[Denied]EV Sliders

Maybe something between will be better. You need to "unlock" ev to slide them. For example you train your magikarp 100 in HP ev and after that you can pick any value for his HP ev between 0 and 100, so there is still ev training thing(and not farming speed/hp to distribute them as you wish) but with option of changing distribution (but there is still problem with useless berrys :s)

Can't we just make Vitamins worth 100/200 each so when berries are implemented they are an useful resource?

It would feel a lot less like a battle simulator and more like a MMO. 

Old EV-Training method is still there for people who like it, and people plant berries daily to have lots of ev-reducing berries, giving a sort-of endgame content.

And Re-EVing a Pokemon costs 5100/10200 so still something but not exaggerated so people can experiment with EVs more, benefitting the competitive scene.

Edited by emperior

Can't we just make Vitamins worth 100/200 each so when berries are implemented they are an useful resource?

It would feel a lot less like a battle simulator and more like a MMO. 

Old EV-Training method is still there for people who like it, and people plant berries daily to have lots of ev-reducing berries, giving a sort-of endgame content.

And Re-EVing a Pokemon costs 5100/10200 so still something but not exaggerated so people can experiment with EVs more, benefitting the competitive scene.

iirc in the past the devs have basically been like "nah" but not explained why they're against something like this - they just say "it's bad because then there's no gameplay for EVs"

Edited by Robofiend

Maybe something between will be better. You need to "unlock" ev to slide them. For example you train your magikarp 100 in HP ev and after that you can pick any value for his HP ev between 0 and 100, so there is still ev training thing(and not farming speed/hp to distribute them as you wish) but with option of changing distribution (but there is still problem with useless berrys :s)

i like this idea.

it would give ev trainers a good way to make money because people would want to have up to 252 unlocked in each stat because we all have OCD, but it also makes it easier for people who just want to be able to change evs on certain pokemon without grinding for identical nature/moveset on pokemon that just have different ev spreads. especially with this new breeding system their needs to be ways to make minor changes since each pokemon takes so much more effort to make

iirc in the past the devs have basically been like "nah" but not explained why they're against something like this - they just say "it's bad because then there's no gameplay for EVs"

Ive seen the "its a part of the original games" argument a couple of times too. Not the best of arguments, but its kinda understandable aswell imo. they are making an MMo based on an existing game, they cant change it too much. 

yeah thought about it aswell but it doesnt really fix the problem with EV-training pokes in the first place. And you would just need to EV train more than before for this to be usefull. But it would be very handy once you finish the grind. +1

• 2 weeks later...

There we go make it impossible for noobs to have a career....since there are few careers out there you want to do away with the ev trainer and the soon to be berry maker all at once :D

Most noobs don't know the difference between evs and ivs lol I would never trust a noob to ev train. The only successful ev trainers really are guys with good reps - and the existence of a fringe "career" doesn't justify keeping a broken mechanic in the game

Edit - not saying I support just implementing sliders - I do think a hybrid system where you can reallocate evs once you earn them is the best solution for now Edited by Gunthug

There we go make it impossible for noobs to have a career....since there are few careers out there you want to do away with the ev trainer and the soon to be berry maker all at once :D

Like Gunthug said - it's not much of a career for actual noobs. I wouldn't trust noobs with my comps, or that they even know how EVs work. The only people who can feasibly make a "career" out of EV training have already played the game for a long enough to build a good reputation.

And even if you brush all of this aside, the average EV trainer's "career" lasts for about a month, because they either burn out or get enough money to retire and pursue a little less mind numbing in-game money farm. Honestly, when grinding 6-7 island gives you close to 100k for an hour's work, it's hard to see why you'd even bother EV-ing for pay - it takes 2-3 times as long and pays half of that.  

Edit - not saying I support just implementing sliders - I do think a hybrid system where you can reallocate evs once you earn them is the best solution for now

But like.. the biggest problem is that EV training is borderline unbearable to start with. 

Granted, I'd like a hybrid sytem too if they replaced the EV gameplay with something a little less monotonous. As of yet, staff has been resistant to all of the suggestions for ways of changing EV training to be more enjoyable, sacking the whole process seems a lot better to me.

What about the storyline? Wouldn't it ruin the whole storyline when you can adjust the EV's and can make your pokemons really OP?  I think the way you have to EV train now is fine. 

The storyline already has a massive hole in it: smart players just get a Gengar as fast as they can and then use it to sweep most of the game. Once you beat all 8 gyms, it's not hard to afford a couple high level pokes that allow you to plow through the E4 without all the hard work.

The storyline already has a massive hole in it: smart players just get a Gengar as fast as they can and then use it to sweep most of the game. Once you beat all 8 gyms, it's not hard to afford a couple high level pokes that allow you to plow through the E4 without all the hard work.

Then I am not smart, cry

Noad's idea is what i like most just so all the evd pokes right now isnt wasted so it wont be much different from the game. Ev slider after you ev your 510. Someone please implement this asap! Comp will be so much better like this, also this thing helps to backfire on scouting, will be much less work but much more fun for the game. Imo its a win-win for everyone if this gets implemented

I feel like, for this to work and not ruin other aspects of the game.  Is to not cut out the ev getting part of re-eving, be it you get them from eving in our current system or some future system that is someday come up with since its been stated eving as it currently is is an awful mechanic.  But, allow the players to "bank" evs.  Such as, you can have a bank of 252 HP evs, attack EV's, whatever.  And when you want to use this slider, have it consume the appropriate amount of berries from the ev's you are taking away from.  You are still putting in the effort but you can re-ev on the fly.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not feel that getting rid of EV training altogether is a good move, for one thing it's canon and I personally like to stick as closely to the original games as possible. I realise there is quite a bit of grind that goes into making competitive Pokemon, however I don't think that EV training should be taken away to fix this. However, after reading your suggestion I thought that this could actually be a neat idea if implemented in a slightly different way. 

I thought that possibly once you have EV trained your Pokemon fully (510 EVs) you could have the option to distribute the EVs you have gathered to different stats if you wish. You would be able to do that as many times as you wish as once you earn an EV it is permanent and you can move it around all the stats as you wish. 

The pros of this are:

• Convenient for the player (however convenient for the player =/= best for the game)
  • A more diverse competitive scene where players can remake their Pokemon at will. This is something that I will always be in strong support of, however not at the expense of gameplay and features. 
  • Reduces grind to make a comp (however as I stated above I do not think that EV training is the underlying issue for this)

The cons of this are:

• There has been talk in previous suggestion threads of the possible implementation of berry growing. If this feature was implemented it would greatly negate the need for the berry feature (EV reducing berries would be redundant)
  • More of a battle simulator rather than an MMO - I know this is usually looked upon as a silly reason but it is something that does need to be taken into account. 

Overall I am not a fan of this idea but I do feel that it brings up a good point that the process of making comps is currently very grind heavy and needs to be addressed. However from the new features I have heard of going into the update (confirmed IVs, higher BP payouts), I am encouraged that the devs are trying their best to tackle this issue for us. 

I personally favour the later generations EV training methods and would love to see that implemented in this game. 

I would also like to add, EV training has also opened up a way to make profit off the game for expanding a collection of comps. You can hire experienced ev trainers. That's how I bought some of my comps back in the day, I EV trained day and night. If you remove EV training, then you're going to remove one of the most profitable markets out there.

Edited by Bestfriends

I would also like to add, EV training has also opened up a way to make profit off the game for expanding a collection of comps. You can hire experienced ev trainers. That's how I bought some of my comps back in the day, I EV trained day and night. If you remove EV training, then you're going to remove one of the most profitable markets out there.

read: 

Like Gunthug said - it's not much of a career for actual noobs. I wouldn't trust noobs with my comps, or that they even know how EVs work. The only people who can feasibly make a "career" out of EV training have already played the game for a long enough to build a good reputation.

And even if you brush all of this aside, the average EV trainer's "career" lasts for about a month, because they either burn out or get enough money to retire and pursue a little less mind numbing in-game money farm. Honestly, when grinding 6-7 island gives you close to 100k for an hour's work, it's hard to see why you'd even bother EV-ing for pay - it takes 2-3 times as long and pays half of that.  

Most noobs don't know the difference between evs and ivs lol I would never trust a noob to ev train. The only successful ev trainers really are guys with good reps - and the existence of a fringe "career" doesn't justify keeping a broken mechanic in the game

Robofiend, on 10 Aug 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:snapback.png

And even if you brush all of this aside, the average EV trainer's "career" lasts for about a month, because they either burn out or get enough money to retire and pursue a little less mind numbing in-game money farm. Honestly, when grinding 6-7 island gives you close to 100k for an hour's work, it's hard to see why you'd even bother EV-ing for pay - it takes 2-3 times as long and pays half of that.  

Gunthug, on 07 Aug 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:snapback.png

I did read the text above, you can do this when leveling up the EVed poke (because some people hate leveling as well), so slap an exp share and start leveling while pay daying trainers. So its extra money you get plus your allowance.