Tweak Obedience levels

Matoka

Question

The concept is fine, genuinely I have no issue with it. But with how hard the gym battles in the new region are I feel (without even intending to) that I am getting abnormally close to hitting the point where my pokemon start self-genociding and I have to avoid any battle like the plague while still feeling weak for every gym battle.

*shrug* Unova is no joke. Possibly give us slightly higher obedience levels per badge?

8 answers to this question

Badges.png

Above is a list of obedience levels per-badge in each region.

The numbers in brackets on the right represent the amount of levels above the highest level of the gym leader you are able to reach before hitting the obedience cap.

Are there any gyms in particular you are struggling with?

The concern with raising them too much is that it then becomes too easy to beat them and undermines the intention of implementing the caps in the first place.#

As you can see, they scale a little bit the further down the game you are, to increase the difficulty.

Just now, Darkshade said:

Badges.png

Above is a list of obedience levels per-badge in each region.

The numbers in brackets on the right represent the amount of levels above the highest level of the gym leader you are able to reach before hitting the obedience cap.

Are there any gyms in particular you are struggling with?

The concern with raising them too much is that it then becomes too easy to beat them and undermines the intention of implementing the caps in the first place.

4th gym Unova felt really tough, she uses really good move coverage and her pokemon are really fast naturally, my starter reached level 30 without any grinding, infact avoiding NPC's quite often for the gym and even with some other mid-20's I just got swept super easily.

I had to gimmick her with a Shedinja from Hoenn to beat her, 3 levels higher than a Gym leaders pokemon on paper seems way too strict. especially when they will just immediately become non-existant pokemon forcing you to re-level something else to replace them if you DO accidentally outlevel them.

It's a catch 20 situation, you want to level higher to beat them to get the next badge to increase your obedience, but they are tough and if you level up too much that pokemon stops existing.
I believe it needs some tweaking. +3 or +2 levels higher than a gym leaders pokemon is far too strict a limit for any gym I believe, except possibly final gyms.

Just now, Matoka said:

4th gym Unova felt really tough, she uses really good move coverage and her pokemon are really fast naturally, my starter reached level 30 without any grinding, infact avoiding NPC's quite often for the gym and even with some other mid-20's I just got swept super easily.

I had to gimmick her with a Shedinja from Hoenn to beat her, 3 levels higher than a Gym leaders pokemon on paper seems way too strict. especially when they will just immediately become non-existant pokemon forcing you to re-level something else to replace them if you DO accidentally outlevel them.

It's a catch 20 situation, you want to level higher to beat them to get the next badge to increase your obedience, but they are tough and if you level up too much that pokemon stops existing.
I believe it needs some tweaking. +3 or +2 levels higher than a gym leaders pokemon is far too strict a limit for any gym I believe, except possibly final gyms.

Would it be possible to see your team also, and perhaps the levels they roughly are per gym if you can remember?

9 minutes ago, Matoka said:

But with how hard the gym battles in the new region are I feel (without even intending to) that I am getting abnormally close to hitting the point where my pokemon start self-genociding and I have to avoid any battle like the plague while still feeling weak for every gym battle.

17 hours ago, Kyu said:

When a party member has reached the cap for disobedience in their region, they will no longer gain levels until a new badge is obtained. They will retain the EXP gained and level-up after a Gym Leader is defeated.

They can't be overleveled if you're not changing regions. It just postpones lv gain until you win.

5 minutes ago, Kyu said:

They can't be overleveled if you're not changing regions. It just postpones lv gain until you win.

Ah, i didn't actually know that since I never let myself get that close. I thought if I reached that point it WOULD level me and then oops, thanks for clarifying.

5 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Would it be possible to see your team also, and perhaps the levels they roughly are per gym if you can remember?

For the 4th gym I used:
30 oshawott
22 yanmask
29 geodude
27 Tropius
24 volt absorb Chinchou
20 Shedinja

For past gyms I can't really recall :( I frequently subbed things out cause I tried to catch a lot as I went, first gym was fine thanks to the free pan-trio member, second gym was a bit tough, Retaliate despite no one having fainted last turn seemed to be doing its bonus damage and may be bugged? they seemed to hit abnormally hard. 3rd gym was actually mostly okay as well.

She outsped and easily beat most pokes, she used Giga Drain on her Voltik to easily kill Geodude / Chinchou and she used Flame Charge / Aerial ace to beat grass types, she really didn't let me use type advantage against her.

Edited by Matoka

Also, side note: I just completed Skyla's gym with maximum level possible starter and let me tell you she spammed Roost on 3 pokemon as much as she could, I wasted 24 turns thanks to that.

Any chance you can tweak the AI to not PP stall for no reason? limit recovery moves to only be usable twice in a row max or something, it got ridiculous when 3 of her pokes had it.
Otherwise it was easy gym

1 minute ago, Matoka said:

Any chance you can tweak the AI to not PP stall for no reason? limit recovery moves to only be usable twice in a row max or something, it got ridiculous when 3 of her pokes had it.
Otherwise it was easy gym

Not really, it acts in the same way that the player would in certain scenarios in an attempt to win.

1 hour ago, Darkshade said:

Not really, it acts in the same way that the player would in certain scenarios in an attempt to win.

I mean, sure, but everyone hates that one kinda person who just recovers 8 times in a row when they know they're still gonna lose because recover has less PP than the attacking move, you are right but I wish you were :c