bush or Viridian Forest.

Pinsir: Pattern Bush or Viridian Forest.

Tauros: Seavault Canyon. 

Lapras: Icefall Cave or Seafom Island. 

Eevee: I didn't find so much informations about Eevee, so I will just recommend Route 7, 8 or 16, because it likes towns and cities.

Porygon: Power Plant.

Dratini: Cape Brink fishing. Dratini likes lakes.

[to be continued]

[/spoiler]

3. Encounter rates, gap between swarms, duration of the swarms

The players don't have access to the official informations about the swarms so far, so I don't know if these aspects are standardized. If they aren't, they should be. The game has a lot of RNG already and fluctuating values will ruin the feature.

An example:

• Encounter rates: 30%;
  • Gap: 12 hours;
  • Duration: 30 minutes.

Don't need to be these values, but it is more beneficial if they are solid values. Except the gap, it really should be above 12h, because the players always lose a swarm with a gap of 4h~6h. It can be balanced with more duration or encounter rate.  

In Altering Cave the player have access to all the pokémons, because the cycles last for hours and there are just 8 cycles and there is no gap. In the Swarms, we can't follow all of them if they happens each 6 hours. If the gap and duration is doubled, the swarms can affect all the players of different time zones.

4. Content

Information gathered about swarms by players

Players interest in having solid informations

I like the encounter rate and location changes, but it's been stated by upper staff that new Pokemon (Which you have an abuncance of on your list) will be scarce, as they want to save something for a new region.

New Pokemon aside, some of the Pokemon you listed would be trashed in terms of value (Eevee, Chansey, Porygon, Bagon, etc etc), and could cause a massive imbalance in the market (Lucky Eggs will also lose most of their remaining value).

a. Changing locations

[spoiler]

Bulbasaur: Pattern Bush >>> Viridian Forest. All the pokémons in the Pattern Bush are Bug types. It is more proper put Bulbasaur in Viridian Forest alongside Roselia or other location.

Squirtle: Water Path >>> Route 25. According the pokédex, Squirtle likes lakes instead sea.

Kangaskhan: Rock Tunnel >>> Route 23. According the pokédex, Kangaskhan doesn't live in caves, she likes plains and grass. 

Mr. Mime: Route 21 >>> Route 7 or 16. According the pokédex, Mr. Mime likes towns and cities, so it is a urban pokémon. Route 16 is near Celadon and Route 7 is between Celadon and Saffron, two big cities.

Girafarig: Seavault Canyon >>> Safari Zone. In the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald versions Girafarig can be encountered in Safari Zone. Seavault Canyon is not a bad location, but Safari Zone would be more proper.

Sableye: Route 9 >>> Lost Cave. "SABLEYE lead quiet lives deep inside caverns. They are feared, however, because these POKéMON are thought to steal the spirits of people when their eyes burn with a sinister glow in the darkness."

Mawile: Route 9 >>> Rock Tunnel. According the pokédex, Mawile doesn't live in grass, it likes caves. 

Minun & Plusle: Route 2 & 3 >>> Power Plant. "It cheers on partners while scattering sparks from its body. It climbs telephone poles to absorb electricity."

[/spoiler]

Don't try to make sense of where they put things, I'm still mad about Caterpie coming out at night.

Electabuzz, magmar and lapras are already in the wild; I know the encounter rate sux, but swarm of those is kinda meh 

[spoiler]

well, lapras should be ok cuz that fella does not need egg moves

[/spoiler]

I like the encounter rate and location changes, but it's been stated by upper staff that new Pokemon (Which you have an abuncance of on your list) will be scarce, as they want to save something for a new region.

New Pokemon aside, some of the Pokemon you listed would be trashed in terms of value (Eevee, Chansey, Porygon, Snorlax, Bagon, etc etc), and could cause a massive imbalance in the market (Lucky Eggs will also lose most of their remaining value).

snorlax swarms already happen.

If I am not mistaken every location for every Pokemon that swarms was decided upon because of something else, meaning there was a basis for each location that was picked. You can imply other basis for swarm locations elsewhere, I am sure, but I am pretty positive each has meaning/reason behind it. 

I think that swarms need to repeat/be tracked more in game before the community is confident with predicting them and making use of them. This is true of any mechanic that is implemented without a guide/explanation. This one is taking longer because it's much more extensive than the Night Cycles or Altering Cave. 

I think you're proposing changes to be made to the Pokemon species, the locations, the frequency and durations of Swarms, but you have not considered that effort went into picking those Pokemon and their locations already, they are not just randomized. The staff has already stated they don't wish to implement a ton of Pokemon into the game until new regions have started construction, so I think the community was fortunate to receive two new Pokemon via swarms. 

Overall I feel as though you're proposing a rework but you don't explain why each change is necessary, what are the benefits to this? Keep in mind that flooding the game with new Pokemon is not an option and as far as I can tell you're just asking for more Pokemon, and small changes in duration (plus ten minutes).

You have also stated this is to keep swarms interesting, but you have failed to realize that adding these Pokemon will spark interest in Swarms only temporarily too. 

New Pokemon aside, some of the Pokemon you listed would be trashed in terms of value (Eevee, Chansey, Porygon, Snorlax, Bagon, etc etc), and could cause a massive imbalance in the market (Lucky Eggs will also lose most of their remaining value).

I know they won't put all the pokémons I suggested. I said "Obviously I am not aware what the devs are planning for some pokémons, some of them can't be implemented for some reason".

But even if the new pokémons are scarce, we can think in a proper location for them, doesn't hurt at all. 

Snorlax swarm already happens, so I am assuming they are not worried about values.

And I didn't used the market point of view, I just listed the rare pokémons that could be implemented in the swarms.

Don't try to make sense of where they put things, I'm still mad about Caterpie coming out at night.

Lol, I think Poochyena is more proper, but it is other discussion and suggestion. :P 

If I am not mistaken every location for every Pokemon that swarms was decided upon because of something else, meaning there was a basis for each location that was picked. You can imply other basis for swarm locations elsewhere, I am sure, but I am pretty positive each has meaning/reason behind it. 

I think that swarms need to repeat/be tracked more in game before the community is confident with predicting them and making use of them. This is true of any mechanic that is implemented without a guide/explanation. This one is taking longer because it's much more extensive than the Night Cycles or Altering Cave. 

I think you're proposing changes to be made to the Pokemon species, the locations, the frequency and durations of Swarms, but you have not considered that effort went into picking those Pokemon and their locations already, they are not just randomized. The staff has already stated they don't wish to implement a ton of Pokemon into the game until new regions have started construction, so I think the community was fortunate to receive two new Pokemon via swarms. 

Overall I feel as though you're proposing a rework but you don't explain why each change is necessary, what are the benefits to this? Keep in mind that flooding the game with new Pokemon is not an option and as far as I can tell you're just asking for more Pokemon, and small changes in duration (plus ten minutes).

You have also stated this is to keep swarms interesting, but you have failed to realize that adding these Pokemon will spark interest in Swarms only temporarily too. 

I am considering the effort of the devs, but I don't know the reasons behind each pokémon and location, so I reunited all the possible pokémons in swarms. The suggestion is open to change and discussions, if the community disagree with some pokémons I can easily remove of the list, because there is a reason posted here and explained.

What you mean with each change? Do you wanna the explanation of each pokémon or each item?

the swarm thread is depressing as hell, people sitting around on a computer playing a game where they sit around watching a pixelated tv. the devs should just come out and tell us the swarm patterns like they did alt cave.

They didn't, though (well not officially, it was leaked by someone)

the swarm thread is depressing as hell, people sitting around on a computer playing a game where they sit around watching a pixelated tv. the devs should just come out and tell us the swarm patterns like they did alt cave.

there seems to be no pattern at all, most likely time basis 5h +/- rng; been gathering data for 2 weeks and no way to exactly predict em .-.

[spoiler]

unless my swarm sources are worng

[/spoiler]

This is pretty much my biggest problem as far as the swarms go. They really need to give some better way as to how we find out when they happen, because checking the TV randomly is kinda bullshit.

Also yeah, the shitty swarms like grimer and tangela are really just a waste of time. Spend hours in front of a TV, find out the swarm is some super gay shit like grimer, go cry for 5 hours.

Overall I feel as though you're proposing a rework but you don't explain why each change is necessary, what are the benefits to this? 

Just realized the swarms are not necessary too. We could just play the game without them and still have the access for the pokémons and expect the New Region. My suggestion, therefore, is not necessary. But could be beneficial for the players. If I did not explain it well, I will edit and try again.

Also, I removed the new pokémons in the list, too much controversy around them and I failed to explain they don't need to be implemented to make the swarms more interesting.

A feature useful like that must be used with all its potential. If it is not reviewed, the players will lose the interest fast, like happened with Altering Cave and the Night Cycles. 

Explanation:  

1. Pokémons

This is the original concept of the swarms. Grimer, Ponyta, Donphan, Linoone, Tangela, Haunter and Slugma are not rare or unobtainable in PokeMMO, so there is no reason to waste a swarm round with these pokémons.

The swarming pokémons should be the only available in Safari Zone, Altering Cave, Johto and Hoenn regions and with low encounter rate in Kanto.

A list of recommended pokémons:

[spoiler]

Bulbasaur
Charmander

Squirtle

Farfetch'd

Lickitung

Chansey

Kangaskhan

Mr. Mime

Scyther

Jynx

Electabuzz

Magmar

Pinsir

Tauros

Lapras

Eevee

Porygon

Snorlax

Dratini

Chinchou

Togepi

Aipom

Murkrow

Misdreavus

Girafarig

Shuckle

Sneasel

Teddiursa

Mantine

Stantler

Smeargle

Tyrogue

Poochyena

Lotad

Slakoth

Sableye

Mawile

Aron

Plusle

Minun

Roselia

Gulpin

Carvanha

Spoink

Spinda

Cacnea

Baltoy

Feebas

Shuppet

Duskull

Snorunt

Spheal

Relicanth

Bagon

[/spoiler]

At this time were not interested in implementing any new Pokemon, the point of swarms is, as you say - is to make rare Pokemon easier to obtain.

Which is exactly what our swarms do, it takes relatively valuable Pokemon within PokeMMO, and places them in different canon locations (Let's take Magmar for example, who is fairly hard to find and is placed in Cinnabar Mansion which is it's location in the original Pokemon Blue).

Aside from perhaps Linoone (Which is an official swarm Pokemon in Kanto) and Grimer and Tangela (Both of which are swarms in the way that Cycle 4 in Altering Cave is a Zubat Cycle) which are also placed in locations based on the original games.

a. Changing locations

Charmander was placed in Mt.Ember due to it being the only fitting Location for it, and also allowing Starter Pokemon to be obtained in the wild in the end-game.

This is so that they could be tied into breeding, and to prevent newer players from obtaining all 3 at the start of the game.

Bulbasaur was placed in Pattern Bush, based on the Locations it is seen in the anime and the side games.

i.e Hidden Village.

Pattern Bush was the most fitting place to match Charmander due it being similar to the Hidden Village and a forest without placing it inside Berry Forest, where the Snorlax Swarm is.

For this same reason, Squirtle was placed in Water Path, it's end game, matches name-wise to the other two, and is effectively a lake between Green Path and Ruin Valley.

According to G/S/C and HG/SS, Kangaskhan lives in Rock Tunnel; http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rock_Tunnel

According to G/S/C and HG/SS Mr.Mime lives in Route 21; http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kanto_Route_21

Girafarig is indeed encountered in the Safari Zone is R/S/E, but in comparison to Kanto, the Safari Zone is an entirely different environment.

Additionally, "Girafarig lives in wide-open plains, where it feeds on the plant life.", it is also found on Route 43 in G/S/C and HG/SS;

[spoiler] Johto_Route_43_HGSS.png [/spoiler]

Which is similar to Sevault Canyon, it also keeps it Post-game with the rest of the Johto Pokemon.

According to HG/SS Swarm data, Sableye and Mawile are found on Route 9; http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kanto_Route_9

Minun and Plusle were placed in Route 10 because it reflects upon their placement within Hoenn, where they are found on Route 110, which is just outside Hoenn's 'Power Plant' 'New Mauville'.

b. New locations

I will continue this part later, there are a lot of recommended pokémons not implemented in the swarm. Feel free to suggest a proper location for a pokémon in the list.

[spoiler]

Lickitung: Berry Forest alongside Snorlax. They are both fat normal-types and seems appreciate berries.

Chansey: Route 7, 8 or 16. Chansey likes towns and cities, and these routes are between cities.

Scyther: Pattern Bush or Viridian Forest.

Pinsir: Pattern Bush or Viridian Forest.

Tauros: Seavault Canyon. 

Lapras: Icefall Cave or Seafom Island. 

Eevee: I didn't find so much informations about Eevee, so I will just recommend Route 7, 8 or 16, because it likes towns and cities.

Porygon: Power Plant.

Dratini: Cape Brink fishing. Dratini likes lakes.

[to be continued]

[/spoiler]

A Lickitung Swarm exists in the Safari Zone, which again, is based on a canon location in the Japanese version of Blue;

Lickitung_Safari.png

Lapras and Eevee are already fairly valuable, and I don't want to stamp on that value any further. - Lapras already has a 1% encounter rate in Icefall Cave outside of its storyline counterpart.

Eevee is actually only wild in Unova and Kalos, it has never been wild in any other region.

Bagon in my opinion, does not fit into the Kanto swarm table at all, and will get a better encounter rate whenever we reach Hoenn.

I wanted to do a Chansey swarm, but could not do so without extra held item support, as without it swarm Chanseys could hold lucky eggs (Which would heavily decrease its value.)

Porygon is only obtained through the Game Corner, and I do not want to take away its value either.

Dratini is considered valuable, with it getting a better encounter rate in Johto.

Tauros I wouldn't be against, adding in, although just wasn't included.

The idea of swarms is not necessarily implementing new Pokemon, but to give players a better chance at catching those that are hard to find.

Baltoy and Gulpin were selected for their canonical swarm data, and due to them both considered to be improvements to the games existing meta.

All swarm Pokemon and encounter rates were carefully selected using a particular way of choosing and were based on canonical information.

It is good having a feedback and explanation of doubts. Thank you. DarkShade.

I removed all the suggested locations that you explained the reasons. I used just a pokédex in Serebii and forgot about the data in Bulbapedia.

The Water Path is not a lake because you can encounter Tentacool there.

I didn't remember about Lickitung, sorry.

According to the Swarm thread, Plusle and Minun aren't in Route 10, at least in the swarms.

I removed the pokémons you explained why they shouldn't be implemented.

It is good having a feedback and explanation of doubts. Thank you. DarkShade.

I removed all the suggested locations that you explained the reasons. I used just a pokédex in Serebii and forgot about the data in Bulbapedia.

The Water Path is not a lake because you can encounter Tentacool there.

I didn't remember about Lickitung, sorry.

According to the Swarm thread, Plusle and Minun aren't in Route 10, at least in the swarms.

I removed the pokémons you explained why they shouldn't be implemented.

No problem.

**Plusle and Minun are placed in their respective locations in accordance to the Pokemon Music Channel Hoenn Sound data in HG/SS

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Music_Channel#Hoenn_Sound

I was thinking of the Spring event, where they were placed on Route 10 for the above reason.

As for Water Path, I could agree, but there are very few lakes in Kanto, and even less in the Sevii Islands, Squirtle families are also seen in seas (Notably in the Orange Archipelago, I would imagine due to the warm climate, which the Sevii Islands share).

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

The idea of swarms is not necessarily implementing new Pokemon, but to give players a better chance at catching those that are hard to find.

Why do Grimer and Tangela swarms exist?

I don't think I'd say Grimer or Tangela are really hard to find.

Why do Grimer and Tangela swarms exist?

I don't think I'd say Grimer or Tangela are really hard to find.

Aside from perhaps Linoone (Which is an official swarm Pokemon in Kanto) and Grimer and Tangela (Both of which are swarms in the way that Cycle 4 in Altering Cave is a Zubat Cycle) which are also placed in locations based on the original games.

In other words, primarily for a few swarms that aren't to be considered amazing, and to include a few more Pokemon in previous game locations.

You never know, somebody might be after a really good Muk.

No problem.

**Plusle and Minun are placed in their respective locations in accordance to the Pokemon Music Channel Hoenn Sound data in HG/SS

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Music_Channel#Hoenn_Sound

I was thinking of the Spring event, where they were placed on Route 10 for the above reason.

As for Water Path, I could agree, but there are very few lakes in Kanto, and even less in the Sevii Islands, Squirtle families are also seen in seas (Notably in the Orange Archipelago, I would imagine due to the warm climate, which the Sevii Islands share).

Well, I won't suggest the locations anymore, you seems have a good reason for each location.

But about the pokémons, is possible replace the Cycle-4-Zubats (Tangela, Grimer, etc) of the swarms for the pokémons contained in the list? The Altering Cave happens all the time and need a break, but the swarms already have a gap.

The encounter rates was chosen carefully, according you, but and about the gaps and the duration? They could be standartized, like the Altering Cave Cycles and the Night Cycle? Or they are already? In the Swarm thread there are controversy about this.

In other words, primarily for a few swarms that aren't to be considered amazing, and to include a few more Pokemon in previous game locations.

You never know, somebody might be after a really good Muk.

But this is a little more annoying than the Zubat cycle even. Zubat cycle is a good waste of about 6 hours in a day, where as these swarms waste at least 10 hours of time individually (pray to god they never come in a row) with the time leading up to it, then the time after it that you have to wait for another real swarm.

And if someone wants a competitive Muk cinnibar mansion is a very viable place to go for Grimer/Muk. Probably has a higher encounter rate there than in a swarm too.

Probably has a higher encounter rate there than in a swarm too.

I took that into account when giving it a percentage and the swarm is higher.

However, it likely is more annoying, but usually the swarm reward is greater in some cases.

Swarm time may be reconsidered in the future, as for now, its only 2/a lot of swarms.

Ok, now the suggestion resumes in two changes:

1. Replace the common pokémons in the swarms for rare ones;

[spoiler] 

Explanation: 

The swarming pokémons should be the only available in Safari Zone, Altering Cave, Johto and Hoenn regions and with low encounter rate in Kanto. This way the players can have access to rare pokémons, motivating them to follow the swarms. Some of the pokémons does not need egg moves in the competitive scenario, so the players could have the chance to catch the pokémons in the wild, not losing the interest in the swarms.
[/spoiler]

2. Increase the gap between the swarms and the duration of them.

[spoiler]

Explanation:

In Altering Cave the player have access to all the pokémons, because the cycles last for hours and there are just 8 cycles and there is no gap. In the Swarms, we can't follow all of them if they happens each 6 hours. If the gap and duration is doubled, the swarms can affect all the players of different time zones.
[/spoiler]