Roaming Legendaries FAQ

Damian

10 minutes ago, DOOM said:

i've been looking for raikou for 12 hrs uninterrupted with single encounters all the time and he hasn't come up, i didn't see anyone in the chat who had both legendaries with the same OT in that time span either. thank you very much.

That amount of hours doesn't mean much. I spent 8 days while looking for 6-8 hours a day until I found my suincune and I have some teammates who took longer. But I agree that the fact that I haven't seen anyone with both is weird.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:16 AM, caioxlive13 said:

Wdym? Lure doesn't increase the chance of it founding or the encounters extra maked by lure is ignored when system determine if the encounter will be replaced by suicune/raikou/entei or not?

Updated for clarity; what I meant was that using Lures doesn't affect the encounter chance. It will obviously increase the rate at which encounters happen.

On 9/2/2023 at 12:32 PM, LeZenor said:

I think the fact that it hasn't already happened yet is a pretty alarming. I get that Raikou has only been made available yesterday but given pokemmo current population, I cannot fathom the fact that no player has encountered and caught both of them yet. The odds of that being the case seems ridiculously low. I could still be wrong though

On 9/2/2023 at 1:00 PM, DOOM said:

i've been looking for raikou for 12 hrs uninterrupted with single encounters all the time and he hasn't come up, i didn't see anyone in the chat who had both legendaries with the same OT in that time span either. thank you very much.

Apologies guys, I was mistaken on this one and it was in fact a bug. It has since been fixed though.

1 hour ago, Damian said:

Updated for clarity; what I meant was that using Lures doesn't affect the encounter chance. It will obviously increase the rate at which encounters happen.

Apologies guys, I was mistaken on this one and it was in fact a bug. It has since been fixed though.

thanks, no problem 🙂

I bring new confirmed information from Munya.

It turns out that you can only obtain rainbow quills when you capture the monthly legendary.

In other words, now, until you capture Raikou, you won't be able to get rainbow quills. Next month, even if you capture Raikou, you won't be able to receive rainbow feathers until you capture Entei.

image.thumb.png.77cd37600715e833b16af403826706ac.png

On 9/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, Aidos said:

The chance of encountering gets a reset every month?

Let's say I catch or kill/flee a raikou, does it increase my chance to find a Entei? 

I want to know the same thing. As a more casual player, I can't add in hunting for the dogs at 6+ hours/week on top of completing a gym rerun. I'm fine doing less but if the number of encounters resets each month, I don't feel any hope of finding any of the beasts each month.

Additionally, although not able to encounter beasts in caves, water (regarding Entei and Raikou), or Safari Zone, do encounters in these areas count towards the encounters needed to encounter one of the beasts? 

Details in case my question/comment above doesn't make sense:

September's beast is Raikou. I just fought Ho-oh and can now encounter Raikou. So, about 3 hours/week I do single encounters. After 4 weeks, I've worked 12 hours on single encounters to find Raikou. At about 200 encounters/hour, this adds up to about 2400 encounters/month. If I don't encounter a Raikou within these 2400 encounters, will they be counted towards hunting Entei in October? Or does each irl month reset this encounter counter, and I lose out on all of that effort?

To avoid wasted effort, I would propose two options:

1. Consecutively roll-over the encounters from month to month. Continuing my example above, I start at 2400 encounters for Entei, and now can continue my 3 hours/week search for a legendary beast, without nullifying my hunt for Raikou. Again, I don't encounter Entei in October, the encounters continue to add up until I encounter any three of the beasts. If it takes me a few months of these casual searches to find a single beast, I'll be happy. Just so long as the encounters don't reset. This would probably limit the number of beasts in the game compared to option two below.

2. Allow for these encounters to "reset" from month to month, but retain them for each specific beast. So, 2400 encounters towards Raikou in September 2023, but no encounter of Raikou. Encounter resets in October 2023 to go towards Entei. November resets encounters and now the encounters go towards Suicune. December 2023 comes around and Raikou is again the beast available. My 2400 encounters are remembered by the game and roll-over from September 2023 to December 2023 to make finding Raikou easier/sooner and possible for a more casual player. I think this system would reward the more committed players that put in more hours each month, can obtain more of these legendary beasts, profit from selling or creating more PvP teams that include the beasts, etc. More committed players will also have more time to farm Rainbow Quills where the more casual player may not. But casual players may still obtain the beasts on a timeline reasonable for their real lives.

Obviously, I don't know how things work so I would like some clarification on that. But I also wanted to propose options that could allow all casual players to participate in obtaining beasts without changing how the system already seems to work.

Advocating for all casual players everywhere that love the game but can't commit more time to it. Love Pokemmo and everything the developers do to create an awesome experience and those that create an incredible community.

Edited by Quinzy18
Adding to a question
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 2:57 AM, Quinzy18 said:

do encounters in these areas count towards the encounters needed to encounter one of the beasts? 

If I don't encounter a Raikou within these 2400 encounters, will they be counted towards hunting Entei in October? Or does each irl month reset this encounter counter, and I lose out on all of that effort?

Like shinies, the roll to encounter a dog beast is independent each time. Suppose that for the sake of argument the chance to encounter it is 1/5000 (I don't know if this is true). Every time you start a battle, imagine rolling a 5,000-sided die. If you roll the number 5,000 exactly, you encounter your monthly dog beast. If you roll any other number, it's just a normal encounter.

With this understanding, I would ask: If you roll the die 2,400 times in month 1, then in month 2, what's the chance that you roll a 5,000? Even if you rolled 2,400 times, the chance that you roll a 5,000 on a 5,000-sided die is still 1/5,000. So there's no way for the encounters to "accumulate". This is also true for shiny hunting. Doing more encounters does not increase the chance, it just increases the number of trials you've done in an attempt to get the outcome you want.

I hope this clarifies.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, kenjimAd said:

Question! If i Killed a Shiny Suicune, will it be Comeback as Shiny & Old Guide too or something else?

On 9/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, Damian said:

...like alphas, the shininess is rolled on the first encounter and fixed afterwards for subsequent encounters.

It should be reencountered as shiny,. I hope you're game enough to try it 🙂

On 13/10/2023 at 4:28, Damian said:

Al igual que los shinies, la tirada para encontrar una bestia perro es independiente cada vez. Supongamos que, por el bien del argumento, la probabilidad de encontrarlo es 1/5000 (no sé si esto es cierto). Cada vez que comiences una batalla, imagina tirar un dado de 5000 caras. Si sacas exactamente el número 5000, te encontrarás con tu bestia perro mensual . Si sacas cualquier otro número, es simplemente un encuentro normal.

Teniendo esto en cuenta, preguntaría: si lanzas el dado 2400 veces en el mes 1 y luego en el mes 2, ¿cuál es la probabilidad de que lances un 5000? Incluso si tiraste 2.400 veces, la probabilidad de que saques un 5.000 en un dado de 5.000 caras sigue siendo de 1/5.000. Así que no hay forma de que los encuentros se "acumule". Esto también se aplica a la caza brillante. Hacer más encuentros no aumenta las posibilidades, solo aumenta la cantidad de pruebas que has realizado en un intento de obtener el resultado que deseas.

Espero que esto aclare.

Damian, if I already have a Suicune can I recapture another one next month that is already available again? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 4:57 AM, Damian said:

Q. What happens if I fail to capture the beast or kill or flee from it by accident?

A. You can re-encounter it as normal, except that the chance to encounter it will significantly increase if you fail to catch it.

Does flee count as "fail to catch it"? What I mean is, do any of the 3 cases (fail to capture, kill or flee) increase the chance to re-encounter?? I fled by accident from Raikou and now I have spent more time trying to re-encounter it than to find it for the first time.

3 hours ago, Sindago said:

Does flee count as "fail to catch it"? What I mean is, do any of the 3 cases (fail to capture, kill or flee) increase the chance to re-encounter?? I fled by accident from Raikou and now I have spent more time trying to re-encounter it than to find it for the first time.

i think yes. If you suceed catching him then it no longer appears during the month, but if not then you failed catch them

• Damian changed the title to Roaming Legendaries FAQ

I notice in the dex, it specified that Articuno was currently either currently roaming Kanto lands or Kanto seas.

I'm going to seriously pursue a Zapdos hunt this month, but I do have to ask a few questions:

1. If the dex specifies that the bird/dog is currently only catchable on land, it's absolutely a waste to go hunting on sea at that moment, correct?

2. When does that dex information (if it's roaming land or sea) change? Is the information as to where the beast is roaming consistent for any player, or is this player/client dependent?

3. Are there some suspicions that the legendary beast is actually roaming on a specific route at specific times? I've seen catching parties notably in Kanto on Island 5 trying to catch the birds.

4. What are some players thinking the encounter rate for the birds is at the moment?

On 9/1/2023 at 4:57 AM, Damian said:

Elemental Orbs drop randomly when defeating a wild pokemon with a move matching the elemental type of the bird in battle (eg faint wild mons with Zapdos using an Electric-type move for a chance at Elemental Orbs).

Do you have the chance to get an orb for every wild pokemon defeated or only once per battle? I.e. hordes can drop multiple orbs?

Another question, are we able to know the drop rate of elem. orbs?

On 1/3/2024 at 4:12 AM, Raichuforyou said:

1. If the dex specifies that the bird/dog is currently only catchable on land, it's absolutely a waste to go hunting on sea at that moment, correct?

Theoretically yes; I haven't confirmed this but I would hope that it indicates land/water for Suicune and the birds and just Land for the other two dogs

2. When does that dex information (if it's roaming land or sea) change? Is the information as to where the beast is roaming consistent for any player, or is this player/client dependent?

It should be player-dependent; IIRC it updates in the dex when you catch that month's legendary

3. Are there some suspicions that the legendary beast is actually roaming on a specific route at specific times? I've seen catching parties notably in Kanto on Island 5 trying to catch the birds.

It doesn't belong to a route; players select locations like Five Isle Meadow and Johto route 45 due to the presence of desirable lure shinies which one can passively hunt for while trying to encounter the legendary. The legendary encounter just has a chance to replace a normal encounter.

4. What are some players thinking the encounter rate for the birds is at the moment?

All we know is it's somewhere between 1/1000 and 1/8000.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:49 AM, Sindago said:

Do you have the chance to get an orb for every wild pokemon defeated or only once per battle? I.e. hordes can drop multiple orbs?

Another question, are we able to know the drop rate of elem. orbs?

I would expect hordes can only drop 1 orb just like you only get one item via Pickup for hordes. No-one knows the drop rate; you can do some farming and collect some data and if you get enough I'm happy to include it in the guide and credit you 🙂