[NU Discussion] Ampharos

8 members have voted

1. 1. Ban

• Yes
    • No

Ampharos has been a top-tier threat in NU for most of the existence of the tier. Its great bulk, special attack stat, useful ability and typing allow it to effectively check many NU pokemon. Static allows it to paralyze the tier's threatening Physical sweepers (Scyther especially) and Heal Bell and Light Screen add to its support capabilities. However, despite its awesome abilities as a supporter, it also shines on offense, where its near perfect coverage and surprise Hidden Power turns many would-be checks into bait. While Gligar, Nidoking, Roselia, Camerupt and Whishcash all resist or take neutral damage from the standard Signal Beam + Thunderbolt combo, all of them can easily be baited or worn down by Agility sets, HP Ice/Water/Grass, or Ampharos can simply evade them. In particular, the Tiering council recognizes that Blastoise plays a large part in stopping these pokemon from being effective - however it is clearly less of a threat to the development of the metagame than Ampharos.

As such, the Tiering Council has voted to ban Ampharos (5-2) for being centralizing and unhealthy for the tier. Players have long complained that Ampharos requires them to focus too much energy on having something to check it, and not enough energy on other threats, as well as violating the "keeping broken pokemon around to check other broken pokemon" rule. If anything, it's clear that Ampharos is very close to being "too good not to use" as it is cosistently used on more than half of teams. It's also clear that Ampharos has a large effect in checking other potent attackers like Golduck, Xatu, Blastoise, and Haunter - we believe that each of these pokemon will need to be watched and evaluated in the coming weeks and we will be evaluating the possibility of quickbans as needed.

Edited by Robofiend

Alright, even though after thinking I voted for no I agree the content of Robo's post but I find it better if he posted his own post.

This can be posted after Orange has given it a read and okayed it. Also I would like whoever hasn't voted to vote (pls add option to see this next time) and have the vote count added to the post.

So I'm good to post this in the community thread?

This is just a nitpick with the wording rather than a problem with the content itself.

Ampharos has been a top-tier threat in NU for most of the existence of the tier. Its great bulk, incredible special attack stat, useful ability and awesome typing allow it to effectively check a huge amount of NU pokemon - making it useful in checking a huge amount of pokemon.

The bolded section has some redundancy issues~

• Munya pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.