[Discussion] Possible RU Tier

I'll get right to the point.

As we see UU stabilize we look forward and onward to the future of NU.

NU is going to have a large list and although it is not confirmed, we can speculate that there will be pokemon moved up. Would it be appropriate to apply an RU tier for the pokemon too strong for NU, but do not fit the usage requirements of UU? 

Between NU and UU there are multiple pokemon that will be too good for NU, but will never see the light of day again in UU (lookin' at you Hitmonchan.) this is simply because they are so well outclassed.

For example:

Hariyama outclasses Hitmonchan.

Discuss.

Regarding the BL/OU system and their size, there is no quantitative reason we could not construct an RU/UU system when the NU tier is implement and usage statistics are analyzed.

It would probably be logical to apply an RU tier.

Forgot to add 2 years from now at the end of that last statement though

Archi are you talking about having a playable tier in between NU and UU or just a banlist? We're obviously going to ban things from NU - thus putting them in UU/BL2, but creating a new playable tier is another discussion.

ITT: People who did not read the thread/OP and realize that Archi was talking about BL2, not an actual RU tier.

Seems like he's talking about RU, seeing as he never metions BL2

NU is going to have a large list and although it is not confirmed, we can speculate that there will be pokemon moved up. Would it be appropriate to apply an RU tier for the pokemon too strong for NU, but do not fit the usage requirements of UU? 

Between NU and UU there are multiple pokemon that will be too good for NU, but will never see the light of day again in UU (lookin' at you Hitmonchan.) this is simply because they are so well outclassed.

ITT: Confusion

Edited by Robofiend

Archi are you talking about having a playable tier in between NU and UU or just a banlist? We're obviously going to ban things from NU - thus putting them in UU/BL2, but creating a new playable tier is another discussion.

Seems like he's talking about RU, seeing as he never metions BL2

ITT: Confusion

He doesn't say BL2, but what he describes as "RU" is functionally identical to what BL2 is. However, people see "RU", and they assume he means a playable format, when he never really implied that at all.

He doesn't say BL2, but what he describes as "RU" is functionally identical to what BL2 is. However, people see "RU", and they assume he means a playable format, when he never really implied that at all.

but but this sentence really makes it seem the other way around:

OK so now we can have a discussion about RU:

My only reason to hesitate about doing RU is that we don't have that many pokemon. Old NU was weird and always seemed pretty monotonous because of how few good pokemon we had. People ran very similar teams for much of NU's history because there were always between 5 and 10 really good pokemon and everything else was pretty much unsuable. Splitting it up even more might be disastrous, even with new additions like Electabuzz moving down from UU. 

What's probably going to happen is we're going to break of the least used pokes in UU and see how NU turns out. If it seems like we still need another tier below it, then maybe we'll make PU or something, but I'm hoping that the usage stats will make NU more of a full metagame and less of a weird lower tier with a lot of stuff needing to be banned up. For instance, Hitmonchan, Kadabra, Sneasel, Fearow, Sandslash, Glalie and Flareon might all end up being NU, while things like Seadra, Tangela and Dewgong would still be in the tier but less common than some of the more offensive options. 

TL;DR we saw that the new UU tier ended up being a lot different from the old one, and it's likely that NU will follow suit. I don't really see a reason to do RU unless players want an "NFE" tier below UU where things like Seadra and Delibird are viable. 

OK so now we can have a discussion about RU:

My only reason to hesitate about doing RU is that we don't have that many pokemon. Old NU was weird and always seemed pretty monotonous because of how few good pokemon we had. People ran very similar teams for much of NU's history because there were always between 5 and 10 really good pokemon and everything else was pretty much unsuable. Splitting it up even more might be disastrous, even with new additions like Electabuzz moving down from UU. 

What's probably going to happen is we're going to break of the least used pokes in UU and see how NU turns out. If it seems like we still need another tier below it, then maybe we'll make PU or something, but I'm hoping that the usage stats will make NU more of a full metagame and less of a weird lower tier with a lot of stuff needing to be banned up. For instance, Hitmonchan, Kadabra, Sneasel, Fearow, Sandslash, Glalie and Flareon might all end up being NU, while things like Seadra, Tangela and Dewgong would still be in the tier but less common than some of the more offensive options. 

TL;DR we saw that the new UU tier ended up being a lot different from the old one, and it's likely that NU will follow suit. I don't really see a reason to do RU unless players want an "NFE" tier below UU where things like Seadra and Delibird are viable. 

Realistically, we wouldn't make a tier below NU, we'd just rename NU to RU and make a tier below it kek.

But the issue with another format isn't the lack of pokemon, although that is a concern, it's that there just isn't a playerbase for it. We already have too many formats; Doubles, OU, UU, soon NU, having a 5th one is pushing the boundary even further. We don't have enough of a playerbase to sustain such a massive amount of formats. Hell, even if we did, I'd much prefer seeing something unique be the 5th format, like Little Cup (best format <3), not just another average format.

There's no need for another tier, and we couldn't sustain it even if there was. No. 

Realistically, we wouldn't make a tier below NU, we'd just rename NU to RU and make a tier below it kek.

But the issue with another format isn't the lack of pokemon, although that is a concern, it's that there just isn't a playerbase for it. We already have too many formats; Doubles, OU, UU, soon NU, having a 5th one is pushing the boundary even further. We don't have enough of a playerbase to sustain such a massive amount of formats. Hell, even if we did, I'd much prefer seeing something unique be the 5th format, like Little Cup (best format <3), not just another average format.

There's no need for another tier, and we couldn't sustain it even if there was. No. 

I more or less agree, although we shouldn't assume that we're always going to have a small playerbase. If we end up wanting 5 tiers I think LC would be a cooler option than a tier that is all NFE + the absolute trash of NU.

how i see it, there is a lot of pokes in NU, the majority can do a very good rol in the duels, and it looks very balanced for now. I think that NU can be a big tier just with all the pokes that arent OU/UU, and still be playable.