Link Grinding

Otulp

Question

Pls dont hurt me if this has been suggested already. I think it would be cool to expand upon the link/group function we have in making it usable outside frontier. For example, if player A and player B link up and want to ev train together, they first must link (obviously), and then one player, lets say player A, must activate sweet scent to engage in a horde battle. But before the battle begins player B receives a notification that "player A has entered into a fight! Join?" "Yes/No" or something along those lines. So:

Pros: Adds a group function outside frontier, can ev grind together.

Cons: No idea if this is even codeable, can be exploited i guess.

10 answers to this question

I've always liked the idea of using 'link' as a standard mmo 'party', where you get a bit of bonus exp but it's split among link members, provided you're on the same map.

That said, the promot is probably annoying. Especially if you're in a link, it's expected you want to battle together. I'm not sure if I like the concept of actual link battles outside of pvp, though.

I've been toying with this idea in my head and planned to assess how possible it would be.

It's difficult to decide how such a thing would work and whether it would be viable - My current thought process is that it might be if wild battles were shared if you were within a certain amount of tiles from each other.

Purely theorizing at this point though and we've had no developmental discussion about this subject at all.

48 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

I've been toying with this idea in my head and planned to assess how possible it would be.

It's difficult to decide how such a thing would work and whether it would be viable - My current thought process is that it might be if wild battles were shared if you were within a certain amount of tiles from each other.

Purely theorizing at this point though and we've had no developmental discussion about this subject at all.

EV gains shared would be interesting, giving it to the first pokemon in the party of your link buddy aswell as any EXP share carriers they have could be interesting.

Promotes socializing and removes some of the grind. I would support a change like that.

A few tiles away sounds fine, but is there much of a reason to disable it being shared in one whole route instead since they share the encounter rates?

1 minute ago, Matoka said:

EV gains shared would be interesting, giving it to the first pokemon in the party of your link buddy aswell as any EXP share carriers they have could be interesting.

Promotes socializing and removes some of the grind. I would support a change like that.

A few tiles away sounds fine, but is there much of a reason to disable it being shared in one whole route instead since they share the encounter rates?

Just that it would make more sense visually.

I think it would be pretty weird to get into a shared encounter when you're unable to even see the player you're in a party with.

'a few tiles' doesn't mean three by the way, I just mean 'within enough of a range to be able to see what's going on'.

53 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

and lets say someone link up and gets in a battle in the wild, pls dont make it so that the evs gets split between teh two players, and give both players 100% of the evs

10 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Just that it would make more sense visually.

I think it would be pretty weird to get into a shared encounter when you're unable to even see the player you're in a party with.

'a few tiles' doesn't mean three by the way, I just mean 'within enough of a range to be able to see what's going on'.

Yea, your way does make more sense, Doesn't whether or not you can hear someone's /normal chat work on whether you can see them on screen? (correct me if i'm wrong) could you possibly repurpose what checks to see if they can see the /normal message and use that to check if they are able to receive shared EVs? 

having this implemented sounds fun so i'm interested to see what happens to this idea in the future.

2 hours ago, Eggplant said:

I've always liked the idea of using 'link' as a standard mmo 'party'

expanding on this.

A party may even be of more than 2 players. As dungeons have been in talks since 1857 BC, we could have a group raid system coming up to give firered online a more MMO like feel.

6 minutes ago, Bishav said:

expanding on this.

A party may even be of more than 2 players. As dungeons have been in talks since 1857 BC, we could have a group raid system coming up to give firered online a more MMO like feel.

Oh, please yes.

And finally introduce Tag-Team battling, people would go through the dungeon in a pair and fight wild pokemon that appear in pairs too, similar to when being followed by an NPC in the 4th gen games.

Although, what would they do about the legendary poke tho, fighting two of them at once would be... weird, and you can't catch it unless it's alone.

Perhaps a scripted "Oh no! you got seperated from your partner! and vice versa! Oh look the legendary pokemon! psssh, what are you talking about, your partner isn't fighting it at this very moment at the same time you are, with that same generated pokemon, after all there's only /one/ legendary pokemon of each kind..."

Oh, also, Darkshade, offtopic, you guys should make a dungeon design contest, it would be fun.

Edited by Matoka
4 hours ago, Darkshade said:

Yeah agreed, anyways thanks for the input darkshade, really excited for any mmo party we can get in pokemmo :)