Pokemmo Inflation Crisis

Hagene

Question

Hello everyone. The recent Halloween event and a look at GTL has made me think of an underlying problem that may affect the Pokemmo economy in the future. I noticed that we have a ton of ways to bring money into the system, but not many "sinks" to npcs that are super useful with the current game play... Our main money sinks are currently pokeballs, lures, gtl fees, harvesting tools and breeding. Personally I know when I do gym runs I know I can "Print" around 500k a day on one character, and I do not spend nearly that amount when doing anything outside the player economy in even a week. I fear this may cause more Inflation in the pokemmo economy then we already have. The devs have done a fantastic job so far with the economy, however I hope to bring more attention to this because based on the comparison to previous years vanities and many ways of getting yen, not as much is going as far. I understand people buy leppas and vanities late game, but that money is still circulating around the system. I would like to propose we have more npc money sinks, and have some ideas on some sinks that would be both beneficial to the community and economy. These ideas can be tweaked if you all feel its necessary.

1) I feel that a new NPC, the wandering merchant, can be created. This merchant would have tiers of items from common to legendary that he randomly spawns with once per week. This NPC would sell you untradable items ranging from exp candy to legendary lures to something like an exclusive starter lure that works to summon hordes of starters (you use the lure before sweet scenting and have a limited 30% chance of summoning a starter horde until the lure runs out) This could be worth 100k pokeyen or more to help keep starter rarity, and can only be bought one at a time. Due to the untradable nature of the items, they would control overuse. To access rarer items, you could pay to "upgrade" the merchant's caravan which would have a higher chance of rarer items and increase the amount of items the merchant has for sale. This can also be a static encounter that has a fixed location in each region and only shows up once per week or a similiar schedule. This could also include the possibility of doing quests for an npc if we decide to go that route with future post game content.

2) Rare mon zones: while the addition of lures has helped sink money into the system, I feel a more controlled safari zone like environment could be made that would house rare mons on a random cycle like altering cave could be added. Unlike safari zone, you would be able to use your mons and balls but limited to so many steps. Unlike altering cave, it could be one rare mon like a starter each day, and one common mon. Ex cubone+chikorita, totodile+marill.

3) Up the price of safari zone. I know what you all are thinking. Why? Well the problem here is look at the price of breeders for the dragon egg group. The safari zone makes grinding them cheap and provides access to alot of rare mons.

All 3 of these are not going to fix the issue, but I feel they may be a step in the right direction to helping prevent us from going into runaway inflation. If you all want, we can come up a list of different npcs that we would spend pokeyen at on a regular basis to help remove some of the pokeyen from circulation. Thank you for reading!

12 answers to this question

If you want to sink money you should increase costs of things people use everyday like harvesting tools, breeding items, pokeballs, lures or decrease income by nerfing things like gym reruns. I would avoid increasing GTL taxes, because people could just stop using GTL which is kinda happening in small scale with ditto boxes and leppa berries just like they could not use features you proposed.
More unhinged ways to sink money would be fee for boat to change regions, pc healing, losing money when losing to npcs xD

But without data how much money people spend on what we can only speculate

I kinda miss old times when lucky eggs were currency but having money is more convinient

I agree with this suggestion. This opinion is also in line with the results of the study "Inflation Control in Virtual Economies" (Lahti, 2015)
This study shows that the most important factor of better in-game economy is a necessity of trade. If a player earns the most out of trading, instead of generating new wealth, the inflation should stay low. This of course means the economy has to be designed to utilize even the least valuable materials, so no matter how long the players played the game; they have a reason to acquire and consume those goods.

So yes, increasing the prices of important items or items with special features from NPCs can hold back the rate of inflation.

Pokemmo economy is in shambles and i wouldnt know where to start how to fix it. Since 2018/2019 (the server merge) the economy is falling apart a little more witch each day.

Increasing some PvE prices or adding some new special-vendor probably wouldnt do the trick. The problems reach much deeper than that.

Gym Reruns can generate a lot of money out of nowhere. However, there is also people running wild on 20+ accounts planting berrys all days, almost botlike. The interest for vanities dropped to a new low because they literally _flooded_ the market with dozens and dozens of new vanities with each event. Real Bots fishing the crap out of this game and.... there is so much wrong within this economy, i wouldnt even know where to start.

If they really wanted to sort out some major problems, they'd restrict the accounts you are able to use to 1 to begin with. I by myself have 12 different character, alls stacked with gym reruns teams, alpha catch teams and so on, and prepared for events. When there is alpha ditto or similar, you make like 1-2 million in a couple of minutes logging through a crapload of character.
Would hurt alot but ultimatively this is one, if not the biggest reason why there is comming so much money out of thin air. 

Edited by Johnwaynee

Hello I appreciate all of your feedback, I mainly raised this topic because I know this will become a problem in the future and I appreciate the feedback I have been receiving! All of these are good ideas and I wanted to highlight the previous two replies because they have potential solutions that may help.

3 hours ago, Johnwaynee said:

Pokemmo economy is in shambles and i wouldnt know where to start how to fix it. Since 2018/2019 (the server merge) the economy is falling apart a little more witch each day.

Increasing some PvE prices or adding some new special-vendor probably wouldnt do the trick. The problems reach much deeper than that.

Gym Reruns can generate a lot of money out of nowhere. However, there is also people running wild on 20+ accounts planting berrys all days, almost botlike. The interest for vanities dropped to a new low because they literally _flooded_ the market with dozens and dozens of new vanities with each event. Real Bots fishing the crap out of this game and.... there is so much wrong within this economy, i wouldnt even know where to start.

If they really wanted to sort out some major problems, they'd restrict the accounts you are able to use to 1 to begin with. I by myself have 12 different character, alls stacked with gym reruns teams, alpha catch teams and so on, and prepared for events. When there is alpha ditto or similar, you make like 1-2 million in a couple of minutes logging through a crapload of character.
Would hurt alot but ultimatively this is one, if not the biggest reason why there is comming so much money out of thin air. 

Basically some ideas to help counter inflation from this one we can take are to maybe limit the accounts to 1 per email, it would be difficult to enforce a one per device rule that I originally thought of in response because of shared devices between significant others, parents or siblings. I think that you have excellent points and we can maybe come up with a list of potential ideas to help solve the problem and this would be one from a more administrative standpoint.

5 minutes ago, Quakkz said:

You wont fix this by adding to current mechanics imo. You would need a whole new mechanic that people are willed to spent their money on.

tldr: add some kind of housing/teambases that requires rent or other money sinks, ty (pretty common in other mmorpgs)

This is actually a great idea, this could help the economy and provide some post game content for those of us who want a change from the pvp and shiny hunting scenes. Thank you for your input!

I can compile suggestions like these two into a more formal edit to my original post in a week after some more members of the community provide input! Thank you for yall's support!

On 11/24/2023 at 1:30 PM, Johnwaynee said:

Catching Alpha Dittos doesn't print money though, in fact it removes it because of GTL listing fees. They're bought by players, so it's just a money transfer with a fee. The only real problem with having multiple accounts when it comes to the inflation problem is gym reruns/NPCs printing money, everything else is just money transfer between players so it shouldn't affect inflation at all.

18 hours ago, Doctor said:

Catching Alpha Dittos doesn't print money though, in fact it removes it because of GTL listing fees. They're bought by players, so it's just a money transfer with a fee. The only real problem with having multiple accounts when it comes to the inflation problem is gym reruns/NPCs printing money, everything else is just money transfer between players so it shouldn't affect inflation at all.

The fluctuation in this game is big. New player come, farm, leave money somewhere, such like alphas, comps, whatever - and quit or go on a hiatus. 
Almost like priniting money out of nowhere.
Apart from that running gym reruns with a couple of toons is still given.

Edited by Johnwaynee
On 11/23/2023 at 7:29 PM, Hagene said:

1) I feel that a new NPC, the wandering merchant, can be created. This merchant would have tiers of items from common to legendary that he randomly spawns with once per week. This NPC would sell you untradable items ranging from exp candy to legendary lures to something like an exclusive starter lure that works to summon hordes of starters (you use the lure before sweet scenting and have a limited 30% chance of summoning a starter horde until the lure runs out) This could be worth 100k pokeyen or more to help keep starter rarity, and can only be bought one at a time. Due to the untradable nature of the items, they would control overuse. To access rarer items, you could pay to "upgrade" the merchant's caravan which would have a higher chance of rarer items and increase the amount of items the merchant has for sale. This can also be a static encounter that has a fixed location in each region and only shows up once per week or a similiar schedule. This could also include the possibility of doing quests for an npc if we decide to go that route with future post game content.

I think for the upgrade , could be like: 100 RP or 250k, and you buy and upgrade that lasts a full week. You could have more expensive ones like 200RP or 500k for a 15-day upgrade and a 400RP or 1m, to make upgrade lasts 30 days. Like the shields on Clash of Clans, there will be a cooldown after you buy them, at least 2x times bigger than duration of the upgrade. 

Before says: There will be p2w if add things for RP... It won't. The p2w factor was eliminated when the Vouchers got released, now everyone has acess to gift-shop items and are not that hard to get.

They can also make upgrades on the secret bases and let them be public (If owner wishes), this can also generate ways to burn money(buying decorations) and rotate the money(people can sell bases as "stadiums" to host events) as well, so we can make the money of the top 1% richest, be in the hands of the rest of people.

Edited by caioxlive13
4 hours ago, MissSamus said:

There is more sinks than you realize.  A lot of money is taken out of this game daily.  2 years ago prices were way way more expensive.

Precisely today I was thinking about how the current event encourages precisely that, sinking money into poke balls like crazy, be it for the swarms, getting dittos, etc. Those sinks (like Alpha mons) are almost invisible but they probably constitute a big chunk of the inflation prevention mechanisms