[Implemented]Art Contests in GD rather than CM

Topic is self explanatory. Art Contests like Munya's Drawing Cat-astrophe should be able to be posted in General Discussion than Creative Media.

but i guess before you silly banana staffers go "no /thread /closed" 

In the past, Emlee hosted 2-3 (?) art contests as well as some team/group of people that hosted that pokevillain art contest. All of these were posted in General Discussion. All of them had a lot of participation. There were a lot of posters in the thread, whether it was an artist posting their entry or an onlooker commenting on an entry. I don't think it's a stretch to say everyone found them really fun. Buuut, sometime after that, Munya or someone else, i'm a bit fuzzy on the details, hosted an art contest and staff decided all art contests should be held in Creative Media. There was a big decrease in entries and activity in these threads.

[spoiler]Unfortunately, I would pull up some statistics, but I can't because I'm either not searching the right keywords or they're all been hidden in the trashcan or something. [/spoiler]

I propose that these art contests are allowed to be posted in General Discussion again because Creative Media is far too slow of a forum and doesn't attract a lot of views. If moved to GD, these contests would get far more views, which would lend it to get possibly more participation.

I mean in the almost whole month Munya's contest has been up, it's gotten ~691 views.

Taking a look at other GD threads:

• Rap battle (3 days old) has ~734 views, which is a topic that could arguably go in Creative Media's Audio/Video because LOOK AT THAT, it's a contest about people's creative audio.
  • "Can you steal a trainer's items?" is a topic posted 5 hours ago and has ~57 views
  • "Will we ever get gen 2 starters and sudowoodo?" a topic posted 4 days ago has ~734 views, etcetc I could go on.

CM won't ever attract the amount of attention that GD does. The frequent visitors that view CM, as far as I know and can see are:

• people that want signatures or art
  • the people that make signatures or art and post (semi)frequently
  • the friends of the people that make sig/art and post in those artists' thread

If you are worried that these silly art contests that you don't want to look at might clutter up your precious GD, don't be! Art contests are a fairly infrequent thing--by this, I mean that there is generally at most, 1 unofficial art contest going on at any time. If they were posted in General Discussion, all they would do is probably help push some of the 10+ locked threads that actually clutter the GD anyway

So yeah! I think it would be a good and beneficial idea to move art contests to GD.

TLDR;

Pros

+ More attention to contests

+ More attention => More participation

+ Art contests are not frequent enough to clutter GD forum

Cons

- there isn't I guess it's not in its "forum of best fit" but there are other GD threads that could be moved to diff forums

also I know Munya likes the idea of making an Unofficial Art Contest forum in Comp Alley, but I think because of the infrequency of art contests versus tournaments, doing that would be a flop

Another issue I also see for this is that Comp Alley is for competitive discussion, so the artistically minded may not think to look in there and may never get to see the art contests. Just thought I would throw that into the discussion. o/

I mean if the Video Contest is in GD, why not every other creative media competition

Cause devs do what they want.

anyways, I was a little frustrated by the lack of entries/buzz that was generated by Munya's legendary contest, and I definitely think it would have gotten more hits if it were in GD.

I don't know if this would work out, but what if we made a a new section on the forums that is titled "Unofficial Events". Move unnoficial tournaments out from comp alley (which will still have discussion and assistence), and move it to this new section. Not sure if sub sections would be needed (besides archive).

I agree with this suggestion. Really the only people who go in Creative Media are the ones who have shops for sigs/art there or people who are searching for sigs/art. Very rarely to others really go there. Putting these contest in General would probably bring much more attention to it since it is looked at by far more people. I mean you look at the stuff in Creative Media and there are very few posts in a day within the section. Of course, I tend to post a lot within the section myself since I have my own shop, but I would love to see the art contest and writing contest have more participants in general. I love to see the work of others and how creative everyone else can be. Plus in the CM part of forums you can tell which threads people are going to look at within them in the first place due to the popularity they already have in the section and as I already state, most go to find sigs more than anything else in the section.

There definitely was increased participation in the general discussion contest threads compared to what the current (and the last art/writing contest I held) did.  I don't think it would necessarily be a bad idea, and then when the contests are concluded they can still be archived in the art section, though that might be a bit more work for the creative media mod.

There is a creative media section why not use that?

I understand that by having the threads in GD you may potentially have more people participate and create more "hype" but I feel like it sets a precedent for other unofficial events including unofficial tournaments. Could hosts of unofficial tournaments not argue that they want more attention and "hype" for their events as well, therefore also want their threads in GD. 

"But there is already a section for unofficial tournaments"

As there is a section for creative media.

I feel a solution could be however changing "Unofficial Tournaments" to "Unofficial Events" and have Art/Writing contests and all that jazz posted in there as well, especially if there aren't gonna to be that many Art/Writing contests held at the same time, as i think someone said earlier. 

I agree with this suggestion. While art contests definitely make the most sense placed in CM, or even in CA over GD it still seems like the best move here. It would be really great if an exception could be made for art contests, or other contests so that more traffic could be had. I understand you may argue "Well, what about tournaments!?" BUT people who wish to partake in tournaments know exactly where to look. Even myself as someone who is interested in art contests doesn't look at CM for art contests, it's usually just signature request threads. 

I understand that by having the threads in GD you may potentially have more people participate and create more "hype" but I feel like it sets a precedent for other unofficial events including unofficial tournaments. Could hosts of unofficial tournaments not argue that they want more attention and "hype" for their events as well, therefore also want their threads in GD. 

I can understand why you might think that, but I would have to disagree; I feel that tournaments and art contests are two primarily different things. They both might be contests to show off one's skill, but tournaments are done frequently and in game and are fairly quick time wise whereas art contests are infrequent, done only on the forums, and take a lot of time out of the participants. [I know tournament goers take a lot of time to prep their pokemon etc, but your pokemon has re-usability which allows you to enter multiple tournaments with the same pokemon, whereas an artist can only enter a particular entry once.]

If art contests happened everyday for like 4 hours, then I'd understand that it would set a precedent, but since the two things are very separate and very different things, thinking "well art contests are in GD, why aren't tournaments???" isn't a line of thinking I get.

If they were to change Unofficial Tournaments to Unofficial Events, I feel that they would need to make the Unofficial Events a subforum of Official Events and possibly change Unofficial Events to just Events and have it split off into the Unofficial and Official from there. Honestly tho, changing names of forums etc etc seems like a time waster when you can just throw the one or two threads in GD and call it a day. /shrug