[Denied] Alternative to bans

Everyone has a Pokemon they like using, a Pokemon they feel was unfairly banned, a Pokemon they might just like or want to breed but they see it has a suspect thread in the competitive alley so they refrain from doing it. Bans tend to be controversial and even unpopular, the Gengar ban had a 30% of the forum using community actually support it yet it was banned anyways causing people in game to complain endlessly about it.

Now here's my idea, instead of limiting pokemon to tiers, if they are too overwhelming why not lower their levels below 50 when used in tournament mode?

Calcs show that Salamence puts a massive chunk of damage on most things but what if instead of it being a level 50 Salamence vs a level 50 Venusaur it was a level 40 Salamence against a level 50 Venusaur. The levels where these pokemon would be considered "balanced" would be decided by the councils.

Thoughts?

What comes to "unfair bans" and not being allowed to use the Pokemon they want, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ubers. Seriously, do it. You're not caring about a competitive metagame, you're caring about that you can use a Pokemon you want. Go play Ubers and this dream is fulfilled.

What comes to the actual suggestion: It's no longer competitive play. First of all it just seems off, different Pokemon being different level. Just meh. Also it takes away the whole teambuilding, calculating and so on. It's no longer competitive play. It's fun play.

I know after playing Showdown Random battles it might seem like a fun idea to play a mode where Pokemon are balanced between others but it just isn't competitive play. Now, honestly I don't mind if they implemented some additional "balance it all mode". It can even be fun. But tournament mode should be reserved to competitive play.

Everyone has a Pokemon they like using, a Pokemon they feel was unfairly banned, a Pokemon they might just like or want to breed but they see it has a suspect thread in the competitive alley so they refrain from doing it. Bans tend to be controversial and even unpopular, the Gengar ban had a 30% of the forum using community actually support it yet it was banned anyways causing people in game to complain endlessly about it.

Now here's my idea, instead of limiting pokemon to tiers, if they are too overwhelming why not lower their levels below 50 when used in tournament mode?

Calcs show that Salamence puts a massive chunk of damage on most things but what if instead of it being a level 50 Salamence vs a level 50 Venusaur it was a level 40 Salamence against a level 50 Venusaur. The levels where these pokemon would be considered "balanced" would be decided by the councils.

Thoughts?

I hate to break it to you, but this suggestion is a waste of time for the devs. Why not just axe the poke all together and move on? (at least that is what I do). Ask any experienced comp player (such as OldKeith, DoubleJ, Frags, etc) and they would probably say the same thing.

Why did I say that "this suggestion is a waste of time?"

Answer: Because, if you go in the competitive circles, people breed for a new comp almost EVERY day meaning that people can quickly adjust to the new meta. Plus, the devs have to focus on the upcoming updates.

But, I am not wealthy and I must use my comps!

Answer: Do the money grind, pay day, sell some stuff and you can become wealthy (not quickly though, but for a decent comp which in breeding terms could cost ~ $200K - 400K)

I am going to take a portion of what Orange has stated, "Ubers. Seriously, do it. You're not caring about a competitive metagame, you're caring about that you can use a Pokemon you want. Go play Ubers and this dream is fulfilled" (OrangeManic, Comment 2).

What Orange is saying is that there is already a tier dedicated to that play style.

[spoiler]I do apologize for saying "waste of time", that was untactful of me, but there is no other way to say it.[/spoiler]

Would this be considered a complex ban and wasn't that sort of thing said no to?

Not really a same thing. Complex ban is when you ban an ability or move or something of a certain Pokemon to hinder its performance. This is just a way to try to balance out all the Pokemon between each other. This would will still allow all Pokemon to be used and it would actually be handier balancing than complex bans but this just doesn't sound too mlg pro suggestion be taking seriously as a competitive playmode. I can still appreciate the idea behind of trying to make Pokemon equally balanced, though.