[Denied] Increase the Chances of a Wild battle in Pokemon Tower

How does a gameplay system that does not require you to do literally anything but sit, wait, and occasionally press z a few times not promote botting?

While both are bottable, one is significantly worse (Hint - its yours).  And regardless of whether or not you 'pitched an idea' it was a bad idea that will (I hope to God) never have any influence on the dev's decision making

I wasnt pitching an idea, nor was i trying to influence the devs. And there was nothing wrong with afk w8ing for eggs in bikemmo. Its not like the fact that there was something you can do in this game while afk was actually hurting the game. It actually helped it bc it made breed grinding less frustrating. And im not the only one who thinks this. 

I wasnt pitching an idea, nor was i trying to influence the devs. And there was nothing wrong with afk w8ing for eggs in bikemmo. Its not like the fact that there was something you can do in this game while afk was actually hurting the game. It actually helped it bc it made breed grinding less frustrating. And im not the only one who thinks this. 

It hurts the game because it means that:

You. Are. Not. Playing. The. Game.

You're. Watching. TV. While. Holding. Down. Buttons. 

Please explain to me why any situation where this is true should not be a cause for alarm?  Furthermore, 'It actually helped it bc it made breed grinding less frustrating. And im not the only one who thinks this.' could not be less true.  The fact that you and others feel this way doesn't make it true - it just means that you're players, not developers.  And as it turns out, more often than not players are stupid and have no idea what is good for the game - this is one of those times. This is because you are thinking in terms of 'rabble rabble rabble I demand easy, afkable gameplay because I don't want to actually play the game' and not in terms of 'What makes this game something that people have to pay attention to (and even more so, want to pay attention to)?'

A game that you watch TV instead of focusing is hardly a good game.

Regardless, this is rather off topic and if you'd like to continue this discussion we can do so in an on-topic thread or via PMs.

Please explain to me why any situation where this is true should not be a cause for alarm?  Furthermore, 'It actually helped it bc it made breed grinding less frustrating. And im not the only one who thinks this.' could not be less true.  The fact that you and others feel this way doesn't make it true - it just means that you're players, not developers.  And as it turns out, more often than not players are stupid and have no idea what is good for the game - this is one of those times. This is because you are thinking in terms of 'rabble rabble rabble I demand easy, afkable gameplay because I don't want to actually play the game' and not in terms of 'What makes this game something that people have to pay attention to (and even more so, want to pay attention to)?'

Regardless, this is rather off topic and if you'd like to continue this discussion we can do so in an on-topic thread or via PMs.

Nah its not really worth it. Especially since, last i heard, you dont even play the game anyway. If that is still true then you wouldnt even know a pain that the grinding in this game really is.

/thread

While I never liked bikemmo,the current system make me feel like Kyu and Desu are baby sitting me. Now instead of seeing a bunch of people furiously biking left to right on island 4 you see 50 people standing and occationally moving or fishing to not be flagged as "afk." I don't think the new system promotes "gameplay" The majority of people grab their egg, buy their flags, run from 5 encounters and sit.

While I never liked bikemmo,the current system make me feel like Kyu and Desu are baby sitting me. Now instead of seeing a bunch of people furiously biking left to right on island 4 you see 50 people standing and occationally moving or fishing to not be flagged as "afk." I don't think the new system promotes "gameplay" The majority of people grab their egg, buy their flags, run from 5 encounters and sit.

Breeding will never be great but onto the thread the idea is like the biking in Pokémon tower one from a bit ago, the game has more important and better things to do.

but there's no denying that now getting good babies is less of a pain in the ass - you don't have to bike furiously and it takes like 3 eggs of the desired nature (at most) to get what you're looking for assuming your parents are suitable.

also, I'd prefer devs spend their time coming up with better things for us to do while we're hatching eggs rather than bringing back bikemmo or redoing the whole thing yet again.

Nah its not really worth it. Especially since, last i heard, you dont even play the game anyway. If that is still true then you wouldnt even know a pain that the grinding in this game really is.

I do, actually, play the game.  And I'm quite familiar with grinding and how annoying it is, and I by no means think that the current system is perfect.  Furthermore, what you consider 'worth it' isn't really relevant, and the grinding now is not nearly as bad as what it was when I was most highly active, or even in the true oldfag days of september or earlier

This, however, I don't think is a problem with breeding - it is a structural problem with PokeMMO that has existed for a long time.  Frankly, there isn't really that much to do in PokeMMO - you have 'encountering pokemon' (hunting, breeding, ev training, leveling), you have 'pvp interactions' , you have gambling and you have chatting.  No one considers gambling to be viable gameplay, so we are essentially left with three basic options of playing.  Lacking diversity is a huge problem in PokeMMO, and why people get bored.  With more content, more things to do that are worth doing I think people will spend time doing those things instead of being afk while waiting for their egg to hatch.

and now, srs, I'm done posting on this here (inb4 someone says something that I very strongly feel the need to reply to)

but there's no denying that now getting good babies is less of a pain in the ass - you don't have to bike furiously and it takes like 3 eggs of the desired nature (at most) to get what you're looking for assuming your parents are suitable

Totally in agreeance Robo, My post was mainly directed at Danno, The new system does not promote gameplay. If anything the devs implemented this breeding system as some sort of lazy money sink. However the afk timer attached to the eggs just makes breeding "that" much more tedious.

I do, actually, play the game.  And I'm quite familiar with grinding and how annoying it is, and I by no means think that the current system is perfect.  Furthermore, what you consider 'worth it' isn't really relevant, and the grinding now is not nearly as bad as what it was when I was most highly active, or even in the true oldfag days of september or earlier

This, however, I don't think is a problem with breeding - it is a structural problem with PokeMMO that has existed for a long time.  Frankly, there isn't really that much to do in PokeMMO - you have 'encountering pokemon' (hunting, breeding, ev training, leveling), you have 'pvp interactions' , you have gambling and you have chatting.  No one considers gambling to be viable gameplay, so we are essentially left with three basic options of playing.  Lacking diversity is a huge problem in PokeMMO, and why people get bored.  With more content, more things to do that are worth doing I think people will spend time doing those things instead of being afk while waiting for their egg to hatch.

and now, srs, I'm done posting on this here (inb4 someone says something that I very strongly feel the need to reply to)

I agree but, they added an afk timer to a mechanic thats suppose to suppliment the game's "content." But, as you said their really isn't anything to do. So attaching the afk timer to the hatching mechanic in pokemmo's current state was just silly. 

Totally in agreeance Robo, My post was mainly directed at Danno, The new system does not promote gameplay. If anything the devs implemented this breeding system as some sort of lazy money sink. However the afk timer attached to the eggs just makes breeding "that" much more tedious.

I agree with this too.. hopefully this mechanic will seem a little less tedious when the game is more complete

also this is turning out to be a great threadjack. gtfo original discussion.

The new system does more that BikeMMO which was the most boring thing ever and is faster not to say it's still bad.

But srs this got OT so badly.

The creator of the topic didn't explain, but he has a point. The EV training is, in fact, unbalanced. HP, special defense, speed and attack are okay, while defense and mainly special attack has issues.

Let's start with special attack. Actually we have two options to pure special attack training: Gastly/Haunter in Pokémon Tower and Slugma in Ruby Path.

In Pokémon Tower the inability to run or bike decreases the encounter rate, making the EV training in special attack a nightmare (pun intended). And now the vitamins are really expensive, so you have to do the 126 training, not the 76 anymore.

In Ruby Path, there are two problems: The location is isolated, so you have to spend money with repels, or face the sea of Tentacool + grass + cave, consuming time instead money. And the level range is high, forcing you to level your pokémon to a high level or use Exp. Share, which disables the use of Macho Brace. Biking is allowed, but if you use Exp. Share, you have to do the whole 252 training.

The defense is not problematic as special attack, but still is limited. The Tangela have a level range 17-28, so you forced to level up your pokémon to 30+ or use Exp. Share, which disables Macho Brace. 

Comparing with the other effort points, these are more time/money consuming.

Go to mt emeber b3 with a strong water pokemon. You can evtrain on slugma, and when you run out of pp on surf just replace it with waterfall. When you run out of waterfall replace it with surf. The same technique can be used with any pokemon that can learn 2 hms. When i use my charzard to ev train a group of pokemon then i can use strength and fly to renew my pp. i dont use fly to kill pokes with but to replace strength so i can reteach it to him.

That is smart. :o I will put this trick in my guide, how I should write your nickname to credit?

Okay everybody let's back away from the whole EV location arguing.  You guys should post all those on the EV guide, or one of us should make one if there isn't one.

lol https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/26208-guide-ev-training/

Regardless because they plan to rework EV mechanics to make them easier/less mindless grinding I don't really think this is that necessary

There is no guarantee the devs will bring a definitive solution to EV training. Let's use as example what happened with the breeding mechanic. They changed the IV inheritance to -6 +3, then to -12 +2, and now will change (I am starting to doubt that srsly it is a 1 week already) to -8 +3, because they heard the feedback of the community. So if the idea they use isn't good, we can suggest in advance possible solutions.

The ideas already existing are:

1. Allow biking, running or increasing the encounter rate (OP idea) in Pokémon Tower;

2. Change the vitamins price to a suitable price. I assume nobody is rich in this game to pay 980k for 100 evs in a stat. This should be changed after the changelog 14/10.

3. Alter the encounter rates for better EV Training. When I made this suggestion, I didn't explain the importance and I focused only in defense evs, ignoring the special attack, but I am planning remake the suggestion.

I meant arguing further wasnt worth it. And whoa you came bak O.o nice. But what u said in your last statement is what ive been getting at. Theres nothing to do in pokemmo while grinding for eggs so adding an afk timer to the egg hatching makes no since. I mean you can ev train but hatchin eggs on top of ev training makes both jobs even more tedious. And i dont see the devs ever being able to come up with more interesting game play. I mean you have 4 directional buttons to move and an A and B button to select thing from a menu. What can you possibly add in to the game long side breeding so that you are actually having fun while not being afk. And its not like youll be afk the entire time. Just the 10-20 min it takes for the eggs to hatch. you still gotta raise the flags which doesnt take that long but still prevents from total afking while breeding. Allowing a grind like this to have long periods of time while afk will also allow/encourage the busy college student to play the game more while being able to keep up with the competition. You can hatch eggs while doing homework.

I agree but, they added an afk timer to a mechanic thats suppose to suppliment the game's "content." But, as you said their really isn't anything to do. So attaching the afk timer to the hatching mechanic in pokemmo's current state was just silly. 

Ive been saying this forever fish.

Wow, I made a post that went "Hot"...

yes, but thats part of the problem. When you can only do it during daytime it limits your options considerably

I'm not saying it can't be dealt with - I'm saying that the inconvenience is at least enough to be comparable to the wild encounters in the poketower.  So why aren't you suggesting that EV training be made easier in all locations?

Regardless because they plan to rework EV mechanics to make them easier/less mindless grinding I don't really think this is that necessary

Very well said^,  I really don't see why they need to change the way we get EVs though, they've changed so much they just need to stop changing it and get the game up to how it is supposed to be, THEN change it.

i think that atk is the biggest pain in the ass bc of paris spore. I dont want to do fushia fishing bc it fishing takes too long.

That is easily fixable too, just use a pokemon that has a fire or flying move and that is faster than paras, and an Exp. Share too

Thank you for taking the high road in this situation

Breeding should be changed back to how it is in the handhelds, but keep the IV parameters, they seem much better than the handhelds

Breeding will never be great but onto the thread the idea is like the biking in Pokémon tower one from a bit ago, the game has more important and better things to do.

I agree, but the things they seem to be doing is ruining the game, I would prefer making the game better with small things than what they have been doing

Well said^

• 1 year later...

Pretty sure this was rejected before. These were probably the reasons.

• You can now run in there, effectively speeding up steps taken and encounters.
  • We'd rather not mess with encounter rates beyond what is necessary (pokemon originally unobtainable in the wild in the handhelds, version exclusives, etc).
  • There are better places to EV train. Not much of a reason to change the rates in here specifically.