Quick Question about Shiny Hunting....

So I took a hiatus after Halloween, I was shunting Heatmor, I had a tracker on, I had 20k encounters with Heatmor, I came back today and I started shunting Dratini.

With that being done my question would be this....

Will the 20k encounters with Heatmor, carry over to my encounter rate for Dratini since a shiny is 1/30k and I already had 20k non shiny encounters.

Yes and No

Every time you encounter a Pokemon, the odds of it being shiny are 1/30K (1/27K on Donor or Shiny Charm, 1/24K if on Donor + Shiny charm) 

Keeping track of encounters is more of a mind game/theory of probability. 

Probability says if you do 30K encounters, you are more likely to encounter a shiny, but there is no guarantee and the odds do not change. 

Hope this helps! My opinion is the only way to encounter shinys, is by- encountering them! The more pokemon you encounter the more of a chance for one to be shiny- so just keep hunting and one will show up eventually! 

Good luck

I believe it works out to 30k encounters giving a shiny 64% of the time, (binomial distribution yadda, yadda) but you can often land in that bad 36% where you dont get it. For many many encounters, sometimes its  41k or sometimes its 120-150k before you finally "hit" the right number

Its 50/50 really. Its either shiny or it isnt.

What you put into it, is what you get from it

If you get 25k and give up, then sure, it was a "waste" to get nothing

But if you grind to 35k or 48k or whatever is required, then its all worth-while

The best thing to do imo is to stop counting so it doesnt feel so incredibly harsh. 

Best of luck on your future hunts,

SRIF

Great explanations above. 

Sometimes I just tell people to imagine a dice with 30,000 sides/options instead of the usual 6-side dice. Each time you get a Pokémon encounter, you roll the 30,000-sided dice and hope to land on the "shiny" number. Your chances do not increase hitting this number no matter how many times you try.

But the chances of getting the "shiny" number in 30,000 attempts is pretty decent. Keep hunting and you will get it eventually. Best of luck. 🙂

• Enzo locked this topic