PU Tier

Havsha

Question

Not sure if it has been suggest before, I couldn't find anything, I suggest that we implement a PU Tier. This would add another tier in which the stall meta new, more entertaining competitive battles can take place. As well as giving people an "excuse" to use weaker Pokemon, that may not be able to stand up against the top S & A Rank Pokemon.

Thoughts?

15 answers to this question

Well first of all, I think PU should be unofficial tier to begin with. NU tier is already in a constant change because every tier modification in higher tiers causes naturally a change in the NU tier. I think the cutoff point should be the 4.36% we use in every tier so Pokemon under 4.36% usage are PU. It might seem like a low cutoff point but there are honestly still plenty of Pokemon under that. I think every PU tourney should be made by taking the current usage table of NU and allowing everything under that usage. It could be fun for sure, yeah. But like I said, I don't think it's a great idea to make it an "official" tier. I had in mind to host some PU tournies by this idea but I didn't have time I was too lazy.

I taught of this a while back, Id be down for that, since NU currently has the most pokemons BY far, more than ubers OU UU combined wich is really alot. And some of them get no love what so ever. This could be a good gimmick tier for the passionate of gimmicks also will remind old NU players of their favorite tier before it became flooded with some would consider OP mons. 

Anyhow, this would not affect anything that has been done to tiering and would just give more opportunities for a new tier and change, could also replace the petitcup tournaments wich happen like twice a year, but could be played on a more constant basis like once a month or something. 

I'd say its better to turn the current NU into RU, then make the lower tier NU, since it makes slightly more sense just based off definitions. Once we have updated NU usage stats, would be interesting to see what pokemon fall under the 4.36% cut off. I think it would be a somewhat viable tier that wouldn't just be like the old NU we had, but it would most likely still be centralized around a section of pokemon regardless. 

Maybe in the future this could be possible. At the moment I wouldn't like it though.

soo when I told you about this couple months back it was a bad idea that would never happen? and now that someone you don't despise proposes the same idea you think itll be possible? THE BIAS IS REAL.

I'd say its better to turn the current NU into RU, then make the lower tier NU, since it makes slightly more sense just based off definitions. Once we have updated NU usage stats, would be interesting to see what pokemon fall under the 4.36% cut off. I think it would be a somewhat viable tier that wouldn't just be like the old NU we had, but it would most likely still be centralized around a section of pokemon regardless. 

isnt every tier centalized over the same groupe of pokemon doe? Thats why we have tier council, to make it that the centralized pokemons are delt with.

soo when I told you about this couple months back it was a bad idea that would never happen? and now that someone you don't despise proposes the same idea you think itll be possible? THE BIAS IS REAL.

It's still a bad idea; I said it may work in the future. Times change.

Edited by DrCraig

isnt every tier centalized over the same groupe of pokemon doe? Thats why we have tier council, to make it that the centralized pokemons are delt with.

You basically go on a banning-spree if you ban everything that's centralizing(sorry, dealt with, not banned*), because that will always be a thing, no matter what. Which is what zebra said I'm pretty sure.

Either way, yeah, if this happens, don't make it PU, make NU be RU/LU and then the new tier that's supposed to be PU, can be NU, again, as zebra said.

Aaand maybe while you're at it, select the pokemon that are LC tier and categorize them too.

Centralization was a bit more evident in old NU when everyone ran the same ~9 Pokemon and stuff like sableye+seadra were at very high usage (assuming there were usage stats ever). Also I said that because there's a 90% chance that stuff like beautifly will still be unusable in a lower tier

Not sure if we have the competitive player base to support an additional tier right now. Look at the disasters with the recent pokedaily revival,

pokedaily isnt working because staff are doing a better job with tournaments than they used to when pokedaily was a thing.

+ theres psl that came along afterwards soo pokedaily isnt appealing like it used to. 

If you can fill a 32 man bracket of little cup pokes you can fill this tier up anyday of the week imo. Make it happen.