[IPS] Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (Updated 9-17-2019)

A chokuto? Nice. The weapon has certainly been improved and feels more threatening than before. :) Not sure about the hair cut though... its darker green shade kind of erases the left eyebrow. Overall, that bandana adds a nice touch and makes it easier to identify the sprite as Nidoking. Might I suggest adding a horn above the bandana though, similar to Rapidash? Other than that, both the left foot and left arm/hand could perhaps use a 5%~10% enlargement, as they currently look rather tiny.

Sorry @Moetal, guess I was a bit unclear in my last post. What I meant was Nidoking's left side, which is faced right due to his battle stance. The size of his right arm/hand (in which he holds his weapon), as well as his right foot, was fine as it was.

I agree with you that purple hair suits Nidoking the best. For Nidoran (M) I'd recommend adding small green spots on his hood, as his upper half looks somewhat single-colored. Do you have anything planned for Nidorino?

I went hunting around for some nice or alternative sprites, and ended up finding quite a lot. The format they're in should make them extremely easy to insert if using Advanced Sprite Editor, since these images were exported using the same program. Some would only be suitable as temporary replacements to their counterparts, but even so worth adding if you deem them more suitable than what we have. I apologise in advance for double or triple posting - image limitations apply to me too~

Ampharos - Simply an alternative. Personally I find this one more adorable.

Z4erRjT.png

Beedrill - Much more dynamic.

W9GA0Jv.png

Cacturne - Overall improvement.

Jrkjvft.png

Claydol - Not as moe, but better made.

CdbWna8.png

Dragonite - Much more dynamic and a bit more moe.

g6ju9Ox.png

Girafarig - Anything is better than our current one. This one's rather nice overall.

JCO0syD.png

Gyarados - Not very moe (neither was the old one), but a better size.

iPeQsFq.png

Heracross - Overall improvement.

NWEboTj.png

Hypno - Still too small, but a minor improvement over the current one.

nk8ia74.png

Ludicolo - More moe and dynamic.

u4NTW4s.png

Lugia - Our current one seems too big and not exactly moe.

IF9q83J.png

Masquerain - better size and better made.

vB29L38.png

Octillery - Still too small, but our current one scares me.

uvek33H.png

Rayquaza - Better size, more moe and better made.

nw2ZJu6.png

Seviper - The darker skin suits her much more given her theme.

qz1ARCQ.png

Part two.

Shuckle - In a tank. Genius.

6kN77LQ.png

Sneasel - Small, but much better made.

PPKmMmZ.png

Snorunt - Small, but has a lot more character. The current one is weird too.

ZC1vMjY.png

Suicune - Better made, but the old one's sword was interesting.

yXKYXI5.png

Ursaring - Better made.

adEqYk8.png

Wailord - Better size, better made, more moe.

Ycu1jHj.png

@Rache

Ampharos is a matter of opinion. I prefer the current one tbh.

Beedrill is better, but we're revamping Weedle line either way. if you want, you can enlarge the lower body of that one and we'll just use that one directly. 

That is Cacnea. I wasn't modding sprites previously. We can mod this one into Cacturne to be used.

Claydol is questionable. Maybe we can copy and paste the face from our current one to this one.

Dragonite has a good pose, but I don't like her design and her face. If you edit it, I'll use it.

That Girafarig is nice, but the current's face is more moe in my opinion. Questionable, again, edit face?

Edit this Gyarados' face/hair and it'll be useable. Otherwise, I rather stick with the current one.

Funny how I swapped in this Heracross then swapped out later because I felt she was really out of place, and the face weren't that good either.

Hypno is still too small and design is poor. I'll use this for now until we get up to that point for revamp.

Ludicolo is indeed more moe and dynamic... but not blonde. I'll swap. You win this time.

Lugia NYI

Masquerain - better size and better made except for the face. Merge the two.

Octillery need revamp, period. Not even gonna bother swapping this. It's equally bad.

Rayquaza NYI

Seviper dsfhdfhdgd fine.

Shuckle - each has their charm. Debatable.

Sneasel - each has their charm. Debatable.

Snorunt - The current one is more moe. Both are pretty bad. Not gonna swap for now. 

Suicune NYI

Ursaring - Better made, but less creative. Debatable. 

Wailord - Better size, better made, more moe, and NYI. Will swap tho.

@Rache

Ampharos is a matter of opinion. I prefer the current one tbh. - Fair enough.

Beedrill is better, but we're revamping Weedle line either way. if you want, you can enlarge the lower body of that one and we'll just use that one directly. - Will attempt it.

That is Cacnea. I wasn't modding sprites previously. We can mod this one into Cacturne to be used. - The rom I ripped these from had it listed as Cacturne and I didn't notice that it wasn't until now. Oh well - will edit it later.

Claydol is questionable. Maybe we can copy and paste the face from our current one to this one. - Will attempt it.

Dragonite has a good pose, but I don't like her design and her face. If you edit it, I'll use it. - Will attempt it.

That Girafarig is nice, but the current's face is more moe in my opinion. Questionable, again, edit face? - Will attempt it.

Edit this Gyarados' face/hair and it'll be useable. Otherwise, I rather stick with the current one. - Will attempt it.

Funny how I swapped in this Heracross then swapped out later because I felt she was really out of place, and the face weren't that good either. - The angle is odd, but overall I'd say it's nicer. Much better made and has character. Will attempt to fix it.

Hypno is still too small and design is poor. I'll use this for now until we get up to that point for revamp. - Fair enough.

Ludicolo is indeed more moe and dynamic... but not blonde. I'll swap. You win this time. Yay~

Lugia NYI - True, but still.

Masquerain - better size and better made except for the face. Merge the two. - Will attempt it.

Octillery need revamp, period. Not even gonna bother swapping this. It's equally bad. - Agreed.

Rayquaza NYI - True, but still.

Seviper dsfhdfhdgd fine. Yay~

Shuckle - each has their charm. Debatable. - Our current one is really plain. This one has creativity~

Sneasel - each has their charm. Debatable. - Our current one is incredibly out of place.

Snorunt - The current one is more moe. Both are pretty bad. Not gonna swap for now.  - Fair enough.

Suicune NYI - True, but still.

Ursaring - Better made, but less creative. Debatable. - Will attempt to make it more interesting.

Wailord - Better size, better made, more moe, and NYI. Will swap tho. - Yay~

Hard to tell which is better without reference.  Also I made a post like this before but pretty much got shot down.

For me, as long as the quality is good, the sprite is usually charming enough for me.  So I tend to weigh pixel quality, which is objective over moeness which is subjective.

@Magi

I said to hold them off until we finish the starters and Dragonite. We can tackle them now, but I still want to work in order to be honest.

Personally, I tend to weight moeness more heavily. After all, what good is a photo-realistic masterpiece sprite of a slice of bacon when we want a sprite of a pig? It's moemon, after all. Quality is still a weighing factor though, so I don't just pick the moe ones only.

@Magi

I said to hold them off until we finish the starters and Dragonite. We can tackle them now, but I still want to work in order to be honest.

Personally, I tend to weight moeness more heavily. After all, what good is a photo-realistic masterpiece sprite of a slice of bacon when we want a sprite of a pig? It's moemon, after all. Quality is still a weighing factor though, so I don't just pick the moe ones only.

1. Fair enough.

2. That's a moot point, we're all talking about moemon here.

@Magi

I'm just exaggerating, but you get what I mean though. A sprite of a character does not automatically make it moemon, regardless of how perfectly executed it is.

Edit: Anyways, how is the Butterfree coming along? Remember to shrink the Metapod as it is only 2 feet tall, while Butterfree is 3 feet tall. They should not be the same size. I personally want to shrink Caterpie (which is 1 feet tall) a lot more, but we can't really afford to reduce it more. For size comparison, Charimander is 2 feet tall while Charizard is 5 feet tall.

@Magi

Well, we have been doing it. We don't have to follow it perfectly, but some expectations should be met. Your Butterfree is roughly the same size of your Metapod, so shrinking it would make it feel more fitting as evolution before it.