NU Viability Thread

so many resists!

93a6ce997966bdd00e696a5f2b3be5e9.png

Also paying 45k BP is a bit of a hassle to actually use lickitung and has coverage issues if it runs wish/protect/heal bell. Even 2 coverage moves has a lot of flaws, either steel or ghost types. 

*resists as in nothing is SE against it- something that no other Special wall in the tier (except Ampharos and I guess Sableye but it's pretty bad) can claim to have

*resists as in nothing is SE against it- something that no other Special wall in the tier (except Ampharos and I guess Sableye but it's pretty bad) can claim to have

Some resists are better than no resists. I imagine it would lose to some calm minders since it doesn't resist psychic or water or anything. Its base stats are pretty decent though for NU. 

Some resists are better than no resists. I imagine it would lose to some calm minders since it doesn't resist psychic or water or anything. Its base stats are pretty decent though for NU. 

Well you can always run Return/Body Slam for the Calm Minders and Theif/Shadow Ball to hit Ghosts/Psychics. Not perfect, but it pairs well with other utility pokes like Mantine (who prevents Poliwrath, the Nidos and most Calm Minders from getting too cocky) and definitely appreciates the Heal Bell and Wish support that Lickitung provides. I'm a little wary of running Protect on anything in NU, however, just because of how rare Choice Banders are and how many free switches it can give away. It can also run Disable or Screech, two seemingly bad options that make that can prevent a full CM set up or make Body Slam all the more threatening.

It's not perfect, but it at least looks usable on paper, especially with Flareon having so many hard to cover weaknesses.

Added some ranks:

Pinsir to A: Amazing physical sweeper with a lot of diversity with Flail starts or flat out CB. Amazing base physical attack but lack of STAB hurts. Also speed is quite mediocre and needs Salac to sweep teams. Also like Robo said, quite nicely checked by Blastoise all day every day.

Gorebyss to A: A bit situational sweeper which should not be underestimated at all. Speed is enough to outspeed the tier in rain and that STAB Surf does insane damage and can sweep late game. Especially good if someone else sets up the rain for it because it has such mediocre bulk.

Roselia to B+: Works surprisingly well in defensive based teams indeed and Spikes is something really rare and nice in NU. However, the low base stats make it difficult to live many hits.

Added some ranks:

Pinsir to A: Amazing physical sweeper with a lot of diversity with Flail starts or flat out CB. Amazing base physical attack but lack of STAB hurts. Also speed is quite mediocre and needs Salac to sweep teams. Also like Robo said, quite nicely checked by Blastoise all day every day.

Gorebyss to A: A bit situational sweeper which should not be underestimated at all. Speed is enough to outspeed the tier in rain and that STAB Surf does insane damage and can sweep late game. Especially good if someone else sets up the rain for it because it has such mediocre bulk.

Roselia to B+: Works surprisingly well in defensive based teams indeed and Spikes is something really rare and nice in NU. However, the low base stats make it difficult to live many hits.

I would go out to say that pinsir will beat blastoise in most scenarios. Blastoise can only 3hko pinsir with surf and pinsir can do a lot of damage with a +2 eq or superpower. 

Gorebyss is pretty nice, considering ampharos is no longer a threat it has to worry about. With hidden power electric, it can pretty much take out a huge chunk of any pokemon in the meta. Special bulk is a bit unfortunate though, dying to most special attacks fairly easily. 

Even though I'm a huge fan of roselia, its physical defense is pitiful. Meaning it fears pursuits a ton. Pursuit scyther can do over 90% to roselia if it switches out, meaning roselia needs to run protect to be effective which kind of limits its moveset. Also its lost some of its niche now that ampharos is banned, so now it has a bit less utility on most teams. 

Well you can always run Return/Body Slam for the Calm Minders and Theif/Shadow Ball to hit Ghosts/Psychics. Not perfect, but it pairs well with other utility pokes like Mantine (who prevents Poliwrath, the Nidos and most Calm Minders from getting too uguuy) and definitely appreciates the Heal Bell and Wish support that Lickitung provides. I'm a little wary of running Protect on anything in NU, however, just because of how rare Choice Banders are and how many free switches it can give away. It can also run Disable or Screech, two seemingly bad options that make that can prevent a full CM set up or make Body Slam all the more threatening.

It's not perfect, but it at least looks usable on paper, especially with Flareon having so many hard to cover weaknesses.

Wtf, how odd.. Our duel yesterday I used Licki+Mantine(I only just read your post now). Maybe we think alike ;)

Wish+Heal bell are too good not to use imo. I noticed there is so much status in NU, so heal bell thrives. I do agree, protect can be replaced, it's not really as useful as it is in other tiers.

Other good options..

Seismic Toss, Knock off, Disable, Toxic, Body Slam, Sball, Thief, Counter.

This set just crying out for Night Shade I think.

Oh, and like I'v said before. Just because Lickitung can't kill Haunter(If no Thief/Sball, Knock off), you can wish something in that can.

Edited by KaynineXL
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As no one is willing to give inputs, I guess I'll put up some.

Hypno - S Rank. Amazing Pokemon. Can be a Cleric, can be a CM sweeper with enormous movepool, has access to counter, gets amazing set up utility moves. Amazing Pokemon. As a CM sweeper not necessarily better than Xatu or Grumpig due to lack of speed and Whirlwind and such but the unpredictability makes Hypno one of the best NU Pokemon out there.

Sneasel - A Rank. Really powerful sweeper with Dark and Ice STABs and really awesome speed. Would be a top tier Pokemon if only Hitmontop didn't hard counter it to oblivion. Regardless, a really good Pokemon to limit the high performance of Psychic-types in the NU tier.

Walrein - S Rank. Insane diversity and all around base stats. Such a simple set of Toxic, Super Fang, Ice Beam, Surf already threatens the whole tier but in addition Walrein can Curse for buffs, Encore for preventing set up on it and so on. A little bit unfortunate typing but the pros outweigh the cons.

Xatu - A+. Insane Pokemon but arguably overall weaker than other Psychic-types.

Whiscash - A. This Pokemon can make sweeps happen out of nowhere with Dragon Dance, fairly nice bulk and nice STAB moves. Gets hard countered by Tangela and Bellossom, so it's not a free set up to sweep Pokemon.

Gligar - B+. While it still seems underwhelming due to having Lapras and Walrein in the tier countering it to oblivion, it's still a nice defensive pivot and can also set up and sweep you before you realize due to nice STABs and SD + Agility.

Bellossom - A. Great water and rock-type check which the tier needs. Most of them in the tier are physical attackers so some may prefer Tangela over but it's more reliable as it doesn't get destroyed by special offense either.

Golem - B+. Nice physical sweeper/tank with two nice STABs but unfortunately slow and a lot of (fast) Water-types hurt Golem a bit.

I don't think Hypno is on the same level as Walrein.

Walrein for S rank and I'd give Hypno A/A+. Same goes for Grumpig.

edit:

The changes I'd make if it was me.

Grumpig A+

Hypno A+

Zangoose A

Roselia A

Armaldo A+ (heavily think this)

Sharpedo B (It's great but so many Poliwrath around though which really stops it, lets not forget how hard it is to bring in)

Poliwrath A/A+

Edited by KaynineXL

I don't think Hypno is on the same level as Walrein.

Walrein for S rank and I'd give Hypno A/A+. Same goes for Grumpig.

edit:

The changes I'd make if it was me.

Grumpig A+

Hypno A+

Zangoose A

Roselia A

Armaldo A+ (heavily think this)

Sharpedo B (It's great but so many Poliwrath around though which really stops it, lets not forget how hard it is to bring in)

Poliwrath A/A+

Think Zangoose should be A- it's good against stall but Hitmontop & Armaldo get in the way in most matches. Zangoose's paper defenses really make its life hard, especially with the popularity of superfast sweepers like Buzz and Sneasel. Overall I almost always find its performance middling, despite having a useful ability, great attack stat and decent coverage it just doesn't support its team as well as you want it to - one attack from almost anything sends you into the red.

Hypno should be be A+ because it's pretty 1-dimensional. It's going to have wish/protect and probably Toxic - the only surprise it might pack is Focus Punch for Sneasel or Psychic for for some STAB output. Imo it's not S Rank, despite being a great teammate its reliance on its one set combined with its weakness to the ever common Toxic stall means it needs support of its own to function - which isn't true of S Ranks in general.

I'm also down on Roselia - the popularity of Psychics, Sneasel, Top (or other could-be Rapid Spinners) and a lot of other potent attackers with STABs that can wound Rosy makes it a relatively hard thing to get into play. If it goes physically bulky it can abuse Poliwrath's popularity but then surprise Ice Beams or coverage moves from bulky waters are no longer a safe entry. Overall, it's a flimsy spiker in a tier where even the walls can hit it for decent damage. B+ imo.

Sharknado for B: even with CB it's weak, it can't switch in and it gets walled by Poliwrath, Lapras and Hitmontop. Needs a lot of support and careful play to be effective and is weak to several S Ranks

Speaking of S-Rank: Lapras is a beast. Its speed puts it ahead of Poliwrath, Walrein and Armaldo - all really viable and scary pokemon that sort of check each other but all fall to Lapras after some prior damage or Spikes. Not even to mention that it can Perish trap or just use Perish Song to keep setup pokes like Grumpig at bay, or combine with spikes to force switches and rack up damage.

I almost think Armaldo should be S but I'll go with A+, absolutely great poke but it suffers from how dominant Water types are. Nonetheless, it breaks pretty much every wall in the tier.

Edited by Robofiend

orange update this shit with my rankings

Poliwrath for A: A great bulky sweeper with a multitude of moves for running down opponents. Sub Punch sets abuse its solid attack stat and great dual STABs and Bulk Up allows it to take on Hitmontop or Armaldo without fear. Since it's slow, Body Slam can help against offensive switch ins like Tropius or Lovely Kiss can be used to put an enemy to sleep from behind the sub. Its reasonable bulk also allows it to live STAB electric from the likes of Electabuzz or Electrode, assuming it's at near full health. Overall, it's great for checking rock/ground/fighting and getting an edge with any of its sets, and its usage reflects this.

Magmar for B+: This thing is almost never seen but moderately useful if played well. The Belly drum set allows it to set up on a weak grass or choice locked pokemon (Sneasel) and then start to sweep. Its speed tier is solid: it outspeeds max speed Gligar, Pinsir, Golduck and Nidoking and hits hard enough to break through walls like Grumpig, Mantine, Flareon and Lapras after the drum. Since many of the pokemon around its speed tier (the ones listed above) often run bulky/powerful sets instead of max speed ones, Adamant Magmar also has a niche, allowing for even better firepower. Thunder+Fire Punches are unresisted outside of Whishcash, the most surefire Magmar check in the game outside of never seen special variants. Mach Punch is another egg move with some viability, at +6 it has a 40% chance to OHKO a perfect Buzz and a 75% chance to OHKO a 25/25 hp/def buzz. It also benefits from players choosing Sneasel over Scyther as a fast CB-er since Mach Punch only barely dents Scyther and cleanly destroys Sneasel. Last, Magmar's ability, Flame Body is useful as a sac switch in on CB's, giving you a 30% of a crippling burn.

Tropius for B: While its bulk, moveset and access to Dragon Dance are amazing, it has to play extremely carefully in a tier filled with STAB Ice Beams, STAB Ice Punches and other attacks that can take a sizeable portion of its HP. Regardless, once it gets to +2 it outspeeds the entire metagame and has STABs (and EQ) to cover pretty much everything in the metagame for at least neutral damage. As long as it plays well, its good to go, but often Tropius finds itself thin on opportunities to set up and fully become a threat against defensive teams.

Misdreavus for B+: Lots of sets, lots of options and good typing/ability let this thing into play against Hitmontop and start being useful immediately. Unfortunately, it hates Pursuit and is slow enough to find itself in a pinch here and ther, but it loves being able to CM boost, Heal Bell, and blast enemies with the standard Shadow Ball + Tbolt set. As one of the few pokemon that can stop Walrein with the right set, Misd is definitely useful.

Glalie for A: As the tier's lone useful spiker, Glalie deserves some respect. While Qwilfish, Roselia and Cacturne can lay spikes, none of them really have the support moveset, stats or typing to be effective in that role. Glalie's medium-good defenses, relatively large movepool and good support options (Super Fang, Taunt, Crunch, EQ, Ice Beam, etc.) allow it to help its team out against walls without just being a sac-spiker who later loses to a Rapid Spinner. When paired with the right partners, spikes make the difference and a lot of the tier disregards how useful they really are by failing to bring a rapid spinner.

Flareon for A, not A+: Despite having a heyday as the premier Grumpig, Xatu and Haunter counter, Flareon's not as useful as it once was. Its support movepool is incredibly useful, but it struggles to both support and provide enough offense against these threats to win. Without attack investment it loses to Bold Xatu and without Spdef investment it needs to stay really healthy in order to swap in against the tier's Calm Minders. While it's still the premier Ninetales counter, I usually feel like I'm missing something I need when I'm using it - either it's not strong enough to break through defense or not bulky enough to provide it. It also faces competition now as a Cleric, since Hypno, Misd, Bellossom, Grumpig and Lapras can synergize to perform these roles.

more some other time

Some thoughts:

Zangoose is fine at where it is at A+. Especially with the increased viability of Lapras/Walrein, Low Kick is one of the main breaking moves for these Pokemon. In addition it hits so hard it's scary. I've felt like I can slap it in any day, any team, anywhere.

Hypno and Grumpig: Alright fair enough, maybe calling them S is a bit too much. A+ it is.

Roselia was already B+.

You're right about Sharpedo, with the increased usage of Lapras/Walrein/Poliwrath Sharpedo has really tough time succeeding and the all so existent Hitmontop's Mach Punch annoys one. B is definitely right.

I tend to agree with Lappy's S. Mainly because of the Perish Trap set. As an overall sweeper it doesn't lose much to Walrein but I still feel like it does. But this unpredictable factor makes Lapras S rankish.

I'm not against putting Armaldo A+.

Wrath -> A. Yep, definitely.

Definitely agreed about Magmar as well, I'm yet wait to see a Belly Drum one. But it might work.

Agreed on bananabrah.

I think MisD is fine at A. It can make sweeps happen quite easily with CM set and phazers aren't that common of a thing right now.

Flareon might be more A, yeah.

Qwilfish for B: It can set up spikes quite easily, take out a pokemon with destiny bond or even sweep as Sdance Swift swimmer.

Electabuzz for A: Its Tbolt, hp grass/ice and psychic coverage are pretty good, it outspeeds the most part of the meta. Definitely a good lategame sweeper worth of A rank.

Aggron for B: It covers most Xatu, choice band locked zangoose and its CB iron tail / rock slide does massive damage to anything in the tier.

Pinsir for B+: Hyper cutter doesn't give a shit about Hitmontop, so Sdance is gonna be really good. Has a good speed and decent bulk, only thing limiting it is its horrendous movepool.

Qwilfish for B: It can set up spikes quite easily, take out a pokemon with destiny bond or even sweep as Sdance Swift swimmer.

Electabuzz for A: Its Tbolt, hp grass/ice and psychic coverage are pretty good, it outspeeds the most part of the meta. Definitely a good lategame sweeper worth of A rank.

Aggron for B: It covers most Xatu, choice band locked zangoose and its CB iron tail / rock slide does massive damage to anything in the tier.

Pinsir for B+: Hyper cutter doesn't give a shit about Hitmontop, so Sdance is gonna be really good. Has a good speed and decent bulk, only thing limiting it is its horrendous movepool.

Owilfish sounds fair. It's pretty underrated. Really nice spiker with Dbond.

Electabuzz might even be A+. Amazing late game sweeper, hard to counter and because of the amount of water-types in tier even more viable.

Aggron sounds fair.

Pinsir is higher than B+. It hits like a truck, the bulk/overall base stats are good and it has just enough to cover pretty much everything enough. I'd call it A, A+ is an option too.

Wanting to hear more discussion about these.

Edited by OrangeManiac

Qwilfish lol, there is more important problems in NU lol, qwilfish has maybe 2% usage  (can't even find it in the list)

Qwilfish swiftswim : LOL you play kabu it has double attack 10x better coverage.

I love that council, you rank pokemons but i don't think one of you even played Qwilfish (i did) and i can affirm Qwilfish is outdated and can't struggle in this tier too offensive for him.

PS : pls butterfree B+ : insane speed, amazing ability never miss sleep powder and can use nightmare (OP Oo) it's one of the lead of the metagame pls discusssssssss!

Qwilfish lol, there is more important problems in NU lol, qwilfish has maybe 2% usage  (can't even find it in the list)

Qwilfish swiftswim : LOL you play kabu it has double attack 10x better coverage.

I love that council, you rank pokemons but i don't think one of you even played Qwilfish (i did) and i can affirm Qwilfish is outdated and can't struggle in this tier too offensive for him.

PS : pls butterfree B+ : insane speed, amazing ability never miss sleep powder and can use nightmare (OP Oo) it's one of the lead of the metagame pls discusssssssss!

The Viability list is not a "problem" list. We have the [Discussion] threads to assess problematic pokemon.

This thread compares the relative power / usefulness of pokemon in the tier. Just because a pokemon isn't used often, doesn't mean it's bad.

Don't mistake the Viability thread for [NU] Tier Discussion Request.

The Viability list is not a "problem" list. We have the [Discussion] threads to assess problematic pokemon.

This thread compares the relative power / usefulness of pokemon in the tier. Just because a pokemon isn't used often, doesn't mean it's bad.

Don't mistake the Viability thread for [NU] Tier Discussion Request.

One aspect of viability is their usage in the meta game. See definition of B rank viability "These Pokemon exert an above average presence in the metagame."

Qwilfish is pretty much never seen in the NU meta and its not too difficult to see why. It lacks intimidate and can't really reliably set up spikes. Its not powerful enough unless it runs swords dance and rain dance, but even then, it lacks physical poison stab meaning it can't hit tangela/bellossom/poliwrath. It has pretty cool typing but lacks the useful intimidate ability and lacks a specific niche within the meta at the moment. 

Yeah, not like we have ranked already 21 Pokemon more viable than Qwilfish. We're definitely considering it banworthy here.

Seriously, what on earth is this post?

THE IRONY IS REAL OH GOD

I feel Robo did a good job at giving reasons why on the Pokemon I listed above. Here are some new ones.

Please do tell me if you agree or not :>

Ninetales: B - I feel Ninetales is a very strong Pokemon in NU and has multiple movesets that can sweep well. It's got real nice bulk especially in the sp def side. I wanted to put Ninetales higher, because generally it does well for me when I use it, the only problem is there are a few Pokemon that wall it with ease and they are quite popular. Some examples would be Flareon/Lapras/Grumpig(with thick fat).

Gligar: A - I think Gligar definitely deserves to be moved up to A, from B. It's a nice physical attacker that can be played bulky and speedy with great sweeping capabilities. It has that Ground + Electric immunity which is always nice in a team. It has duel stabs, not to mention flying which is very good for Hitmontop, a popular physical wall, and EQ which is probably one of the best stab moves in the game because of its huge 100 power & 100 accuracy. On top of that, it's a solid user of quick attack which is always nice in a team.

Pinsir A - Hyper Cutter is one of the best abilities in NU for a physical attacker because of Hitmontop alone. Not only that, it actually has pretty great bulk in the defensive side, so it can take a hit from physical Pokemon. I think the typing is pretty great with the respectable bulk because it resist fighting/ground which is really solid. The reason why I don't let it go any higher than A is because it lacks a stab move and it's just not fast enough to sweep efficiently.

Piloswine B+/A - Piloswine is quite unique, it gets that double stab Ice/ground combo which is probably the best thing about Piloswine. There is nothing in NU(nothing viable anyway) that can take EQ+Ice beam, and it does very unexpected damage, It can 1v1 grass Pokemon who try 1v1 it like Roselia & Tangela. It has respectable bulk and is immune to electric, with a bit of HP invest it can only be 3hko by hidden power from stuff like Ebuzz which makes it a good switch in. The downside to Piloswine is it has pretty nasty weakness which is why you use it as a CB hit and run poke. It's usually not going to sweep due to it's lack of speed, but it can break bulky things like Hitmontop that switch in and try to wall it only to get beat.

Edited by KaynineXL

I feel Robo did a good job at giving reasons why on the Pokemon I listed above. Here are some new ones.

Please do tell me if you agree or not :>

Ninetales: B - I feel Ninetales is a very strong Pokemon in NU and has multiple movesets that can sweep well. It's got real nice bulk especially in the sp def side. I wanted to put Ninetales higher, because generally it does well for me when I use it, the only problem is there are a few Pokemon that wall it with ease and they are quite popular. Some examples would be Flareon/Lapras/Grumpig(with thick fat).

Gligar: A - I think Gligar definitely deserves to be moved up to A, from B. It's a nice physical attacker that can be played bulky and speedy with great sweeping capabilities. It has that EQ + Electric immunity which is always nice in a team. It has duel stabs, not to mention flying which is very good for Hitmontop, a popular physical wall, and EQ which is probably one of the best stab moves in the game because of its huge 100 power & 100 accuracy. On top of this, it's a solid user of quick attack which is always nice in a team.

Pinsir A - Hyper Cutter is one of the best abilities in NU for a physical attacker because of Hitmontop alone. Not only this, it actually has pretty great bulk in the defensive side, so it can take a hit from physical Pokemon. I think the typing is pretty great with the respectable bulk because it resist fighting/ground which is really solid. The reason why I don't let it go any higher than A is because it lacks a stab move and it's just not fast enough to sweep efficiently.

Piloswine B+/A - Piloswine is quite unique, it gets that double stab Ice/ground combo which is probably the best thing about Piloswine. There is nothing in NU(nothing viable anyway) that can take EQ+Ice beam, and it does very unexpected damage, It can 1v1 grass Pokemon who try 1v1 it like Roselia & Tangela. It has respectable bulk and is immune to electric, with a bit of HP invest it can only be 3hko by hidden power from stuff like Ebuzz which makes it a good switch in. The downside to Piloswine is it has pretty nasty weakness which is why you use it as a hit and run poke. It's usually not going to sweep due to it's lack of speed, but it can break bulky things like Hitmontop that switch in and try to wall it only to get beat.

Spot on with Ninetales. Really nice overall mon but the way it can be countered is really awful. Gligar, I'm willing to hear opinions for it. I've felt it's a bit underwhelming but I've seen people running it successfully. Pinsir definitely sounds like A to me too. Piloswine has got better when it counters the main electric-type in the tier now (which isn't Pikachu anymore) and it can punish Tangela in the way no other physical Ground-type can. A just seems a too much for it but I'm personally willing to give it B+.

Edited by OrangeManiac

Spot on with Ninetales. Really nice overall mon but the way it can be countered is really awful. Gligar, I'm willing to hear opinions for it. I've felt it's a bit underwhelming but I've seen people running it successfully. Pinsir definitely sounds like A to me too. Piloswine has got better when it counters the main electric-type in the tier now (which isn't Pikachu anymore) and it can punish Tangela in the way no other physical Ground-type can. A just seems a too much for it but I'm personally willing to give it B+.

I like Gligar and I have swept with it many times(against you iirc :P), I find it somewhat tough to get that ground resist in NU, and Gligar is a pretty nice choice.

I gave Pilo B+/A because I wasn't sure if I was being biased as a user myself. Good to hear other rankings.

Edited by KaynineXL

I like Gligar and I have swept with it many times(against you iirc :P), I find it somewhat tough to get that ground resist in NU, and Gligar is a pretty nice choice.

I gave Pilo B+/A because I wasn't sure if I was being biased as a user myself. Good to hear other rankings.

Just for the record, I didn't use my Lapras/Walrein which I slap to every team ever. That's my main issue with Gligar. These things are everywhere.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.