[Tournament] General PSL Season 2 Thread - Thug Life won!

Eh, I think managers should have to throw in at least like 100k or something.

Anyway, I'm psyched about season 2. I know it's not my decision, but #Fred4LanturnsManager, in case it's not official yet.

\o/ i promise to have internet by then also thinkie get on so i can donate

Want me pls

i want you like a piece of week old meat lovers pizza with everything

eric 4 manager

he'll be a easy win for sure

I'll add these to the OP

How do I become a manager?

As previously stated, a manager has a big role in the entire competition. Active managers can be the thing that keeps a team on top. You could say a manger's most important task is strategically drafting players and putting together a dynamic team. But even after the draft you have to keep tabs on your players, do they do well in their format? Do they need a week off to make a better team? Is one going on a trip for 2 weeks? These are all things to consider during the league stages of the PSL. So communication with your players is the key to success.

Because this is such an important task, I'll handpick managers myself. When you are thinking about applying as a manager consider this:

- Can I stay active through the whole season?

- Can I communicate well with my players?

- Can I handle team finances?

- Can I keep an eye on my players and those of the opponent

- Do I have knowledge of the competitive scene and the players?

- Will I keep interest, even when I'm on the losing side?

If you can answer yes to all this questions it's pretty safe to sign up as a manager. However, it doesn't mean you will be picked. I'll generally pick players I know better faster than players I don't know at all. As long as I know these players can handle the manager status. If you are a somewhat regular forum poster, I'll probably recognize you and that will give you a better shot as well. Try to have the best motivation for being a manager and I might be impressed. I won't take applications with 1 or 2 lines seriously.

Here are two applications from the previous sign ups that make me consider you:

[spoiler]

IGN: ImguridianCity

Motivation:

I like games, particularly the strategy aspect. As much as I love battling, team management would be more fun for me. I like demanding games that require constant attention and dedication.

Experience:

I'm a big fan of fantasy football, even though I have zero interest in football itself. I was in 3 different fantasy leagues last season, and I only actually watched one of the games. Instead on gamedays I kept my browser open to the league pages to watch how the points played out. In all 3 leagues I was the most active team manager, and in one I was the only person to initiate any successful trades.

In PokeMMO, I've only been playing since November, but I've racked up over 1200 hours since then. I spend most of my time breeding and theorymoning with teammates, but I do attend most of the official tournaments. I spectate on a lot of the PokeDailies, although I've only actually participated in a few. I play a lot of Random on SD, but I've played some Gen3 as well.

I'm a big no-lifer and I'm going to put way too much time into this for sure.

Edit: Also I do have the X-Factor.

IGN: VatsugZ

Motivation: I love competition. I want this to succeed. Turtles can sleep under water for 5 hours

Experience: I've done it in the kitchen, living-room, stairs, roof, hanging from the chandelier and most other places you can imagine. Played PokeMMO, that is.

First of all, according to a former teammate I'm a "power hungry vampire pig" and I "party with uguus". That should leave out any doubt about my manager-qualifications. For a longer version, look below.

Less, but yes! I started the 3rd of January this year (2014), however, I've spent an unusual amount of time as I've pretty much been a no-lifer for 2 months. Waiting for a license, blah, blah..

I've played every day ever since, hosted a few spontaneous tournaments, won a few unofficial tournaments and a win-statistic of 1-1 in officials (fuck yuhh!).

I know the meta well in both OU and UU, as I work as a "counselor" for teammates. A nerdy conversation about team-building is just fun.

What makes me qualified? Don't ask my real life friends to vouch for this, but in the game I always show up for what I sign up for (on time). I'm often nocturnal. I work as an assistant-teacher (2nd grade), so I can deal with people. I'm honest and don't scam other than people who speaks no English, hence the reason I'm poor / not  a shiny trader.

What else? I'll win this shit and be crowned the prince of Norway. For more info about my road to become Dalai Lama, whisper me in game.

In the end I didn't choose VatsugZ as a manager, although I liked his application it was a bit too 'jolly'. There was also the fact that I didn't know much about him and I didn't want to take any risks in the first season. I've seen Imgur around and his application was very well written with a great motivation and also a great background, it made him an excellent candidate.[/spoiler]

Here is how not to do it

[spoiler]

IGN: Rigamorty

Motivation: Looks fun

Experience(?): I've been playing this game since 2012. I've been around the comp scene for the large majority of that time, and know most if not all the competitors in this game.

It's very short and doesn't tell me much. In the end Riga did become a manager because I knew him and I knew he would stick through the whole season. Basically Riga gets away with it because I know his traits. If I see far more impressive applications this season I'll probably give them a chance over applications like these, even if I know 'em.[/spoiler]

How do I become a player in the PSL?

Sign up when the sign ups are open of course! Every team needs players, but once a team fills up they won't need more. What this means is that singing up won't guarantee that you actually will be playing, even if you sign up first. Managers will likely be players that know the competitive scene well. Meaning that accolades are an important asset. If you are a player that only plays in Viridian and never show up in tournaments, chances are managers will prefer players that show up in tournaments. (Exceptions to this rule are for example: Blonde (pls respond)).

Being an active forum member also helps, because subconsciously managers can be like 'hey I know this name..' and pick you above someone else. The easiest way is just to show up in tournaments (maybe win a round or two) and make good posts in competitive alley.

If possible pls make it two UU matches instead of one, so that JJ and I can wreck everyone together.

EDIT: I am slightly serious about my request because UU seems to be a more popular tier nowadays and with more matches, more will be the chances for a player that has been signed up, to play.

Contact me in game thinknice, went through some alts and got a decent enough donation to make now, with londars help for the transfers

Munya if you put half as much autism time into paydaying as you did the game corner, you'd be able to fund this entire thing.

make it happen.

and thonknose when ever i see you in game next i'll give you some money

Munya if you put half as much autism time into paydaying as you did the game corner, you'd be able to fund this entire thing.

make it happen.

and thonknose when ever i see you in game next i'll give you some money

Actually its quite a bit slower than even I hoped for, but I have 1mil ready to dish out

I have a shitload of tm's on the alt accounts I grabbed about 500k total off of, but I have no idea whats worth selling and whats not

Actually its quite a bit slower than even I hoped for, but I have 1mil ready to dish out

I have a shitload of tm's on the alt accounts I grabbed about 500k total off of, but I have no idea whats worth selling and whats not

the only storyline TMs really worth a damn (as in like 20k+) are psychic and earthquake. earthquake can net you about 30k~

be sure to get shit like leftovers and exp shares from the alts too, might take a lot of transferring for dex entries but it's pretty easy money

or you could just run around and catch your way to the required dex entries, think you need like 50, may or may not take a long time never tried

Ah yeah, I think I had held items on there too, a few kings rocks, metal coats, silk scarfs, dragon scales, at least one leftovers that i saw, at least one exp share(but I think I took and gave most of those away already), and a bunch of other shit

Probably a whole lot of leftovers that I just never went and picked up

the only storyline TMs really worth a damn (as in like 20k+) are psychic and earthquake. earthquake can net you about 30k~

be sure to get shit like leftovers and exp shares from the alts too, might take a lot of transferring for dex entries but it's pretty easy money

or you could just run around and catch your way to the required dex entries, think you need like 50, may or may not take a long time never tried

Without putting any effort into it,

Black Glasses x2

Dragon Scale x3
Exp Share
Kings Rock  x3
Lax Incense x2
Leftovers x7
Metal Coat x6(whogivesafuck)
Nevermelt Ice x2
Quickclaw x2
Sea Incense
Silk Scarf x2
Thick Club x4
Up-Grade x2

Earthquake x3
Psychic x2

Is what i can immediately grab and get, what of it is worth it, I can't imagine thick clubs and metal coats are, i know metal coats at least got flooded int he market forever ago, and does anybody even use steelix anymore in any tier?