Is there a reason Fake Out doesn't work against Giratina?

Currently making a guide on how to defeat Giratina, but the move Fake Out did nothing to him. Before you go on to state the obvious, the Pokemon I used was Kangaskhan with the ability Scrappy (allows me to hit Ghost-type Pokemon, such as Giratina). I have video footage of it, as well. Is there a reason why Fake Out doesn't work against him?

This battle occurs in "boss mode", which grants the boss resistances and immunities to certain strategies that would otherwise trivialize it. Fake Out's guaranteed flinch is included here as taking an entire turn away from the boss with only 1/3 of your turn is far too powerful.

While this doesn't matter too much for mandatory storyline fights, it matters a lot more in other places where this type of battle occurs like the Halloween event, which features a very difficult boss fight which is repeatable for rewards. With the series being designed around 6v6 battles, a lot of extremely crippling statuses and effects are normally balanced by the presence of other teammates. When designing a battle against a single powerful enemy, some changes need to be made to prevent players from cheesing them.

5 minutes ago, Rache said:

This battle occurs in "boss mode", which grants the boss resistances and immunities to certain strategies that would otherwise trivialize it. Fake Out's guaranteed flinch is included here, as taking an entire turn away from the boss with only 1/3 of your turn is far too powerful.

While this doesn't matter too much for mandatory storyline fights, it matters a lot more in other places where this type of battle occurs like the Halloween event, which features a very difficult boss fight which is repeatable for rewards. With the series being designed around 6v6 battles, a lot of extremely crippling statuses and effects are normally balanced by the presence of other teammates. When designing a battle against a single powerful enemy, some changes need to be made to prevent players from cheesing them.

Okay, that makes sense. I just wish I knew that before I made my guide because now it may have been a waste of time.

45 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Not to discourage you, but it is a little odd to be making a guide on something you have not yet achieved yourself.

I like this idea. Some people get too excited on teach something that didn't achieve before or are just on beginning.

@Bestfriends Would you like to write some clearance to Taokome? I believe you might  have nice thoughts on that, as you usually are on guides writing.

8 hours ago, MightyMichele said:

I like this idea. Some people get too excited on teach something that didn't achieve before or are just on beginning.

@Bestfriends Would you like to write some clearance to Taokome? I believe you might  have nice thoughts on that, as you usually are on guides writing.

Usually before drafting a guide, there is a lot of research that is involved. Sometimes I research the topic for months prior to the construction of certain topics.

If you are struggling with Giratina, then here are some pokemon to invest in....

1. Bisharp

Nature: Adamant

IVs: +25 HP/31 Attack/+25 Defense/-- Special Attack/+25 Special Defense/31 Speed

EVs: 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed

Moves: Night Slash/Brick Break/Iron Head/Swords Dance

Item: Expert Belt

Ability: Defiant

2. Absol

IVs: +25 HP/31 Attack/+25 Defense/-- Special Attack/+25 Special Defense/31 Speed

EVs: 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed

Moves: Night Slash/Close Combat/psycho cut/Swords Dance

Item: Razor Claw

Ability: Super Luck

3. Haxorus

IVs: +25 HP/31 Attack/+25 Defense/-- Special Attack/+25 Special Defense/31 Speed

EVs: 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed

Moves: Dragon Claw/Crunch/Earthquake/Swords Dance

Item: Dragon Fang or Expert Belt

Ability: Mold Breaker

Your goal is to hit Giratina quick and hard before the move Miasna is used. This could even mean bypassing the move Swords Dance to do straight damage (that shouldn't be a problem considering that Haxorus has a high base Attack Stat). If one of your pokemon ever goes berserk, then switch! Let your other teammates wither down Giratina's health until it is about to faint. If one of your teammates faints (or the HM Slave you switched out the berserk pokemon into faints), then go back into that pokemon and finish up the floating Ghost/Dragon Type!

This is why I advise for people to do Sinnoh last. Do Kanto, Hoenn, and Unova first (and when Johto is implemented, do that as well [unless the Gyarados fight at Lake of Rage becomes a Boss Battle]). Once all of those regions are done, then it would be good to strategize about how you want to tackle Sinnoh (or Johto). Sinnoh is the only region that you have to go in with a gameplan in mind. For this, consult with either @MightyBoxer or @RysPicz for a more suggestions before jumping into Sinnoh (or Johto). If you do not have both of these talented guys on speed dial, then feel free to watch my Sinnoh Walkthroughs as I had done research on Sinnoh prior to recording the series.

I should note that, @Rache provides excellent details from under the hood of Giratina. She is a hero!

On 3/24/2023 at 6:44 AM, Rache said:

This battle occurs in "boss mode", which grants the boss resistances and immunities to certain strategies that would otherwise trivialize it. Fake Out's guaranteed flinch is included here as taking an entire turn away from the boss with only 1/3 of your turn is far too powerful.

With this in mind, do not run anything with Scrappy and Fake Out in your playthrough against Giratina. Go in with a strong team! I can leave you to your own devices in terms of strategizing a team. All the best with your journey @Taokome!

Spoiler

Plus Kangaskhan got power crept out. So, it may not be a good idea to relay on it for any meaningful region clearing.

On 3/26/2023 at 2:46 AM, Darkshade said:

Not to discourage you, but it is a little odd to be making a guide on something you have not yet achieved yourself.

I beat Giratina back in 2021. I made an alt for 2 reasons, one of them was trying to figure out how to make Giratina easier to beat for newer players seeing as they will be expecting Giratina's battle to function the same way as it does in the vanilla games.

Edit: It's a bit rough when you're thrown into the deep end while only knowing how to swim in shallow waters. 

Edited by Taokome
On 3/26/2023 at 3:34 AM, MightyMichele said:

I thank both of you, but I was able to beat Giratina 2 years ago. I just wanted to help newer players with a simple, efficient, and inexpensive strategy that will speed up the process of the fight, or at the very least, make it less tedious.