[Implemented] Breeding Fix

I want to make a small request of the developers: Kyu stated that IV inheritance would be reworked in a way that "makes the pokemon inside the egg more valuable". While I think that the new system is a step in the right direction, I don't believe it really accomplishes this.

The inheritance rework eliminated the opporunity to breed pokemon in a way that covered up holes in their IVs. For instance, it used to be possible to breed a naive pokemon with a 0-5 stat in spdef with a ditto to get and expect to get an offspring with a usable spdef stat after some time (assuming the ditto had such a stat that could be passed or RNG'd into something slightly better). The current system would only allow such a pokemon to produce a baby with a maximum of 15-20 in that stat, and only if the other parent had 31 spdef. The old system gave you a chance to RNG out your pokemon's lower stats while the new one makes the offspring's stats worse or equal to at best. Similarly, there is no reward for breeding pokemon with natures beneficial to their IVs, which I find somewhat problematic. 

I think that the best fix for this is creating a lower bound (similar to "average of parents' IVs upper bound) that prevents you from breeding two adamant pokemon with 31 attack IVs and getting a child with 0-5 attack. Why not install a system that creates a lower bound on offspring's IVs when the parents have 20+ in a stat? For instance, the two pokemon described above would have no chance of breeding a baby with less than 1/4 of their parents average IV (1/4 chosen arbitrarily). The advantage of this is clear: although it's still possible to get offspring with a 7 attack stat, it is comparably much more likely that the pokemon will come out with a usable attack stat.

The upper bound could stay, meaning that two pokemon with attack ivs = 25 would produce a baby with an attack IV between 6-25, making breeding a little bit less harsh. 

The new inheritance rules also allow for IVs to be passed, regardless of how good/bad they are- but the chances of passing the exact IVs you want seem unfathomably low. There are 12 stats to choose from (each parent has 6) and 3 are passed. Lets say you want 3 IVs to pass from either parent and that these 3 IVs are similar from parent to parent (maybe you are breeding walls and you only want good hp/def/spdef). The total number of possible configurations of inherited IVs is (12choose3).The probability of getting the 3 you want to pass are [6]/[12choose3] or [3]/[12choose3] + [3]/[12choose3], as their are 6 ivs that will work divided by the total number of possible stats that could be inherited. This math works out to be 0.02727272727 which is a heinously low probability!You'd still have to breed around 50 of that pokemon to get one that you liked purely from inheritance! Given that the chances

for getting a high roll in a stat that isn't inherited are also low, this works out to make breeding a probabilistic nightmare!

[DISCLAIMER: please correct me or argue with me about the math if you think that I am wrong or have somehow misinterpreted something]

Given that the nature system has also been reworked, I don't see this as economy breaking. We now have 5% less chance of receiving the nature we want when breeding two pokemon of the same nature- making getting good-natured pokemon with good IVs more difficult.

TL;DR - some math and a plea for a slight adjustment in breeding mechanics

Yes.

The pseudo-random rolls for the remaining 3 stats make no sense to me. Just make them random.

I find it sad that if both parents have a low def stat or somehting, that the offspring has a 100% chance of having a low def.

Anything that doesn't get inherited should just be random.

in my experience iv inheritance is bugged, i dont want calculate the exact ivs now, but ill show an example:

i had two pokemon with ivs: 20/20/20/20/20/20

then i get this: 20/19/20/19/19/19

• Each IV has a 8.333% chance to be inherited from either parent.
  • 3 IV stats are passed this way

this step is working bad.

Anyways the new breed system is worse than before. That random step dont make sense, is just rng, where is the inheritance there?

I liked the old breeding in the way that you could choose breeding pairs based on favorable natures (eg.adamant for good atack iv), and filling holes in the parent's ivs.

Imo the new breeding is more just like "Throw in 2 almost perfect parents, wait to inherit 3 good ivs and pray for decent rolls in the semi-random ones".

And its really hard to do that, inherit good ivs + high semi random rolls. My RNG rolls have never been <24 even when both parents got ivs >28 in said stat.

edit: missput ">" instead of "<" dem typing early in the morning e.e

• 1 year later...

Although not exactly the same as worded, the new breeding mechanics effectively solve the problem brought up here.

It's now impossible to breed two parents together, both having an atk IV of 31, and end up with a bad atk IV on the offspring..