[UU Discussion] Breloom (remains UU)

I'm not saying he's wrong per se, but Rest Talk Pidgeot is far from useless. He also troubles a certain fatass sumo meme some of you are discussing in another thread. Fearow doesn't function the same as Pidgeot, their stats are totally different, namely Fearow is glass. There's nothing inherently wrong with finding uses and niches for Pokemon that otherwise don't see the light of meta, that's the whole point of having tiers instead of an anything goes metagame.

Hariyama Ice Punch vs Impish Pidgeot 41.1% - 48.4%

I do appreciate everyone's input, but Pidgeot is just not a good enough pokemon to be used in UU. there is a line between thinking outside the box, and trying to be innovative with something ridiculous.

After one
feather dance
-2 252+ Atk Hariyama Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pidgeot: 74-88 (20 - 23.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

But that's neither here nor there.

are you aware that switching in against a move that hits you almost 50% to reduce its attack means shit right?

Pidgeot has no recovery move to heal itself, that means that after two switch ins it is dead.

There's nothing inherently wrong with finding uses and niches for Pokemon that otherwise don't see the light of meta, that's the whole point of having tiers instead of an anything goes metagame.

Pidgeot for instance used to be NU and by current usage will pretty much with 100% chance go back to NU again. The point of the tiers is kinda opposite actually, it's that every Pokemon can have a legitimate usage in its respective tier minus the Borderline-banlist for each respective tier, so you don't have to force "bad Pokemon" just to run niche movesets to only defeat the top tier threats if we were in Anything Goes. About Featherdance, the only time I've seen a stat lowering strategy to work is when someone has a Spiker and a special wall like Umbreon preventing physical damage with Charm while causing spikes damage on the switches. As itself stat lowering moves in competitive play are just bad 99% of the time.

I personally remain in my opinion that I think Breloom is too much for UU. The fact the sleep cripples one Pokemon and forces to switch another to take huge damage from Focus Punch/Superpower for pretty much anything is such an insane force to deal with. I'm aware it has counters, hard counters even. I'm aware you can surprise Breloom by having a random Lum berry here and there, so Breloom isn't a sure shot in a lot of cases. Either way it just limits the metagame just too much with SporePunch and could possibly be even an insane overall Choice Bander so not like you would be ever too safe to switch in a faster than Breloom Pokemon to just absorb the Spore with Lum Berry because if it's a CBer, then it's going to kill something.

Edited by OrangeManiac

[spoiler]
[spoiler]
>replying to threads you didn't read[/spoiler][/spoiler]
Can we stop shitting up this thread now? I promise I won't post anything I didn't find on Smogon again.

You responding to every ounce of criticism with an insanely inappropriate level of snark is the only thing shitting up this thread. At the end of the day, resttalk pidgeot is just a check, not a counter. It's an interesting set, but I don't think the existance of one extra check diminishes breloom's power all that much. I still think it sets up a sub far too easily, and once behind a sub it hits like a damn semi. It puts an insane amount of pressure on its opponents while being pretty risk free to use (so you spore something that can absorb it...so what? Just switch out and rinse/repeat later)

I like the point someone made earlier about sleeptalk being pretty unreliable with the sleep nerf

Ok people, Pidgeot with Feather Dance is a check. A check. Is it a reach for a check? Yes. You guy established it could be effective, but it would not, and will not, be common.

Let's move things along.

dont forget about cb insomnia ariados

Also lol at you coming in three hours after the last post and attempting to put out a non existent fire Edited by Gunthug

I don't think the existance of one extra check diminishes breloom's power all that much. I still think it sets up a sub far too easily, and once behind a sub it hits like a damn semi. It puts an insane amount of pressure on its opponents while being pretty risk free to use (so you spore something that can absorb it...so what? Just switch out and rinse/repeat later)

I like the point someone made earlier about sleeptalk being pretty unreliable with the sleep nerf

should i still run atk/spd without spore move? can't relearn it, because evolved before 40 i guess, and i won't breed it most likely

Yes and run choice band, otherwise it's useless. But this isn't competitive assistance

Resttalk nidoqueen is pretty good in UU and counters breloom. Adamant focus punch can be a 5hko sometimes and nido can sludge bomb it and has EQ to dent steelix if it tries to switch in, and helps a lot against fighting spam. Gets walled by haunter though so trappers are good teammates

The UU Council finds that Breloom currently does not meet the criteria for being banned to BL (OU).

So this means that for now, Breloom will stay in the UU tier.

In the future, when the UU tier has seen some changes, this pokemon may be discussed some more.

On that note I'll be locking this thread and putting it in the Competition Archive.

• Munya pinned this topic