Honest Review on PokeMMO

Before anyone gets up on their high horse and thinks they have the right and privilege of bashing another persons opinion, understand that this is just that, an OPINION!

That being said, I have been playing Pokémon since it released with the TCG on Gameboy color. I always loved the PVE aspect of gaming and never really saw any interest in the PVP field of gaming, unless me and friends were fucking around in private matches or doing stupid stuff for shits and giggles. After playing both Kanto and Johto and attempting the E4 in both regions, There are the good and there are the bad.

The Bad:

To be frank, the good out weigh the bad, but the only issues I have with this game is that it's mechanics all revolve around pvp. What I mean by this is that not only do the Ai spam moves that are most effective against you (something an actual player would do hence PVP mechanics), but on top of that the daycare has two systems to it where one is pointless and the other is rigged to screw over casual players. For example, if you catch a Snorlax and you want to breed it, you are SOL cause even though you caught it in the wild, it counts as a gifted Pokémon and you can't breed it. Same thing with any other Pokémon that is acquired through trade, purchase, or capture like Snorlax. It defeats the purpose of breeding Pokémon and ruins it for other players that are trying to enjoy something they grew up with. Players like myself are not trying to min-max our Pokémon for a tournament to win $5 Billion and a free vacation to Japan. Honestly a better fix would be make the Day Care Lady the way she was in the original games and let us breed all Pokémon we get, and upon hatching, make that Pokémon untradable/sellable that way it is balanced and prevents any BS with the economy online. Players get their Pokémon they want and the creators prevent said Pokémon from being mass sold in the community trade link/trades. It's literally a win/win scenario. I know this can be done because I have two types of moon stones, one that is untradable and one that can be tradable/sellable. If an item can have this done to it, so can Pokémon.

The other issue is that it seems like all Ai Pokémon have perfect IV/EV and are built solely to make you feel like you are playing against other players nonstop. Like I have battled against Ai Magnamite and Magnatons that knew flash cannon before they were of level to know it. Like I know they can learn it via TM's, but these Ai trainers don't teach TM moves to their Pokémon. This ain't Dark Souls so stop trying to compete with them lol. Like I can tell someone went in and coded all these Pokémon to know moves that they can learn via TM's or by breeding that would counter everything that can be used against them (again, hence the PVP mechanics). Like I understand making gym leaders and E4 revolve around these mechanics, but why the average trainers we run into?

in other words you have to play like you are playing against other real people 24/7 otherwise you'll get shit on by Ai. So it's not really all that fun for casual players in some parts of the game.

The Good:

As for the good about this game, and there are a ton of things thankfully. I can start by saying you can choose your starting region which is beautiful. I love the fact you can start in Johto the go to Kanto when you access the ship area and go back via talking to your mom (in game lol). On top of the fact that some events are still playable like the safari zone game, the legendary dog encounter, and more. You get a box for all your apricorns, which saves space in your bag, global trade link to get early access to some items (not all) before you physically can acquire them, on top of being able to acquire all starters and all Pokémon there is is phenomenal (with some exceptions involving balancing rules for pvp mechanics). The list goes on and on. 

I'm not trying to bash the game or insult anyone, just trying to give constructive criticism. Maybe even ideas to build off of in upcoming updates. I love how unique this is and how it brings all types of Pokémon fans together on one game to have fun and interact with each other. I just wish some things were given more thought and hope this helps in better improving the game. 

Why does everyone always start with "I'm a fan since xxx" ?

I read your review and my first thoughts are "skill issue" and that I think you didn't bother with the game.
First of all, the basics of your criticism. You jump back and forth between the points of criticism. I'll try to summarise them and then go into them.

1. difficulty of the AI:
I can't understand your criticism here. The AI is better than in the original games and at least tries to react to you, no "growl or tail whip spam".
The AI is not unfair and has nothing to do with PvP. You don't lose any money or items if you lose. That's why it's totally ok.
This also includes the stronger attacks.
2 I don't understand the Snorlax and Daycare part. Please explain this in more detail. It's badly written.
3. regarding the EVs and DVs of the trainers, I can't give you an exact answer and I don't want to spread false information, so without guarantee. Normal trainers should not have EV's and the DV's are random (this is how it is in the original games, here it can be different). The Gym Leaders have certain EV's and DV's in their rematches, but you are still a bit away from that.

Edited by Ditschi

You can breed any pokemon caught in the wild, bought off gtl or traded for so just a slight misudnerstanding on that part. The only mons you cant are, as you said GIFTED mons that are given to you through story progression. This includes starters, NPC traded mons, and any static storyline encounter. The snorlax you tried to breed was a static gift mon that everyone earns during the storyline, thats why it cant be bred. But if you go to berry forrest and capture a wild one, it can be bred as can any purchased, traded or caught mon can. 

18 hours ago, NoxydeHyena said:

The other issue is that it seems like all Ai Pokémon have perfect IV/EV and are built solely to make you feel like you are playing against other players nonstop. Like I have battled against Ai Magnamite and Magnatons that knew flash cannon before they were of level to know it. Like I know they can learn it via TM's, but these Ai trainers don't teach TM moves to their Pokémon. This ain't Dark Souls so stop trying to compete with them lol. Like I can tell someone went in and coded all these Pokémon to know moves that they can learn via TM's or by breeding that would counter everything that can be used against them (again, hence the PVP mechanics). Like I understand making gym leaders and E4 revolve around these mechanics, but why the average trainers we run into?

in other words you have to play like you are playing against other real people 24/7 otherwise you'll get shit on by Ai. So it's not really all that fun for casual players in some parts of the game.

I'm a causal player myself and yet I was able to do this

on my first ever run. I didn't look up any guides neither did I know anything about the trainers beforehand. It was just me and a standard starter mon vs the story and I won. The point is despite all the moves/ivs the Ai has the game is still quite easily beatable. It only becomes Dark Souls when you're using super under leveled pokes.

With all due respect, not trying to bash on you or your opinion but let me give mine:

21 hours ago, NoxydeHyena said:

this is just that, an OPINION!

After playing both Kanto and Johto and attempting the E4 in both regions,

I have been playing Pokémon since it released with the TCG on Gameboy color.

It's not because it's a opinion, it's a good one or a valid one. You didn't beat 40% of the storyline available (3/5 regions plus the after storyline). You don't seem to have the MMO experience (let alone a pokemon MMO) yet.

that it's mechanics all revolve around pvp.

No, it doesn't. There are a lot of PVE to do. MMO is supposed to hard and a pokemmo is supposed to be harder than the vanilla games. They made it harder (AI, level caps, builds...) but they also made it easier (TM in marts, EV Training / Exp Training using hordes, GTL, ...)

daycare has two systems to it where one is pointless and the other is rigged to screw over casual players.

Again, it's supposed to be harder. It's balanced to keep the game challenging enough for everyone. The era of clones were HORRIBLE. All a player needed was a good ditto and they could print infinite good pokemon.  If you REALLY want to breed, just buy another on GTL and a breeder. This system allows you to have MORE control of the outcome of the process. It literally tells you the result of the breeding.

Like I have battled against Ai Magnamite and Magnatons that knew flash cannon before they were of level to know it. Like I know they can learn it via TM's, but these Ai trainers don't teach TM moves to their Pokémon.

I believe the vanilla games also have trainers with pokemon that evolved before the level it was supposed to.

So it's not really all that fun for casual players in some parts of the game.

I don't like the "git good" argument very much but in this case... People have beaten the game with only gift pokemon, or with bad IV and natures, or even bad species they liked.. It's doable as long as you know the basic mechanics. It can get harder depending on your team, training or knowledge but it's doable. There are VERY FEW parts of the game that requires you to have dedicated team (red, ho-oh, a few event "bosses", maybe raids). All of them are end game content. AND theres a LOT of info to help (in this forum, YT...).

My suggestion is: keep playing and keep learning. That is part of the fun in PokeMMO.  When you finnish all the storyline, you will have knowledge to find a end-game goal that you enjoy.. I like to shiny hunt and eventually PVP randoms.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:53 AM, NoxydeHyena said:

The Bad:
What I mean by this is that not only do the Ai spam moves that are most effective against you (something an actual player would do hence PVP mechanics), but on top of that the daycare has two systems to it where one is pointless and the other is rigged to screw over casual players. For example, if you catch a Snorlax and you want to breed it, you are SOL cause even though you caught it in the wild, it counts as a gifted Pokémon and you can't breed it. Same thing with any other Pokémon that is acquired through trade, purchase, or capture like Snorlax. It defeats the purpose of breeding Pokémon and ruins it for other players that are trying to enjoy something they grew up with. Players like myself are not trying to min-max our Pokémon for a tournament to win $5 Billion and a free vacation to Japan. Honestly a better fix would be make the Day Care Lady the way she was in the original games and let us breed all Pokémon we get, and upon hatching, make that Pokémon untradable/sellable that way it is balanced and prevents any BS with the economy online. Players get their Pokémon they want and the creators prevent said Pokémon from being mass sold in the community trade link/trades. It's literally a win/win scenario. I know this can be done because I have two types of moon stones, one that is untradable and one that can be tradable/sellable. If an item can have this done to it, so can Pokémon.

Sounds like you are struggling based on limited opinions due to limited experiences:

• No, Ai Pokemon does not has max EV, in fact all Ai pokemon only has max IV without EV upgraded. Which is still very easy to me even on my first try at the game, if you plan and strategize the move type properly.

• People exploit gifted pokemon for shiny hunting, hence gifted can't be trade or bred.

• You say you completed 2 regions, do you know how to use the GTL yet? That is where you will be finding Snorlax with good stats and can be bred.

• Not trading bred pokemon is how you kill the game economy and PVP competitiveness.

• This game offers way way way more than what vanilla pokefan could ever imagine with realistic challenges and bars to achieve. The difficulty of storyline Id say is perfect by my standard.

• NO, the game isn't all about PVP, post-game stuffs are all about rebattle farming, trading, breeding, team building, ribbon collecting, shiny hunting, alpha hunting, pokedex completion.

5 hours ago, Mystgan said:

No, Ai Pokemon does not has max EV, in fact all Ai pokemon only has max IV without EV upgraded. Which is still very easy to me even on my first try at the game, if you plan and strategize the move type properly.

This isn’t even true. Npc pokemon ivs and ev scale throughout the game. the first starter battle for example is 0 ivs and 0 evs.