Remove item use limit in battle

toth

Question

I just started playing again after a while, and was disappointed to find that there's a limit to the number of items you can use in a single battle--this was in a boss battle in the story. I'm assuming it was intended for PvP, but presumably it could be disabled for PvE. Or at least make it a toggleable setting.

17 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Sourcerer said:

Please keep in mind that the limit also applies to NPC trainers. Would you like them to also "toggle" the setting off and keep using items against you?

If that's something you would enjoy, I'm not here to judge, but not everyone would like that.

I mean, presumably that could also be a setting, but in the normal Pokemon games, trainers can sometimes use items but won't do it infinitely. In fact, that's the way PokeMMO worked last time I played it.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:18 PM, toth said:

I just started playing again after a while, and was disappointed to find that there's a limit to the number of items you can use in a single battle--this was in a boss battle in the story. I'm assuming it was intended for PvP, but presumably it could be disabled for PvE. Or at least make it a toggleable setting.

Its only inteded for pve, there is no item use in PVP. Its for balancing reasons so you cant just spam items to work your way through the game. Means you actually have to use some sort of skill to get through the game

On 1/4/2024 at 7:18 PM, XanarchyNL said:

Its only inteded for pve, there is no item use in PVP. Its for balancing reasons so you cant just spam items to work your way through the game. Means you actually have to use some sort of skill to get through the game

I don't see why it's something that should be forced on players, though. If some players want an extra challenge, they can use it. If others don't want it, they don't have to.

1 hour ago, toth said:

I don't see why it's something that should be forced on players, though. If some players want an extra challenge, they can use it. If others don't want it, they don't have to.

Because it impacts the in-game economy. Easier fights = more inflation. Inflation = bad for game health

25 minutes ago, XanarchyNL said:

Because it impacts the in-game economy. Easier fights = more inflation. Inflation = bad for game health

How more inflation, if you spamming hard items makes you spend more money? You has to buy the items anyway. Problem would be spam X itens on Ho-oh's fight and win easily. This has been solved hard capping to 2 X items per mon per battle

Edited by caioxlive13

For the story mode the item limit shouldnt be there because of how restrictive it is for players' gameplay. If a player wants to spam items and sweep with magikarp, they should be able to do so, its a small price to pay in exchange for satisfying players.

If you really want to p2w your way through the story, you can also use the GTL to purchase better mons.
Some good pokemon can be found for cheaper than consumable costs and you can sell them back when you are done.

You can also purchase moves, items etc. but those still require some effort towards learning the game I guess.

20 hours ago, Sourcerer said:

If you really want to p2w your way through the story, you can also use the GTL to purchase better mons.
Some good pokemon can be found for cheaper than consumable costs and you can sell them back when you are done.

You can also purchase moves, items etc. but those still require some effort towards learning the game I guess.

Your solution for people who want to play the story is...to buy your way through it?

On 1/6/2024 at 6:14 PM, XanarchyNL said:

Is there any actual evidence that using more items in PvE battles contributes to inflation? Because this change seems like a solution in search of a problem.

On 1/3/2024 at 6:16 PM, Doctor said:

*coughs* skill issue

I mean...I guess. Or an issue of not wanting to spend a while grinding for XP. But why does that matter? Should this game only be played by people who are good at Pokemon?

28 minutes ago, toth said:

Is there any actual evidence that using more items in PvE battles contributes to inflation? Because this change seems like a solution in search of a problem.

You drastically increase the rate at which you make money in pve content which outweighs the money you spend on items, I’ve seen my rates drop 10% since this change. 

The item nerf in PvE battles is so that they can design boss battles/PvE content without worrying about us bypassing it completely by abusing items. It does hinder the most casual players, but overall it's a good measure to prevent difficulty from being stupid easy.

Also, keep in mind that very sane individuals like me constantly run alt characters to berry farm or to grind specific stuff, that's why the storyline difficulty is increased compared to normal games (besides the fact that the base games are already children's games, they're super easy to beat)

6 hours ago, Doctor said:

The item nerf in PvE battles is so that they can design boss battles/PvE content without worrying about us bypassing it completely by abusing items. It does hinder the most casual players, but overall it's a good measure to prevent difficulty from being stupid easy.

Also, keep in mind that very sane individuals like me constantly run alt characters to berry farm or to grind specific stuff, that's why the storyline difficulty is increased compared to normal games (besides the fact that the base games are already children's games, they're super easy to beat)

My question is why they *care* about us "bypassing" if it's just PvE--it doesn't affect anyone else. It's also not a silver bullet to spam items--you can still lose boss fights if you're up against a type disadvantage.

6 hours ago, XanarchyNL said:

You drastically increase the rate at which you make money in pve content which outweighs the money you spend on items, I’ve seen my rates drop 10% since this change. 

Most of the fights don't, and the ones that does you need less than 4 items, like Elite 4, Cynthia and Morimoto runs, For the ones that can, just put the Red's Itemlock to prevent multiple battle items if it's an issue

Edited by caioxlive13