Long time Pokemon fan, competitive newbie

Hey guys, I'm DStax! Haven't played Pokemon in probably 6-8 years (haven't played diamond/pearl and anything afterwards). Picked up Pokemmo a month ago because I could play it at work and wow there's so much. Going through Kanto and Hoenn again I did not remember the game being that difficult lol. Not to mention all the new looking pokemon in Unova (Sandile looks like a monster from Maplestory). 

Anyways, I've never tried competitive pokemon before so I think I am going to spend some time here working on that. Any tips or suggestions would be great. Will be excited to see you out and about in the world.

Cheers

4 hours ago, DStax said:

Hey guys, I'm DStax! Haven't played Pokemon in probably 6-8 years (haven't played diamond/pearl and anything afterwards). Picked up Pokemmo a month ago because I could play it at work and wow there's so much. Going through Kanto and Hoenn again I did not remember the game being that difficult lol. Not to mention all the new looking pokemon in Unova (Sandile looks like a monster from Maplestory). 

Anyways, I've never tried competitive pokemon before so I think I am going to spend some time here working on that. Any tips or suggestions would be great. Will be excited to see you out and about in the world.

Cheers

Welcome to PokeMMO DStax, I hope you enjoy your experience. For any competitive related questions, I would encourage you to visit the Competitive Assistance section of the forums.

Welcome. I've always thought "just jump into the battle, see what beats you and adjust accordingly" is the best way to learn the competitive gameplay but since this game requires to invest some resources to be actually able to play competitively, I have a guide for the standard movesets of the OU Pokemon to get started. Building a team is a difficult task no one can fully master but I recommend to decide by your own 1-3 Pokemon you wanna use and ask people for feedback to patch up any holes in your team.

10 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Welcome. I've always thought "just jump into the battle, see what beats you and adjust accordingly" is the best way to learn the competitive gameplay but since this game requires to invest some resources to be actually able to play competitively, I have a guide for the standard movesets of the OU Pokemon to get started. Building a team is a difficult task no one can fully master but I recommend to decide by your own 1-3 Pokemon you wanna use and ask people for feedback to patch up any holes in your team.

Thanks a lot! Actually, I've crept through that guide to figure out the movesets that would help my the team I'm building. It's very useful! I appreciate the time you took to write that.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time and your stay in PokeMMO! As OrangeManiac said, losing and learning is the best way tbh, no matter how prepared you are, but it would initially help to watch some tournaments in game to see what people use, how they use them and what decisions they make. If you want, my team has some great competitive players and I'm sure we'd all love to help you with teambuilds and practice, as well as how to efficiently farm money postgame. Feel free to message me here, on discord (Dibz!#7637) or in game and I'd be more than happy to help, or guide you to some good resources in this game's mechanics. The Guide Tavern and FAQ thread have some good resources and info as well if you wanna check those out! Good luck, have fun and may your RNG not suck!!!