Gender Changing Pill

FlareBlitzz

Question

Don't you just hate it when you're on your final breed and press the wrong Gender? With the introduction of Shiny Breeding, it becomes all the more inconvenient for players with Male Rare Shinies to be able to breed their shinies due to the limited number of Shiny Dittos available.

With the use of Gender Changing Pill, which should work similar to the Ability Pill, the problem of ruining a breed due to choosing a wrong nature can be fixed, and it also decreases our reliance on Shiny Dittos in order to breed shinys.

There can be some exceptions such as Nidoran family and so in which changing gender changes the species.

Discuss.

18 answers to this question

There are also canonical cases where a pokemon's gender can change I believe.

It sometimes happens with Azuril when it evolves into Marill, because they both have different gender ratios and it does something causing gender to switch sometimes. I might be wrong on that though, but I'm pretty sure I've read about it happening. please correct me otherwise.

Either way, I support this because not only does it allow for corrections, but it can be used to overcome the issue with Shiny OT breeding in the newest update.

If this was implemented, in order to be balanced possibly a non-shiny pill and a shiny-only pill could be implemented at different prices for balance. I think that would be a good solution

Don't you just hate it when you're on your final breed and press the wrong Gender? With the introduction of Shiny Breeding, it becomes all the more inconvenient for players with Male Rare Shinies to be able to breed their shinies due to the limited number of Shiny Dittos available.

With the use of Gender Changing Pill, which should work similar to the Ability Pill, the problem of ruining a breed due to choosing a wrong nature can be fixed, and it also decreases our reliance on Shiny Dittos in order to breed shinys.

There can be some exceptions such as Nidoran family and so in which changing gender changes the species.

Discuss.

A gender changing pill would be particularly overpowered.

Whilst Shiny Breeding has a lot of focus on gender, this rather 'small' feature as far as the context of the rest of the game is concerned is not worth undermining the current balance.

I certainly don't think this is the right way to address this.

There are also canonical cases where a pokemon's gender can change I believe.

It sometimes happens with Azuril when it evolves into Marill, because they both have different gender ratios and it does something causing gender to switch sometimes. I might be wrong on that though, but I'm pretty sure I've read about it happening. please correct me otherwise.

That is the only canonical case, and it was fixed in generation VI.

We also implemented this fix.

A gender changing pill would be particularly overpowered.

I certainly don't think this is the right way to address this.

Can you please explain why this would be overpowered? Asking because I literally do not understand the potential negative connotations of it.

Also, are you saying that shiny breeding OT gender issues are a recognized problem? If so, that is nice to hear since it means I'm not crazy.

Can you please explain why this would be overpowered? Asking because I literally do not understand the potential negative connotations of it.

Gender becomes barely relevant at all - you can pick up either gender and just change one over to be the gender you'd like and then breed them.

Less things are sunk into the system because no sinking is taking place to switch a gender over via the DayCare.

Pink blob becomes far less potent as it's no longer required to change a gender.

Less are farmed, their value drops making catching them as a money making method less worthwhile - less are also sunk.

The value is now entirely determined by a species, except the value of a female will be the new 'standard' species value + the cost of a gender pill.

tl;dr: a lot less things are sunk into the system and value tied to gender and/or pink blobs go right out the window.

Which in my opinion is nowhere near worth it for something as small as Shiny Breeding and would be a real shame in general.

Gender becomes barely relevant at all - you can pick up either gender and just change one over to be the gender you'd like and then breed them.

Less things are sunk into the system because no sinking is taking place to switch a gender over via the DayCare.

Pink blob becomes far less potent as it's no longer required to change a gender.

Less are farmed, their value drops making catching them as a money making method less worthwhile - less are also sunk.

The value is now entirely determined by a species, except the value of a female will be the new 'standard' species value + the cost of a gender pill.

tl;dr: a lot less things are sunk into the system and value tied to gender and/or pink blobs go right out the window.

Which in my opinion is nowhere near worth it for something as small as Shiny Breeding and would be a real shame in general.

In that case a 'Shiny Gender Changing Pill' could be the solution because of the limited number of Shiny Dittos available causing a barrier in Shiny Breeding if the Shiny one has is Male.

Do u see gender pill irl? Then why would that make sense on Pokemon? Just double check before u breed

People make mistakes, this is an undeniable fact.
Also this has relevance outside of "Mistakes" in shiny breeding.

Also this is a pokemon game, You see pokemon IRL? why would that make sense in Pokemmo?

They went with giving you "Unknown OT" instead of your OT for a pokemon you grinded to breed because the female was bought off gtl. 

And suddenly OTs are a thing now.

It is definitely not a big deal, If I was given a non-OT 6x31 natured poke I would use it, however, I am a stupid person who likes to get sentimentally attached to my achievements such as breeding my 5x31 natured feebas in preparation for milotic *cough*, And the fact that I can say "I made this and it is mine" feels nice because to me it is part of the validation of completing the whole breeding process. the other part is winning with the pokemon.