A critique on 'The Original You' Boss

16 hours ago, Poufilou said:

and made it evolutive - like for example, as the days go by, the boss show new actions or new pokemon,

How would this solve the issue of the non-hardcore players being left out? If this is how the event worked, all those poor noobs who spent their money on Chansey/Togekiss/Blissey would have to find a way to make 3 new Pokemon whenever the boss introduces new moves/mechanics/Pokemon. This suggestion just further separates the people who can afford to breed whatever they need, and those who can't.

I think the event is fine. New players have 2 weeks to breed 3 very common Pokemon, who don't need to be perfect. Experienced players get to farm the boss and make money (Poufilou is shaking) and everyone can fight the gym leaders for profit.

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

I think the event is fine. New players have 2 weeks to breed 3 very common Pokemon, who don't need to be perfect. Experienced players get to farm the boss and make money (Poufilou is shaking) and everyone can fight the gym leaders for profit.

But doesn't this come off as lame to just having players breed an incredibly niche comp that isn't actually usable in most other formats? This is part of the one dimensional strategy complaint of my original post. I'm not saying I want this thing to be beat by someone's first starter with a horrible EV spread, but it's a shame that this boss really can't be attempt-able by anything other than the typical 2 tanks one boosted AOE attack user. It just comes off as the dev team not being confident of creating an interesting boss that can be taken down in a variety of different ways by people's already existing comps.

I took the effort to get the typical Chansey/Bliss/Togekiss team that has been working so well for others and I have a 100% win rate on the boss and generally I still have this complaint. This isn't even a "wah devs I can't beat this thing" complaining sort of post, it's more or less that I find this to be one of the least interesting ways to design a boss of just turning the difficulty slider up all the way where only one strategy works.

5 minutes ago, Raichuforyou said:

I find this to be one of the least interesting ways to design a boss of just turning the difficulty slider up all the way where only one strategy works.

I don't disagree with you, but I'd be lying to say I don't enjoy these events regardless of how repetitive the strategy is. It's one of the few times each year we actually have something going on, and although improvements are always good, I don't feel it's bad enough to warrant throwing out the system & replacing it. Minor tweaks such as untradable medallions as K9 suggested would be interesting, but nobody has really provided solutions to the repetitive problem. 

The main point of my comment was directed towards Poufilou and their everlasting grudge for anyone who has money in PokeMMO, because although you agree a new player with storymons shouldn't defeat an event boss, it seems they are consistently in favor of every feature being accessible to every player, while suggesting ideas that always accomplish the opposite of their goal. 

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

I don't feel it's bad enough to warrant throwing out the system & replacing it.

And balancing this boss works on a spectrum. I never felt like the boss should be removed or deleted, it's just that I feel like it should be accessible enough for most people to bring in a sizable variety of their OU/Doubles/whatever comps while using a variety of strategies and have a fighting chance at beating it, instead of resorting to breed 3 incredibly specific mons to beat it.

I was lucky I already had a Calm Togekiss, a Bliss and the chansey only cost me 200k and an hour of my time to get ready.

Edited by Raichuforyou
34 minutes ago, Paul said:

How would this solve the issue of the non-hardcore players being left out? If this is how the event worked, all those poor noobs who spent their money on Chansey/Togekiss/Blissey would have to find a way to make 3 new Pokemon whenever the boss introduces new moves/mechanics/Pokemon. This suggestion just further separates the people who can afford to breed whatever they need, and those who can't.

If you read the rest of my message instead of making assumptions on my claims, you'd have read that I am very aware of it. There's probably solutions out here to make a more entertaining event out here and I like Kaynine suggestion. 

I like making money and this event has been great for this. But it doesn't prevent me from having  personal thoughts and desires for improvement of my own experience. If you don't want to hear them you are free to ignore them without mentioning some kind of grudge that apparently only you have towards me. 

18 hours ago, Raichuforyou said:

Hi all, I just wanted to make a quick post on this to gauge opinions on what people think of the current state of the boss. While I personally have not fought it myself, I've spent a lot of time just sitting around asking how the boss reacts to certain moves, spectating, and seeing how others have been handling it with various strategies so I don't have to spent the resources myself just to see how it works and reacts to certain moves.

Personally, I am in the camp that I think this boss right now is a little too much, and really only accessible by PokeMMO's hardcore community. I don't even think I'm particularly bad at competitive either, I've broken into the top 100 for both doubles and singles, yet there's just so much theory-crafted ideas that I have thought about using against the boss that just flat out won't work due to some of the mechanics that have been placed on it. There's admittedly a lot of interesting things about the boss- being able to shrug off status, being able to go through Protect, being able to shrug off stat decreases after a turn, retaliating after a death, being given a free tailwind, having "flame' stealth rocks, ect. It's just in my opinion that a various combination of these mechanics on how the boss functions really has made it to where only incredibly niche strategies and comps end up being usable against the boss, and your preexisting knowledge of just how Pokemon works doesn't serve you too handy in the boss fight, hence its inaccessibility.

I understand the need to not have everyone have the ability to beat the boss, however I'm just seeing way too niche and specific of sets- usually revolving around Togekiss using Hyper Voice and buffing it to the max. I'm sure there will be some people that have beat the boss that will say "Just breed a 5x31 Calm togekiss with max EV's in sp def and sp attack for the boss" or suggest other one-dimensional comps or ideas, but this is exactly the point I'm trying to make- I don't think players should have to do this, and I think it certainly makes less people actually get to experience playing and winning against the boss.

I think the nature of people who play this game is extremely revealed on these events (and please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just the way it is). When someone finds a strat for anything (pvp team, event bosses, pve, farming, etc) that is in some way profitable, the rest will follow.

So, I think your complaint is more related with the nature of the community (of people in general) that with the devs, the boss or the game.

Some reluctant player could implement his/her own strats, find new ways to beat the boss. But, a new iteration of the loop will come, people will follow and clone the strategy. Is easier to do what you did, watch and learn. It will result in no losses and (the best part for the most) they don't have to think how to do it by themselves.

Humble opinion...

4 hours ago, Raichuforyou said:

But doesn't this come off as lame to just having players breed an incredibly niche comp that isn't actually usable in most other formats? This is part of the one dimensional strategy complaint of my original post. I'm not saying I want this thing to be beat by someone's first starter with a horrible EV spread, but it's a shame that this boss really can't be attempt-able by anything other than the typical 2 tanks one boosted AOE attack user. It just comes off as the dev team not being confident of creating an interesting boss that can be taken down in a variety of different ways by people's already existing comps.

The boss can be defeated with a lot of strategies. Togekiss + special x, Blissey hyper voice (who can beat him just with 5 randoms mons, yes, u can beat the boss using just 1 mon),  Hydreigon snarl, Whimsicott screens, u can use a lot of walls like blissey, chansey, pory, snorlax, mantine... Can use mienshao, aerodactyl, pelipper...
There are a lot of strategies, but when the community finds the simplest one, it adopts it. Why is someone today going to play with a team of whimsicott hydreigon pelipper, since using a simple blissey they can defeat the boss? Or in the case of a new player, told him "You need a hydre, a whimsi, a mienshao, an aero, a snorlax and a togekiss; or just a blissey that can beat him alone" and lets see what option he chooses. 

5 minutes ago, NagaX said:

The boss can be defeated with a lot of strategies. Togekiss + special x, Blissey hyper voice (who can beat him just with 5 randoms mons, yes, u can beat the boss using just 1 mon),  Hydreigon snarl, Whimsicott screens, u can use a lot of walls like blissey, chansey, pory, snorlax, mantine... Can use mienshao, aerodactyl, pelipper...
There are a lot of strategies, but when the community finds the simplest one, it adopts it. Why is someone today going to play with a team of whimsicott hydreigon pelipper, since using a simple blissey they can defeat the boss? Or in the case of a new player, told him "You need a hydre, a whimsi, a mienshao, an aero, a snorlax and a togekiss; or just a blissey that can beat him alone" and lets see what option he chooses. 

I think you're missing the part of my post where I am saying that this is unfortunately very one dimensional of the boss to be beaten that way. I am not complaining that the boss cannot be beaten.

On 6/26/2022 at 12:14 AM, KaynineXL said:

Buying a load of medallions from GTL in order to obtain the particles, get your alpha Pokemon or simply because it was better money in my opinion makes the event one dimensional because it's only ever worth doing one thing(the gym battles) or the other(the boss fight)

I'm selling them. It's the only profitable, or even doable and accessible task for whoever doesn't have money to SHOP the team for the strategy. Do they even thought that this way we who are farming the medallions are literally farming for the whales who are doing the boss over and over, which are the only people having those limited time objects/pokes AND the very same that would sell the for millions afterwards? Just making them richer with their exclusive pokes with SECRET ABILITIES, a mechanics that should have been implemented for all pokes long ago and that now seems to be possible to reach (having so, a massive advantage) by those who already dominate ranked.

Nice job I say; either they make them untradale, or they just have to make the boss accessible to EVERYONE but you have to actually farm your own damn medals (and I mean everyone, not the smart***es who think they are the majority just because they are circle****ing here on the forum).

1 hour ago, lallo17 said:

And that's for you is the definition of a good strategy or a well balanced event?

I never talked about "well balance", I just reply the original post who said "and really only accessible by PokeMMO's hardcore community".
And yes, its a great strategy, just need 1 (ONE, UNO, JUST ONE) pokemon to defeat the boss, so yes, its a great strategy and everyone in this game can do it. Everyone, even a guy who finished yesterday the storyline can farm 10 leaders, sell chests and bought (or breed) a Blissey to start playing against the boss.

Even yourself who sell medallions because "It's the only profitable, or even doable and accessible task for whoever doesn't have money to SHOP the team for the strategy", come on, even yourself can bought a Blissey and farm it. 

In a game of resources it's normal for newer players to be behind older ones, and that's completely fair imo. As NagaHex pointed out the boss is by no means inaccessible for new players so I can't get the whining about "breeding niche comps" (bold Chansey and calm Blissey are by no means niche). 

I stopped playing the event because the boss is one dimensional and the rest is just a skin for the existing Halloween event, really disappointed in the low effort devs put into the 10 years anniversary we all waited for. 

TL DR: Event is boring 

2 hours ago, lallo17 said:

Nice way to play

A little advice from a veteran of this game: take advantage of the event, even if 20k for a leader chest seems little. After the event, when you need to farm gyms to get 11k per fight and a limited number of duels per day, this 20k will seem like a lot.

There are some people letting people borrow their Togekiss, and 2 chunky wall mons for the event. Even if you lack resources there is someone who wouldn't mind spending a few minutes til you beat the boss. I myself have lent out my first 3 mons so people can get their alphas. Granted I don't have the best Togekiss and it can be very RNG heavy.