VGC 2017 News

OldKeith

Hi, I am a VGC (Video Game Championships) player, 2016 Worlds invitee but non-attendee. I will use this thread to update on any news regarding VGC so the few of you that care about this "esport" can be up to date.

What is VGC? It is the only official Pokemon circuit where if you are good spend a lot of money on travel you can qualify to worlds. The fun of the circuit comes from the community, as it is the only series of events that gather pokefans in large venues, and make them compete for pride, considering the prizes are rarely, if ever, worth the investment.

Each year, the format of VGC changes because there is no body competent enough to adjust a banlist periodically. For the past year and 2 more months to come, the format has been VGC 2016, where they made a half arsed ruleset with no balance and where you could use the most powerful pokemon in existence freely. The only good news is that this year will have a new format starting December and utilizing the new games, Pokemon Sun and Moon, with the European competition happening in London on the 9th-11th.

The circuit of this year has started last month, and will end with the Worlds Championships in August 2017. To qualify for it, you need to amass 500 Championship Points.

If you are a VGC player, looking to get into it or simply want to spectate live events or watch streams, this thread is the place for it.

Edited by OldKeith
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Telf said:

yo, you guys find any good strats yet?

I was one of first people (if not the very first one) who were using Instruct Oranguru in a slow trick room team paired with Alolan Marowak. It's still early and the format is a clusterfuck because of bugs (especially Z-moves) so I gave up but during first few days I sat on top 30 with that trick room team. I see it blossoming right now and people are using it paired with Eruption Torkoal but I dun like it tbh.

E:

I'm too lazy to relog to that alt especially now when I'm in a randbat but the team itself was Alolan Marowak (thick club)/ Oranguru (Mental herb)/ VGC16 Cancer (Smeargle) (sash)/ Tapu Bulu (CB)  / Nihilego (orb)/ Kartana (scarfed).

Edited by RysPicz
8 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

I was one of first people (if not the very first one) who were using Instruct Oranguru in a slow trick room team paired with Alolan Marowak. It's still early and the format is a clusterfuck because of bugs (especially Z-moves) so I gave up but during first few days I sat on top 30 with that trick room team. I see it blossoming right now and people are using it paired with Eruption Torkoal but I dun like it tbh.

are mega's still aloud in vgc or is everything changed?

3 minutes ago, Telf said:

are mega's still aloud in vgc or is everything changed?

Ooh shit man, you'd have to come and play yourself. Too much has changed

E:

mega evos are not allowed

E2:

And you can only use pokes which you can obtain in Sun and Moon

Edited by RysPicz
6 hours ago, RysPicz said:

Ooh shit man, you'd have to come and play yourself. Too much has changed

E:

mega evos are not allowed

E2:

And you can only use pokes which you can obtain in Sun and Moon

daaaaayyyuuuummm this is gonna be interesting

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, xXBlu3BreathXx said:

VGC HYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

VGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGC

read as:

Yes I'm hyped too

Edited by RysPicz
7 hours ago, Gunthug said:

Which new pokemon/move/mechanic are you most excited to try out? Spotlight looks like it's going to be pretty cool despite it's awful distribution (looks like just 3 pokemon)

That's a cool move. I've seen alot of eevee using it's z-move paired with smeargle. I could see heart swap Magearna being a top contender maybe psych up pokemon like m.meta. I'm personally looking forward to seeing if any unique z-moves are used, there are some cool effects like z-parting shot having a healing wish effect and z-mirror move giving a +2atk.

5 hours ago, Kizhaz said:

That's a cool move. I've seen alot of eevee using it's z-move paired with smeargle. I could see heart swap Magearna being a top contender maybe psych up pokemon like m.meta. I'm personally looking forward to seeing if any unique z-moves are used, there are some cool effects like z-parting shot having a healing wish effect and z-mirror move giving a +2atk.

You cannot use Magearna in VGC, it's a legendary (mythical, whatever) pokemon.

Instruct is pro though, js

Btw if anyone is breeding comps, and has leftovers they'd maybe trade let us know what you have, me and @SirVector have been breeding alot..

I have some leftover Orangurus, Cubones with Hidden Ability/Adamant Nature 5IV & some Timid Snow Warning 5IV Vulpixes. will prolly have more shit in future too

34 minutes ago, Parke said:

Btw if anyone is breeding comps, and has leftovers they'd maybe trade let us know what you have, me and @SirVector have been breeding alot..

I have some leftover Orangurus, Cubones with Hidden Ability/Adamant Nature 5IV & some Timid Snow Warning 5IV Vulpixes. will prolly have more shit in future too

hmu im breeding too bro 

• 1 month later...

It has come to my attention that several players in PSL have trouble coming with resources for teambuilding/meta analysis.

As the only girl with boobs in the Pokemon anime series, I will post a few links that should make sure whoever tries, has where to find the info:

http://www.trainertower.com/ <- your main website, with everything, mainly successful teams used in regional events

http://www.trainertower.com/damagecalc/ <- your cheating device, use it but don't tell darkshade

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/#wcs <- detailed usage

5 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Be sure to use this website and the teams presented there if you end up playing OldKeith. It's good advice I swear. 

Even so, there are far more teams than one's mind can memorize. This way people new to vgc won't be forced to use the world champion's teams (that everyone knows).

3 hours ago, OldKeith said:

It has come to my attention that several players in PSL have trouble coming with resources for teambuilding/meta analysis.

As the only girl with boobs in the Pokemon anime series, I will post a few links that should make sure whoever tries, has where to find the info:

http://www.trainertower.com/ <- your main website, with everything, mainly successful teams used in regional events

http://www.trainertower.com/damagecalc/ <- your cheating device, use it but don't tell darkshade

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/#wcs <- detailed usage

Didn't find eevee in the EV spread list, much dissapoint.