[TC Policy Discussion] Suspect Thread Polls

Alright, alright, I know what you're thinking..

"Those fuarking plebs don't know what they're talking about"

"This isn't a democracy!!!!"

But I kinda think it'd be a good idea to get polls on Suspect Threads in hopes of seeing where people stand. I don't know if these would (or should) be included in reasoning for or against a ban but they might actually help for gauging community opinion.

Pros:

We get to know what people are thinking in cases like the current Gengar test, where no one's really making an argument

Plebs who don't English very well have a way of coming forward.

Cons:

Plebs being like "Look! A majority of people want this so OBVIOUSLY it's the right thing to do" 

Fuarkin plebs

Debate it.

Do you mean full community choice?

Personally I think it would be fine to try (don't kill me) 4 votes. One for the community poll and the rest for the 3 respective council members. Yea 4 is an even number Craig, why r u dumb. Well Craig thinks that a suspect test is pretty huge. Testing a Pokemon by testing it shouldn't be taken lightly and I think a system where the ban will happen if the overall vote is 3/4 or 4/4 would be the safest. I think a test bans magnitude warrants a bigger margin, not a split vote or something.

Also if the voting system is going to be implemented there needs to be a time in the discussion where we go "alright this isn't going anywhere, I think it warrants a vote." I think we need a general idea of when that is.

Personally I think it would be fine to try (don't kill me) 4 votes. 

Personally I think you're a uguu for even thinking this.

Senile is rolling over in his grave right now.

Ok so it's not the worst idea ever. But realistically what do we do in case of a tie? And this would probably require Noad taking on the additional responsibility of tallying votes, which I'm sure she doesn't really feel like she *needs*

Edited by Robofiend

So part of my problem with giving the community a vote is that it is giving the illusion that we are taking power away from the community. Let me explain. Right now, the council members are supposed to represent the community and enforce whatever conclusion is made. However, by creating a 4th, separate vote for the community, it's like saying "hey, there's us... and then there's you guys, and you only count for one vote out of 4! Hah!". And I think that is how it will be received, most likely.

how about,

council gets 3 votes and the community gets 2? that way there is no way for a tie unless someone undecided, and then throw in a qualifier of "you must have gotten to 3rd round in tourney of that teir" to vote. each player who has fulfilled the requirements will post in thread with their vote (with the mods hiding post form those without the requirements) then the tally will be counted up within a time period and the council will vote. the council will be able to outvote the comunity butonly with a majority. 

or something like that.

Keep in mind that any scheme you guys cook up for player qualifications is going to fall on Noad to enforce (although it doesn't seem too difficult). I'd prefer a system that has a built in tiebreaker to one that has none. For instance, we could split community votes depending on how much the plebs themselves agree:

Pct of comunity vote in favor : Votes

0-40 : none

40-60 : 1

60-100: 2

This system is cool because it gives us more possible outcomes than just giving them 2 votes based on the majority, and it's inherently a little more balanced, imo. I don't know if I can support a community voting system that gives the masses 2/5 votes without the possibility for splitting, because then all it takes is 1 bad or selfish TC member and community support to block bans from going through. 

So part of my problem with giving the community a vote is that it is giving the illusion that we are taking power away from the community. Let me explain. Right now, the council members are supposed to represent the community and enforce whatever conclusion is made. However, by creating a 4th, separate vote for the community, it's like saying "hey, there's us... and then there's you guys, and you only count for one vote out of 4! Hah!". And I think that is how it will be received, most likely.

Interesting perspective, that's something think on.

I dont like giving the community the chance to vote for the reasons barrage mentioned before. However i would like and find interesting to have polls made in discusions threads just to know what the community thinks and to give us some food for thought. I cant find any cons to this. This way we dont make the community do our job while we get a general idea about what the majority of them think.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with this. I think the best option would be to include a poll which will help us as a council make our own individual votes. That way it provides further evidence that we are hearing the community and giving them a voice in the matter of bans and such. 

• 2 weeks later...

Poll added to the Gengar thread.

Question: Do we want polls added to all future discussions to get a community input on each Pokemon? The potential issue of this is that once people vote they may not bother posting which would lead to pretty dead discussion threads. Perhaps a thread needs to be open for a certain amount of time before we add the poll?

Discuss o/

Poll added to the Gengar thread.

Question: Do we want polls added to all future discussions to get a community input on each Pokemon? The potential issue of this is that once people vote they may not bother posting which would lead to pretty dead discussion threads. Perhaps a thread needs to be open for a certain amount of time before we add the poll?

Discuss o/

I really like this idea of voting after the discussion.

well "after" the discussion is after tier council has made a decision, so I don't really think that works

I meant "discussion" as in "some feed back from the community". 

After a certain time, a thread becomes quiet and voting results can actually revive the discussion XD

• Munya pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.