[Denied]EV Sliders

I'm come to a conclusion:

Devs should just sack EV's altogether and implement sliders where the EV's used to be (like in showdown). We already have grinds for event moves, leveling, getting shards, breeding, etc. and there's really no reason to keep this one around. It's bad gameplay and just plain tedious. Here's what such a thing would look like:

3sF3vYI.png

Additionally, EV training limits innovation: if I have a comp with a full EV spread, the last thing I want to do is waste time/$ experimenting with something else. That means that even if specially defensive Scizor is great, a lot of people just aren't going to try it because it's such a hassle to Re-EV a pokemon. That's bad for the game and its a big part of the reason why we end up with stagnant metas- experimenting is just too costly for most people. 

Pros:

- Removes painful time sink and barrier to innovation

- Oh cool, now I can experiment with new EV spreads/make tweaks without spending money etc.

Cons:

- "It's not an MMO if it's not tedious as fuck"

Pls gib non retarded response

Ev training is part of the game...
Are you going to gym in real to move some sliders to gain strengh or condition ?xD

It's not really realistic x]

you go to gyms to win badges not to gain strength or condition

Stahp troll

I do not feel that getting rid of EV training altogether is a good move, for one thing it's canon and I personally like to stick as closely to the original games as possible. I realise there is quite a bit of grind that goes into making competitive Pokemon, however I don't think that EV training should be taken away to fix this. However, after reading your suggestion I thought that this could actually be a neat idea if implemented in a slightly different way. 

I thought that possibly once you have EV trained your Pokemon fully (510 EVs) you could have the option to distribute the EVs you have gathered to different stats if you wish. You would be able to do that as many times as you wish as once you earn an EV it is permanent and you can move it around all the stats as you wish. 

The pros of this are:

• Convenient for the player (however convenient for the player =/= best for the game)
  • A more diverse competitive scene where players can remake their Pokemon at will. This is something that I will always be in strong support of, however not at the expense of gameplay and features. 
  • Reduces grind to make a comp (however as I stated above I do not think that EV training is the underlying issue for this)

The cons of this are:

• There has been talk in previous suggestion threads of the possible implementation of berry growing. If this feature was implemented it would greatly negate the need for the berry feature (EV reducing berries would be redundant)
  • More of a battle simulator rather than an MMO - I know this is usually looked upon as a silly reason but it is something that does need to be taken into account. 

Overall I am not a fan of this idea but I do feel that it brings up a good point that the process of making comps is currently very grind heavy and needs to be addressed. However from the new features I have heard of going into the update (confirmed IVs, higher BP payouts), I am encouraged that the devs are trying their best to tackle this issue for us. 

I personally favour the later generations EV training methods and would love to see that implemented in this game. 

I don't understand why people are saying "it's not realistic" or "it's not going to happen because it's not MMO enough" - that's not an argument, nor is it founded in any sort of reality.

These points do not follow from anything but your own skewed perception of what an MMO is and should be. There's no reason to include any part of a game if it inherently sucks. Don't pretend like we're playing a game that's strictly canonical - we're not and lots of things have changed from the original FireRed. Why EV training still exists in its current form is beyond me.

Noad your suggestion is good but I would like to point out that it's really not much different than what I'm saying: you'd just have to fight a lot more pokemon under your method.

Realistically, if I could just grind to 510 and redistribute I'd just go kill Azumarills in that pond until I maxed out HP and then find something else that's easy to grind: it would make it easier but it's still shitty content any way you cut it.

Anything that requires you repeatedly button mash is just a poor excuse for gameplay in this day and age and it's pretty obvious that such old school thinking about what an MMO "should be" is part of the reason this game can't sustain a consistent, active playerbase: all of the bad parts are justified by the staff as "necessary for an MMO" without any consideration of the fact that they're just artificial time sinks that make the game suck. EV training is the most obvious of these apart from cash grinding.

Addressing Noad's idea (cause I like it better than the OP) and concern about berry planting, I would suggest making the redistribution of EVs come at the cost of berries. Of Course this assumes that the grind for berries is really, really low.

Noad, your idea of being able to re-distribute EVs once you hit 510 sounds awesome... +1

And then?:P Just take Hp and Speed ev, cuz it's pretty fast to achieve and distrubute needed ev's?

I don't mind EV training a pokemon ONCE, then being able to redistribute the EVs later.

Very good suggestion robofiend, i also like Noad's response, Some people, for example do EV training service to help make some cash in the game, so they can breed their comps. Removing the ev training process would be a loss.
I just hope to see this implemented ! keep up the good work !

both Robo's suggestion & Noad's are excellent .. i would love to see either of them implemented ( not that i mind EV'ing my pokemon but being able to redistribute it after i'm done would be an awesome & also would help to make a use for bad ev distribution which happens during story line some times to a good workable pokemons )

i don't even re ev my pokes, i buy new ones.

I mean, at best we wouldn't have to re ev shitty trained pokes from trade chat.

Lel it wouldn't even affect some people probably.

Still, it would be a nice add, but it doesn't change the fact that ev training is boring and takes too long, that is the main issue.

These points do not follow from anything but your own skewed perception of what an MMO is and should be. There's no reason to include any part of a game if it inherently sucks. Don't pretend like we're playing a game that's strictly canonical - we're not and lots of things have changed from the original FireRed. Why EV training still exists in its current form is beyond me.

Simply sliding your EVs the way you like makes little sense, even if I understand that you do not like EV training. Breeding sucks too, and any other form of gringing, so I assume you would want those removed as well? 

Well maybe you're gonna hate me for this but I wouldn't like to see ev training removed I mean if someday gets removed I'll be ok with it cause less work but I still like the feeling of training my Pokemon and MAYBE find a shiny, what I would like to see is better ev training spots with high evolved pokes that give 3 evs without macho brace just like the pond of Azumarrill, I mean I think this is the stat that everyone loves to train cause is easier so I would like the same for atk, def, SP ATK, sp def, speed. This doesn't hurt anyone in my opinion

Well maybe you're gonna hate me for this but I wouldn't like to see ev training removed I mean if someday gets removed I'll be ok with it cause less work but I still like the feeling of training my Pokemon and MAYBE find a shiny, what I would like to see is better ev training spots with high evolved pokes that give 3 evs without macho brace just like the pond of Azumarrill, I mean I think this is the stat that everyone loves to train cause is easier so I would like the same for atk, def, SP ATK, sp def, speed. This doesn't hurt anyone in my opinion

I agree with most of what you have said except the shiny part :) isn't it enough 4 u now with the humongous breeding grind to give you more than a chance ? i think if they didn't adjust the shiny rate along side with the breeding update the server would be a shiny park by now XD.

I don't like the training process very much but i wouldn't hate it either and i would like a way to redistribute my EVs very much also. so all in all it is a nice idea with some tweaks.

Edited by Yugi

Simply sliding your EVs the way you like makes little sense, even if I understand that you do not like EV training. Breeding sucks too, and any other form of gringing, so I assume you would want those removed as well? 

I'm actually not as opposed to breeding, it requires some thought and creative energy to come up with a smart way to breed things and get the IVs you want (unless you're an autist going for 5x31, then rip). It's not grinding in the same sense that EV training is.

Removing EV training altogether is a bit of a "fuck you" to everyone who actually did it for their comps if just out of nowhere EV sliders are a thing. A little modified though I like this suggestion. Let's say you pay like 20k to a NPC it allows you to activate these EV sliders on your Pokemon allowing you to change them whenever you want. I agree what Robo said, especially changing EVs is so tedious and results in a stagnant metagame then I think EV sliders would really be a good thing for the competitive community but everyone who took their time to EV wouldn't feel like all their work is lost for nothing if you needed to pay a small fee to activate the EV sliders.

Vitamins are just bad, just saying.

Removing EV training altogether is a bit of a "fuck you" to everyone who actually did it for their comps if just out of nowhere EV sliders are a thing. A little modified though I like this suggestion. Let's say you pay like 20k to a NPC it allows you to activate these EV sliders on your Pokemon allowing you to change them whenever you want. I agree what Robo said, especially changing EVs is so tedious and results in a stagnant metagame then I think EV sliders would really be a good thing for the competitive community but everyone who took their time to EV wouldn't feel like all their work is lost for nothing if you needed to pay a small fee to activate the EV sliders.

Vitamins are just bad, just saying.

Building upon Vitamins, if they were instead to let us choose how many EV's we want on a stat after a single use instead of using 26 of them to get to max EV's on a stat, then they would be useful. Of course if something like this were to happen, I would assume they would cost more as well as wiping the vitamins currently in our bag down to 5 or something (similar to the money update).

One other thing that I ought to mention here is the suggestion that we should have a system for EVs to pass from mothers/fathers (player picks) to children, so you could rebreed comps without sacking all that time on an EV spread. I'd rebreed half of my comps currently if it weren't for the tedium I'd have to endure to re-EV all of them.

This could combine with the EV slider once you hit 510 to let you rebreed a comp (not free, not eliminating EV training) and then give it a new set with minimal time/energy investment - essentially giving you the "simulator" effect of being able to change your nature/set/ivs without having to totally start from scratch or get everything for free.