NU Viability Thread

I decided I'll wait for the last NU tournaments usage as well as the upcoming NU tourney usage in few days and then according to discussion so far in this thread I'll start making preliminary ranks. Usage is kinda important in terms of viability rankings: I did argue that it cannot base on those obviously but just you cannot rank something too high if there is no usage.

I'm gonna say NU is healthy right now and Pinsir is just a threat popping up that'll be dealt with soon. At this moment in time I'd give it a A+. :)

I feel people were trying so much to counter Zangoose that it gave too much space for Pinsir. 

So, thanks to yours truly (I'd like to think it was me) , the power of Tree Brah has been revealed. It's got good base stats overall which allow it a guaranteed set up on almost any poke. I think jolly max speed is 113, so at +1, it gets to 169 which allows it to outspeed ninetales. One more Ddance and it outspeeds everything in the tier which is scary af. The main set is Dragon Dance / Leaf Blade / Aerial Ace / Earthquake and I must say that the coverage is insane. Without pokemon like vileplume/crobat to check it easily, it's an ideal late game sweeper. At +1, it won't be faster than Scyther and can't kill Scyther even but neither can Scyther ohko it back. According to the calcs Robo did, choice banded scyther wing attack has a 60% chance to ohko it. Other pokes that could possibly stop its sweep would be glalie+armaldo I assume. Bulky water types could work but that leaf blade stab along with its high crit ratio makes you hesitant to use a water pokemon to try and stop it. 

I've always felt it was quite op but never had an ideal moment to set up. I guess ppl can argue that it has shit stats for attk/speed but the typing and bulk allow it to be a bigger threat. I'd like to hear what the rest of the community thinks about it.

Bananasaur for S Rank lol

It's probably an A/A- (way better than Whiscash as DD). Great dual STAB, great bulk and its two main weaknesses (Ice, Rock) are comparably rare in the tier. I should also mention Armaldo/Cradily can stop it at +2, but that a lot of other pokes can't hang.

The only real problem with Tropius is that it needs to set up to be effective, base 68 attack is just ugly, and even with its good bulk, there are lots of things that can come in on the first DD and force it to attack while throwing a SE rock slide at it.

+2 252+ Atk Tropius Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cradily: 115-136 (59.5 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tropius Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Armaldo: 111-132 (60.9 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(+atk nature for emphasis that it can't 2HKO)

The infamous Tree Brah was great yesterday, I saw him sweep 3 different teams with no problem.

Shelgon wall can take a lot of hits with wish, but sadly can do nothing in return beside toxic stall :(
All the intimidate pokemons of the tier (hitmontop/masquerain/mawile) do not have much to threathen him either.

I agree that it is pretty safe to consider him a A rank.

[hr]

Edit: I did some calcs and turns out that torkoal can do quite well against Tropius:

+1 252 Atk Tropius Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 66-78 (37.2 - 44%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Torkoal Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tropius: 104-126 (59.7 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Wynaut would also be able to suicide trap him, but it would suck if it came to that.

Shuckle is also a good answer (toxic stalling or encore safe switching).

Edited by lamerb

Bf, you should make a comp alley thread for yourself and simply post your videos from official tournaments. Would make for an excellent addition to the forums. If you intend to continue posting that is.

Thatd be cool. Also labeling times and the people battling in said thread would be cool.

Bf, you should make a comp alley thread for yourself and simply post your videos from official tournaments. Would make for an excellent addition to the forums. If you intend to continue posting that is. 

he plans to discontinue on 19th August for schooling he says in a video

All the intimidate pokemons of the tier (hitmontop/masquerain/mawile) do not have much to threathen him either.

All these mons get access to SE moves against trop. Hitmon gets RS and maybe ice punch, masq gets silver wind, signal beam, and ice beam, and maw gets RS and ice punch. Trop would be stupid to stay in on these. But I agree A is fair. After 2 ddances it's pretty much gg.

All these mons get access to SE moves against trop. Hitmon gets RS and maybe ice punch, masq gets silver wind, signal beam, and ice beam, and maw gets RS and ice punch. Trop would be stupid to stay in on these. But I agree A is fair. After 2 ddances it's pretty much gg.

The problem is that Tropius has a SE moves to hit each one of those intimidate pokemons. They can come on tropius maybe once and scare him away, but as soon as they lose some hit points, Tropius will be able to kill them.

Hitmontop, being arguably the best switch in option on most physical attacks, will probably not be full hp at the end of a duel which is where tropius usually come in play.

Masquerain is a complete underdog in NU. The flying/bug typing is really awful. The only move that can threathen Tropius is ice beam (I forgot that he had access to ice beam XD). Signal beam/silverwing is neutral and aeral ace is just pitiful. 

68,8% OHKO as adamant with ice punch is the best mawile can do. Since 2 earthquake can kill mawile, that 68.8% is not good enough for me.

A more defensive mawile (def investement instead of atk) would just lose viability in the tier imo.

LF stealth rocks. But I still don't think trop is OP. It needs a ddance up to touch anything. The only reason I feel it's so gud is that people don't expect a ddance trop. Now that more people know it's around, it won't get as many surprise sweeps.

Now what you should be concerned about is stick farfectchd :] /s

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.