What does it take to make a "good" perish song team?

2 hours ago, AtomBombBaby said:

Greetings! I was thinking about building a Perish song/trap team and there's not much info around on how to do it (in a serious manner) on Pokemmo. What would you do? What would you think about when building the team? Is it actually viable or would i be shooting myself in the foot? 

There is not too much info because Perish Trap is a bit gimmick. Not fully useless because depending of what you trap(for example you trap a Chansey on a team that has no other mon besides it to counter volca, and kills it, if you had volca your opponent can just forfeit.) you can win matches. But since Teleport, U-turn and other ways of pivoting are very common, this make the strat far less effective. It's a semi-viable strat: Not fully useless but it's very hard to make it get going.

I don't recommend you using perish trap teams, if are going to use, use at best one mon, and think on two things:
- What mon i would trap with this strat?
- What mons can switch if i sucessfully kill my target?

For example, your perish trapper can get rid of a Chansey. So you want to bring something that hits hard on special side, volcarona, starmie, serperior, to be enabled once chansey falls.

Out of all tiers, i think Never Used and the unofficial format of untiered, are the ones with better results to perish trappers because there are far less pivoting than UU and OU.

Edited by caioxlive13
4 hours ago, AtomBombBaby said:

Greetings! I was thinking about building a Perish song/trap team and there's not much info around on how to do it (in a serious manner) on Pokemmo. What would you do? What would you think about when building the team? Is it actually viable or would i be shooting myself in the foot? 

Hi Atom! Firstly, I assume you mean for dubs, because perish/trap would fundamentally not work in a singles format where you'd be better off using an arena trap / magnet pull mon. 

In terms on dubs, it is still gimmicky and I wouldn't recommend building a perish/trap team. It works better in a VGC format because trapping 2/4 of your opponents mons is a lot more worthwhile than trapping 2/6 in the mmo ruleset. dubs also has a smaller pool of players you would face, a lot who are very experienced and I feel like you'd have a hard time pulling the strat off well enough to win, especially consistently. 

If you did want to give it a go, you would need to include a mon to perish, a trapper, fake out users, enough bulk to survive the turns (amoonguss could work) and enough damage to pick off threats to the strat. 

Again, don't invest into it, but if you do, let me know the team because I wish this strat was good lol 

8 hours ago, PolarPallas said:

Hi Atom! Firstly, I assume you mean for dubs, because perish/trap would fundamentally not work in a singles format where you'd be better off using an arena trap / magnet pull mon. 

Singles can work, but is very hard to do so because there is a lot of pivoting moves(also pivot moves bypass AT/Magnet Pull). If he is gonna try to use this on Singles, it's better to do where pivoting is not that common, and NU is where this happens(Before someone says, what mons really used, pivots out thar aren't called Blaziken, Rotom or Eelektross?) because some of main walls(Mantine and Steelix) aren't users of Pivoting moves and can be easily trapped off.

All options mentionned by JJ and Baklava are valid

You could add Perish + Fire Spin Altaria that has been used with some success by Gbwead in lower tiers

However most of these if not all of these do not perform well compared to popular PerishTrap mons in other games/gens. I'm thinking of what Azu was in gen6 with a much better defensive typing and much more viability as a sweeper (making it more threatening) than it currently is in OU & UU.

It also fails to trap in UU because all water checks actually run Water Absorb which ruins the strategy, so it would possibly work in NU but even then Water Absorb is fairly common

In doubles with the Shadow Tag nerf and no access to the ability on Gothitelle it seems a bit complicated...

Edited by TohnR
11 hours ago, TohnR said:

In doubles with the Shadow Tag nerf and no access to the ability on Gothitelle it seems a bit complicated...

Even if have the ability would not work. the ability is nerfed to 3 turns. When perish counts falls to 1, the ability would lose effect and all mons would've been able to switch out.

8 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

Even if have the ability would not work. the ability is nerfed to 3 turns. When perish counts falls to 1, the ability would lose effect and all mons would've been able to switch out.

He quite literally said this. You quoted it.

Edited by drewq