[Denied]Make it possible to fly between regions

• 1 month later...

or perhaps a command you could type? A command to type is a helluva lot easier than having to go travel through the port

There is a line of balance between immersion and convenience, and a command would cross it - that would be some really crummy design.

It would also be more difficult to understand for those unfamiliar with the game.

In generation 2 as far i as i remember (gold/silver/saph) it was possible to fly between johto/kanto but as sbd pointed it's 1 rom, and here hoen, kanto are 2 diffrent rooms, but for our skilled PokeMMO staff making possible to fly from kanto to hoenn would not be a problem :) up vote this

In generation 2 as far i as i remember (gold/silver/saph) it was possible to fly between johto/kanto

It wasn't - you were able to fly to the League and use that as a way of flying to the other region, but you were unable to fly directly between the regions themelves.

There were other methods of travel, such as a boat and a train.

The League in this case represented the middle of the two regions, as they were both connected.

It wasn't - you were able to fly to the League and use that as a way of flying to the other region, but you were unable to fly directly between the regions themelves.

There were other methods of travel, such as a boat and a train.

The League in this case represented the middle of the two regions, as they were both connected.

be that as in may, PokeMMO already has the ability to switch between maps regarding kanto and islands, add hoenn to that and you're good to go

be that as in may, PokeMMO already has the ability to switch between maps regarding kanto and islands, add hoenn to that and you're good to go

I don't believe you are getting the point, I believe the current system they use to switch between regions is done by a script and code that checks for the rom, if you don't have the rom the scripted npc won't let you leave.  This is a lot easier than adding flying between regions, to do that they would need to create new code for the Map UI to check that emerald is there so they could emulate its map, and I'm sure add checks everytime you fly somewhere to make sure it is emulating the right rom.

Thats just speculation, bottom line being, its never as simple adding things in as you may think.
If its not a simple process why have them waste time making something you can already do in about a minute by flying to a port city anyways?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Okay, I'm bumping this, because staff is being staff again. I was gonna support this suggestion: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/56293-ship-guy-default-back-to-yes/, but somebody thought they had a nice argument and just closed it. I'm not sure why Hassan's comment was ignored, but I think we can all agree that changing the default from 'yes' to 'no' has pretty much no purpose now that players can no longer take the ship upon their first encounter. Players are going to waste more time by pressing the wrong button than new players will waste by going to the wrong region because of stupidity. But if you are adamant that the convenience should be in the new player's favor, please just give us the option to fly between regions. It would be win-win.

That is objectively wrong. Before, you could simply hold 'Z'. Now, you have to press down as well. And you have given us 8 months to get used to this, changing is not something that happens easily.

It may take some time, but if people are able to get used to YouTube's ever-changing layouts in the space of a month or two they can certainly get used to pushing the down arrow key to go to another region in PokeMMO.

Players are going to waste more time by pressing the wrong button than new players will waste by going to the wrong region because of stupidity.

This is just flat out wrong; it can take an hour or two to reach that far into the storyline, whereas you can correct a button press in the space of a second to a few minutes.

Even if you don't read the text and hit the 'No' button it has no substantially negative consequence.

This is just flat out wrong; it can take an hour or two to reach that far into the storyline, whereas you can correct a button press in the space of a second to a few minutes.

Even if you don't read the text and hit the 'No' button it has no substantially negative consequence.

It was a slight exaggeration, but considering how much time people put into this game, you are underestimating how much time this will waste. First of all, this is a case of principle. By showing that you care more about new players than dedicated players by inconveniencing literally everybody who has played this game for more than a few hours, you keep giving the impression that you don't give a shit. Secondly, you have already essentially eliminated the problem that could have justified this change, namely by preventing people from changing regions upon their first encounter with the ferry in the first place. The new default is not only redundant, but also inconvienent for the majority of the playerbase. Thank you for understanding.

• 2 months later...

If I understand correctly the changelog of the latest update:

Ferry between FireRed/Emerald requires 4 badges for one region, not both.

if someone collects 4 badges in any region, he can travel both ways. Correct? If yes, going accidentally to another region is not a problem anymore.
So, can we go back to "Yes" as default option in ferry dialogue?

Btw flying between regions still would be better. ;)