A Poor Mans Ditto Catching Guide - No IV/ EV Training Required - Team Build Under 20k - 100% Catch

Hey Angry Gorilla here,

Disclaimer

All prices and figures are of at the time of making the post and results may vary.

The Point of this post is to help out the Little Guy, people who want to be able to Ditto Farm but on a very low budget because they want to and don't have that much Pokeyen Behind them.

There are multiple different ways to do things in Pokemmo we as a community just want to show every possibility. This isn't designed to be "better than" the other methods but to provide another option

Now the beauty of this version is

• That you don't actually have to do much,
  • Its insanely cheap compared to the other versions
  • It doesn't take time to set up, EV training
  • Can purchase everything off the GTL in less than 5 mins.
  • I have experienced 100% catch rate for all dittos encounters
  • Cant kill the ditto nor take significant damage from the ditto either,

Before I explain further of my Poorman's Version lets look at our options

Now I know there are 2 really good options when it comes to ditto farming,

The Vaporeon Yawn/Payday Strat

The Forretress Lagging Tail/ Volt Switch Strat

Both are great options but cost a bit to set up

Currently if you dont want to breed your own version and buy everything straight of the gtl it will cost

Approximately anywhere from 130k to 155k, 120k - 145k for the Natured/ IV Vaporeon, 1k - 2k for the Silk Scarf, 10k for Pay Day

image.png.c269fa3b43de800b55e70e992b74e6c5.png

Approximately anywhere from 122k to 152k, 90k - 120k for the Natured/ IV Forrestress, 2k - 3k for the Lagging Tail, 30k for Volt Switch

image.png.f4e42e942e095646f319ce31fd089766.png

Obviously as supply becomes more frequent and common the prices will come down,

With that out of the way explaining the cost of the 2 methods lets get to the Poor mans Version

These are the Pokemon You Need

image.thumb.png.0762d10d91e5049ea6cbf8c5dd88aba8.png

You Need

• A Scyther the higher the level the better, needs swarm
    • The Purpose of the Scyther is to have a Swarm to increase encounter rates by +10% therefore encountering more Dittos per Hour, 
    • The higher the level means it survive battle even again non ditto encounters
    • The higher speed stat allows easy getting away from not ditto encounters
    • The EV/IV/Nature of Scyther doesn't matter
    • Swaps to the next Pokemon

1. image.png.a5ce918e05c481d9d2990e2566f74a44.png

At the time of the post these where the current prices for at least Level 50 Swarm Scythers

• Any Magikarp
    • The purpose of the Magikarp is to be swapped in after Scyther so Ditto Transforms into Magikarp
    • Magikarp has terrible base Stats and terrible movesets (Splash/ Tackle) at low levels therefore posing at not a threat for the catcher
    • Allows to be easily caught with the Net Ball
    • The EV/IV/Nature of Magikarp doesn't matter
    • Once the Magikarp reaches level 20 it evolves to Gyarados and can be resold on the GTL as well

• image.png.83bdb926673f210414a41c4e3bb9b633.png

At the time of the post these where the current prices for Any Magikarp

• image.png.1b17acb18d44ab9e810f3c9c4c7c173b.png

At the time of the post these where the current prices for Any Gyarados once you Sell

• A Catching Pokemon, Preferably Parasect as it has Spore and can learn TM - False Swipe
    • Once the Ditto is a Magikarp Switch to the Parasect where a False Swipe, Spore and then Net Ball will secure the Capture
    • Due to Magikarps moveset the damage taken if Tackle is used is Minimal, this can be countered by Leftovers (Optional)
    • Will need to acquire TM- False Swipe to teach to Parasect

• image.png.a4a3f02103d6a08342e0bc64b6885b6b.png

At the time of the post these where the current prices for Any Level 24 or Higher Paras/Parasect with Spore

• image.png.9c3e5f28f4392dc170a2b13150467104.png

At the time of the post these where the current prices for TM- False Swipe

So There is the Strategy, But Here ill break i down into Turns

Encounter Ditto Turn 1

Scyther Swaps for Magikarp

Ditto Transforms into Magikarp

Turn 2

Magikarp Swaps for Parasect

Ditto (Magikarp) either uses Splash or Tackle

Turn 3

Parasect Uses False Swipe

Ditto (Magikarp) either uses Splash or Tackle

Turn 4

Can throw Net Ball Now but not 100% Chance Catch Rate

Or

Parasect Uses Spore

Ditto (Magikarp) Is Asleep

Turn 5

Net Ball Thrown 100% Catch from my experience

This is also the comparison i made using the template found on Enzo's Vaporeon Post

AngryGorilla's PoorMan's Version

Vaporeon

Forrestress

96 Caught Dittos per run w/o Leppas

• 24 Spores x 4

Parasect (this is pp maxed)

Pp maxed False swipe with not 100% catch rate can lead to 192 Dittos per run w/o Leppas

• 48 False Swipes x 4 Parasect

Without PP Max Spore 60 Dittos per run

96 Caught Dittos per run w/o Leppas

• 16 Yawn x 6 Vaporeons

Without PP Max Yawn 60 Dittos per run

64 to 72 Caught Dittos per run w/o Leppas

• 32 Volt Switch x 2 Forretress and 4 Brelooms 

or

• 24 Spore x 3 Foretress and 3 Brelooms

Without PP Max Volt Switch of Spore 60 Dittos per run

No Yen

Cost 20k Pokeyen to Set Up

No Need to EV Train, Ready to go

Extra 400-450 yen per Ditto/non-Ditto encounter

Cost 130k - 155k Pokeyen to Set Up

Need Time to EV Train

No Yen

Cost 122k - 152k Pokeyen to Set Up

Need Time to EV Train

Switch in Pokemon Twice

No Switching Required

Have to switch in Spore Pokemon

Need to Track Spores PP

Only need to track lead Pokemon’s Yawn PP

Need to track both Volt Switch and Spore’s PP

All Ditto Encounters are Caught

Very Minimal Damage Taken

Chance for Ditto to faint

• Payday Crits

All Ditto Encounters are Caught

The Enemy Ditto only has Splash and Tackle as moves once it uses Transform

May need to use awakening/endure 3 sleep turns on next encounter.

• This rarely happens

• Happens when Enemy Ditto uses Yawn on you and you miss a catch

No need for this since Enemy Ditto will not have any chance to use any move on you except transform.

Can Be Used Anywhere

Hoenn Exclusive

Can Be Used Anywhere

Throws Pokeball on the Fifth turn.

Throws Pokeball on the third turn.

Throws Pokeball on the third turn.

Takes Advantage of Net Ball’s 3.5x catch rate

Once Again

The Point of this post is to help out the Little Guy, people who want to Ditto Farm but on a very low budget because they want to Egg Breed for Shiny Hunting or dont have that much Pokeyen Behind them.

There are multiple different ways to do things in Pokemmo we as a community just want to show every possiblity. this isnt designed to be "better than" the other methods but to provide another option

Cheers AG

Edited by AngryGorilla

There is a major flaw. You mentioned your method was cheaper? But you realize that any strat discovered takes the Butterfly effect and become expensive when people go using it if they see it's worth. To the method be cheap it needs to be bad at the point it's not considered an alternative option either, which your strat looks like it's not, isn't good enough to suprass the Forretrees GOAT strat, but it's good enough to be an alternative alongside with the Subs Timed Smeargle. Also i showed at the forretrees's strat there is a way to have extra PP for status condition so plz fix the max use. Thanks

Edited by caioxlive13
20 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

There is a major flaw. You mentioned your method was cheaper? But you realize that any strat discovered takes the Butterfly effect and become expensive when people go using it if they see it's worth. To the method be cheap it needs to be bad at the point it's not considered an alternative option either, which your strat looks like it's not, isn't good enough to suprass the Forretrees GOAT strat, but it's good enough to be an alternative alongside with the Subs Timed Smeargle. Also i showed at the forretrees's strat there is a way to have extra PP for status condition so plz fix the max use. Thanks

Valid, but I don't see the value of the Pokemon used to drastically increase in value, this cycle of Swarm - Weak - Catcher will always stay cheap.

Scyther was used merely as a swarm Pokemon there are many of Swarm monsters to chose from

Current Prices for Any Pokemon with Swarm

image.png.5be3b45e440758bc08f8d00ea64cf73c.png

Magikarp will always stay cheap and even if its isn't there will always be weak Pokemon Approx. 1200 or less

image.png.b9fdd25b798b1143232555da5a0d2c8f.png

And lastly i said a Catching Pokemon Paras/ Parasect is a great Option for it learns Spore by leveling and just needs False Swipe which you can buy for 10k at any regions main Department Store so that can never go up in price, need to semi think about the level since you want to do decent damage with false swipe, but Ditto (Magikarp) will only use either Splash or Tackle so wont OHKO

Current Price for any Level 22 or Higher Paras/Parasect

image.png.28798719a31d6c944219f66954c6b429.png

The main selling point for this method is it will always be cheap regardless of butterfly effect, and to be a ready to go method for people that want to get straight into it. To be able to ditto farm in less than 5min with a team ready to go. How much time would it take to set up Smeargle with Right IVs, Right Nature, and with Baton Pass, Thunder Wave, Spore and Glare same with the Forrestress with Right IVs, Right Nature, Volt Tackle which is a 30k each TM from regions Department Store not to mention EV Training all 6 mons to get maximum output. TBH although its a great strat im picking ease before spending hours and hundreds of thousands of pokeyen to gather the team of Forrestress and Smeargle.

Cheers for the Input

Creativity is always good, but the point that makes me believe that this isn't really viable is the fact that every ditto encounter takes 5 turns instead of 3. That's just too long. In the long term, you'll spend less time (and mental energy) if you just set up one proper ditter farming mon that snowballs into enough money to set up better ones.

Your price estimates aren't particularly representative imo. Sure, you could spend 100k+ on a perfect Vaporeon, or you could breed a decent one yourself for less than 20k. Here, watch me do it with whatever is on the market rn, no crazy snipes or luck required:Screenshot_20240208-2203582.thumb.png.f7b39892d8c4d0d882d9950a16c24bdd.pngScreenshot_20240208-2205582.thumb.png.242296441b343ee37f2940038493f161.pngScreenshot_20240208-223519.thumb.png.c2c1aabce4d462d2cc81ba98b53776a1.pngScreenshot_20240208-224127.thumb.png.b48342bac21bbdcfff8aaab98a6f809f.png

I didn't roll particularly well on it, it still does up to 85 damage to a Hoenn Ditto at lvl 100 (the perfect Vaporeon would do 87), but that's literally a 2.3% difference and won't really affect catch rate. I've taken him along on my EV run, sending him your way shortly 😜

7 hours ago, Axanthicc said:

Creativity is always good, but the point that makes me believe that this isn't really viable is the fact that every ditto encounter takes 5 turns instead of 3. That's just too long. In the long term, you'll spend less time (and mental energy) if you just set up one proper ditter farming mon that snowballs into enough money to set up better ones.

Your price estimates aren't particularly representative imo. Sure, you could spend 100k+ on a perfect Vaporeon, or you could breed a decent one yourself for less than 20k. Here, watch me do it with whatever is on the market rn, no crazy snipes or luck required:Screenshot_20240208-2203582.thumb.png.f7b39892d8c4d0d882d9950a16c24bdd.pngScreenshot_20240208-2205582.thumb.png.242296441b343ee37f2940038493f161.pngScreenshot_20240208-223519.thumb.png.c2c1aabce4d462d2cc81ba98b53776a1.pngScreenshot_20240208-224127.thumb.png.b48342bac21bbdcfff8aaab98a6f809f.png

I didn't roll particularly well on it, it still does up to 85 damage to a Hoenn Ditto at lvl 100 (the perfect Vaporeon would do 87), but that's literally a 2.3% difference and won't really affect catch rate. I've taken him along on my EV run, sending him your way shortly 😜

Firstly Love This. Thanks for the Vaporeon As Well. I might use it 😜

Well, with time the prices for this niche Pokemon will come down like they all do as supply increases, but my method is to be the easiest for how cheap it is to produce, lest than 20k even as low as 16k, absolutely you are right you could get an Eevee - right nature and close iv to what you want but even though your example cost 17k (Poochyena, Eevee, Everstone) but now need to also EV Train, Water Stone and teach TM - Pay Day, which is all time and money, adding 12.5-15k - (5k Water Stone/ 2.5k from GTL and 10k TM - Pay day). Now putting you at in total 30k before EV Training and no where near catching any dittos to begin comparing, this method isnt to be better but provide another route. As well as the Pokemon I have selected are always so easily available rather than a Female Eevee. Swarm provides more encounters per hour to attempt to combat the extra turns, can be done in any ditto location and team set up takes 5mins max

I love all the different looks we can take on this because with any guide, showcase or feature if there is discussion on it, it means its constantly being refined and fine tuned.
But this method is just simple.

P.S how long does it take to EV Train and Level to 100? Just out of curiosity