Improve the PVP Statistics Page

Rakhmaninov

PvP Data Collection Poll  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which data would you most like to see collected ?

• Top Moves
    • Usage Data from Top #100 Players
    • Tournament vs Matchmaking Usage Data
    • Common EV Spreads

Question

The PvP Statistics page is one of the most useful data resources in the game for people trying to get into competitive play, or for existing competitive players who need to analyse the metagame.

However, when using the PvP Statistics page, I can't help but feel that the amount of information being displayed is lacking. I expect this is a common feeling for a lot of competitive players.

I suggest that the following data should be collected and displayed on the menu to improve it even further:

Top Moves

image.thumb.png.8e21ca7e24d6739ab18915e7b6d06742.png

Example Taken from Pikalytics.com (VGC 2023 Ranked Statistics)

What moves should a Pokemon have? This is such an important decision for every player to consider, Pikalytics lists it as the most relevant PvP statistic next to stat distribution! 

In my own favourite meta, Doubles, it's really important to know if a Pokemon should use the move Protect, especially for newer players, as they would typically be used to using movesets from the singles format.

Tournament vs Matchmaking Usage Data

image.thumb.png.57d4237f6e2acce73fcde10774b172c4.png

What works well in matchmaking may not work as well in tournament settings. 

This is currently recognized by the fact that usage% is listed as either in matchmaking or tournament, which varies for some Pokemon (e.g Rotom-Heat is currently used in 2% of Doubles matchmaking teams, and 5.56% (nearly 3 times as much) of tournament teams), so it would be beneficial to know the reasons for differences in player choices when preparing for matchmaking or tournaments.

Again, Pikalytics has this option available for all players to see.

Usage Data from Top #100 Matchmaking Players

Usage data from the top players would be a really interesting set of statistics. Again, for the Doubles format, lots of new players are going to be using their OU teams, which means that some popular OU Pokemon are typically ranked higher in usage% than in win% for Doubles (*cough* garchomp *cough*), so a separate set of usage data from the top #100 players may prove to be beneficial for people new to the metagame. It would also be very useful for top players to analyse shifts in the metagame at the highest level of play!

It might even be worth thinking about implementing usage data from the top cuts of Tournaments, too. 

Common EV Spreads

image.png.722325e655c42fb8d019cc119ebb735d.png

Another popular data set, Common EV Spreads are a great way to know how to prioritise stat distribution for pokemon for which it isn't obvious. For example, how many HP EVs should you invest in Rotom-Wash if it only has 50 base HP - but you also want to invest in Speed and Special Attack? Having this information readily available would be really great for players who are learning the metagame.

That's all I can think of for now!

I hope this suggestion can make PokeMMO a much more accessible game to get into competitively for newer players, and for top players to refine their game 🙂 

I'd also love to know your suggestions!

Particularly from the singles format, as I don't have much experience with it, and I'd love to know what would be useful for you!

Thanks,

Rakhmaninov

5 answers to this question

I don't know how this went so under the radar with how good, comprehensive and NECESSARY this suggestion is. We have a somewhat big problem when assessing a lot of PvP decisions regarding bans, movement between tiers and whatnot because the stats page is absolutely flawed and gathers data from everything, from Jimmy with his Relaxed HM slave Dragonite to top elo players. I know it's probably not a top priority, but please do improve the stats page so we can build better teams and learn about PvP in a much more comprehensive way.

I'm down for more information on mons, altho what we have is already great !

But a feature I'd like to see in that situation, would be to prevent any forms of statistics to display if less than (X players & Y matches played) used that mon.

The reasoning is simply that such a feature could be a big negative for people who bring niche undertiered mons to ladder as it risks of leaking their entire EV spread & Moveset on top of their item and nature (which can already be scoutted from statistics)

I also believe that usage data from above 600 elo (UU/NU/Dubs) / above 700 elo (OU) is necessary for tiering decisions and should be used over all usages, but that's a personal opinion

Edited by TohnR