Monthly reset of the ladder

Quint

Question

9 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

I don't really know why all of lyle thought that the leaderboard was going to be completely reset. I thought it was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to be reset.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/63597-wheres-the-monthly-ladder-reset/

There's the thread that clarified things 

I dont know what my teammates thought about it and didnt speak to them before posting this. I can only speak for myself and i was aware of how it was going to be. Thats why im suggesting a total reset, to see how the community thinks about this. 

5 hours ago, BurntZebra said:

I don't really know why all of lyle thought that the leaderboard was going to be completely reset. I thought it was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to be reset.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/63597-wheres-the-monthly-ladder-reset/

There's the thread that clarified things 

this doesn't really have anything to do with what anyone might have thought was the case, it's a suggestion to change how it is, since a lot of people seem to disagree with how it currently is.

myself included, doing it through a kinda "decay" system that only adjusts on a monthly basis is pretty ass. if the decay was more frequent or just balanced better in general i'd say a monthly reset isn't necessary, but if the adjustment is gonna be only a monthly thing i think it should be a total reset.

I am not going to participate in PvP ranked until the permanent win/lose counter is gone.

Reasons:

I would like to test teams in the most regularly available competitive situation (ranked) and don't want a record reflecting testing and trying things.

I am very self critical and wouldn't want a possibly negative ratio forever in my face.

I agree with the OP that leaderboard ranks should be reset at monthly or seasonal intervals

Reasons:

There is more incentive for a fresh new player to try to steal the #1 spot if they know that each season they get on equal footing with the leaders.

If everyone knows your rank gets periodically reset, it creates the inventive for people to be more willing to try something different. This helps the metagame evolve instead of incentivizing players to play the safe things that they feel they know works (assuming a player cares about their win/lose ratio to some degree).

I have noticed some ratios that look more like high risk/high reward teams with duels that take less time. Other ratios have fewer number of games played but with a higher % win rate which can sometimes suggest a more defensive strategy (or simply fewer number of games played). My point is I like to try to read into the stats. For one, it would be interesting be able to better track what players are doing. For example, you could better compare a player who was using a stall team to a balanced or hyper offensive team if you knew the ratios depended on what the player had been using during that period. Secondly, it is more interesting to me watch players improve over time or struggle during particular seasons/resets.

As it is currently, you can can have player Joebob dominate for 6 months then the metagame evolved and he started losing about half of the time. It would take a lot of spectating to figure out that JoeBob's team type or pokemon were no longer viable because you can't read into anything with a ratio that never resets - everything bleeds together. However, if you had periodic resets you would see JoeBob Season #1: 50 wins 7 loses, JoeBob Season #2: 47 wins 5 loses, then JoeBob Season #3 (metagame changes): 23 wins 15 loses. It seems like useful information to help a player evolve with an ever-changing metagame and maybe even help spot out imbalances (if any exist) and rate viability for tiering: "Hey you guys implemented snorlax in OU and my team with these 3 pokemon won way less games this season. I think you might want to look at their ranks again." We already have usage stats, but it doesn't seem like more information is a negative thing for discussions.

Edited by bl0nde
1 hour ago, bl0nde said:

I am not going to participate in PvP ranked until the permanent win/lose counter is gone.

Reasons:

I would like to test teams in the most regularly available competitive situation (ranked) and don't want a record reflecting testing and trying things.

I am very self critical and wouldn't want a possibly negative ratio forever in my face.

while i think MMR should be reset, i can't agree with resetting W/L records every month. It's nice finally having a record like that, and seeing weekly vs monthly vs all time is great.

my weekly record for that short time gengar was back was absolutely fantastic, unban gengar.

but yeah, either play on an alt or play unranked. while unranked is MOSTLY shitters, it still keeps secret MMR and tries to match you with players your skill level.

1 hour ago, Rigamorty said:

while i think MMR should be reset, i can't agree with resetting W/L records every month. It's nice finally having a record like that, and seeing weekly vs monthly vs all time is great.

But why not both? Monthly reset W/L ratio and MMR, but keep 'Total W/L" ratio in statistics, just like we have "highest streak" in battle frontier. 

5 minutes ago, bearminator said:

But why not both? Monthly reset W/L ratio and MMR, but keep 'Total W/L" ratio in statistics, just like we have "highest streak" in battle frontier. 

currently matchmaking does track weekly, monthly, and overall W/L ratio though. I guess having monthly be what shows on the leader board would make sense if it was a total reset monthly

Although the current system works and is fine, I do believe resetting monthly would be better and I'l give my reasonings for this.

I feel like we're trying to adapt the current method from other games, mainly because it's successful there so it'll be successful here. Here at PokeMMO there are monthly rewards for the players ranked highly on the ladder, whether that's the monthly reward or the monthly matchmaking tourney invite. I think other games, from what I know don't have rewards so often, they're more of a seasonal thing, and when the rewards are given at the end of the season the laddering system is completely reset.

I feel like if we're rewarding players on the ladder monthly, the ladder should be completely reset to give everyone the same start in the race to get 1st.